To become a Community Lead, please fill out the form at the bottom of the page.
If you would like to nominate a community lead, please share this page with them.
A Community Lead is as simple as it sounds – a gamer who has stepped up to help one or several local gaming communities. It’s someone whom OKgamers can go to and rely on to “help us help them“.
Are they on staff? “Staff” help with almost all promotional events; volunteers opt in to help when they are available.
Community Leads help we have questions on their game(s) or when they opt in to have their game be at a tournament or Promotional Event. They are the only non-staff that can access OKgamers’ tournament/event brackets while we run an event, etc. They do not officially volunteer outside of their own game, and only when they’ve signed up to do so. Community Leads are directly helping their own game(s) get more attention and growth in the local community.
And they do: CL’s are directly responsible for getting their community $1,000′s of dollars in attention and sponsorship at events each year, and a chance to grow rather than fade away. Any game you’ve seen OKgamers work with in the last 6 years has had a Community Lead helping us get the national rules, gather hardware for events, and get the word out.
Your local game community is MISSING OUT on potentially $1,000′s of dollars every year in sponsorships, prizes and more. Stop missing out! Encourage someone today to step up from your community so you all get more events!!
List of existing Community Leads:
Mortal Kombat – Blake “GamerBlake90″ Whitworth
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 – Rockee “Branka” Harjo
Super Smash Bros. Melee / Brawl – Josh “ChuckNasty” Smith
Call of Duty – MW3 – Ricky “Timmy Scorcher” McNeal of HxC
Gears of War 3 – Ricky “Timmy Scorcher” McNeal of HxC
Halo 4 - Ricky “Timmy Scorcher” McNeal of HxC
Dota 2 – Ben “LinkinPudge“ McNeal
League of Legends – Cody “D3ADL” Willmon
Warhammer 40K – Lynn Moore
Star Fleet Battles – Lynn Moore
Starfire – Lynn Moore
List of Games we see Oklahoma Playing:
Street Fighter – Tekken – Soul Calibur – Forza – FIFA – Madden - NBA 2k13 – Settlers of Catan – Magic the Gathering – Legends of the 5 Rings – Starcraft II – Nova 4 – Playstation All-Stars – World of Warcraft – Pokemon DS – LARP; ANY AND ALL TABLETOP & ROLEPLAYING GAMES! PC GAMES!
Your game not on the list?
Your community never get attention at a competitive event?
They go hand in hand. Help us help you; be a Community Lead!
Why so many console games?
We’ve had a larger response from new Community Leads for console gaming; they don’t have businesses that cater to them creating events like the CCG or some of the Tabletop community. We still do larger events where all gaming happens – so we need Community Leads for PC gaming, as well Tabletop and CCG!
Why so few CCG or Tabletop games?
We know most games already have businesses that are the center of their community; OKg policy is to not complete, so we rarely organize events for CCG and Tabletop…
However. When an event is convention level we help organize CCG, Tabletop and Larping events. While you rarely do events beyond 2 or 3 times a year, we’d love to have more CL’s focused in these areas; please consider becoming a community lead!
Why so few PC GAMERS?
Other than Dota and LoL; we’ve found zero communities that are both public and/or want to if you know of local gamers that play consistently in the Oklahoma area, and would like to step up – let’s do this!
OKgamers is not in the business of duplicating or competing with the local community. We work WITH for community, not against.
A Community Lead agrees to 3 duties:
- Keep OKgamers players up to date on the National Tournament rules for their chosen games and overall scene.
- Keep active with local gamers, scene; attend events, go to practices. Be a regular, not a random.
- Help OKgamers with Promotional Events when the CL wishes their game included. The CL also helps set dates for events, promote/re-post these events to their game’s national scene via the National community website(s), and be involved in running brackets for their game(s) at a Promotional Event if needed due to potential low volunteer turnout, or covering for bathroom breaks, etc.
What do these tasks really mean? What would you do as a CL?
Communication on “Up to Date” – the literal answer:
-You must be knowledgeable about the latest Rules and changes to your game.
– On the scene overall you keep us up to date via a Facebook Group. READ – you must have a Facebook Account as a result.
Keep Active with the scene – the literal answer:
– Attend a majority of local events for your game (if at all possible). If not, keep up to date with those that did. If your city has a local practice, be familiar with that. Just like we said above – you are a ‘regular’ member of your community, not a ‘unknown’.
Help OKgamers at a Promotional Event – the literal answer:
– OPT IN: We post in the Facebook group about an event opportunity and a potential date; you let us know if you are interested in having your game(s) there, and that you are available.
– Initial Date: They review our date(s) and make sure we aren’t double booking with your game’s regional events.
– Brackets: We set them up; but we look to CL’s and other travelling leaders to make sure we seed properly by skill and location. Also, you may be asked to take over for ‘breaks’ – simply clicking on who won in the tournament bracket software, and calling out the next match.
- HARDWARE: If it’s a promotional event, it may be “potluck” or BYO Console, etc. OKgamers will come to you in the FB group and ask “How much hardware can you help get there?”. Our Staff owns some hardware, but we do work with a game’s CL to make sure we get a base hardware collection for the game, or else we cannot add it to an event. How do you help with this? You ask around, find out who is down to bring what is needed from the local community or those attending, and let us know a final number “2 consoles and 3 disks”, “4 setups”, etc.
Our 6th Anniversary event taught us 2 things for sure; we can’t let gamers sign up for whatever they want with 15+ tournaments happening (due to overlap), and we NEED to have a CL for any future Promotional Event game title.
To apply for a Community Lead, fill out the form below.