To become a Community Lead, please fill out the form at the bottom of the page.
If you would like to nominate a community lead, please share this page with them.
A Community Lead is as simple as it sounds – a gamer who has stepped up to help one or several local gaming communities. It’s someone whom OKgamers can go to and rely on to “help us help them“.
Are they on staff? No. “Staff” help with almost all promotional events regardless of community served; volunteers opt in to help when available. ( More on Volunteering.. )
Community Leads only help when we have questions on their game(s) for a Promotional Event. They are the only non-staff that can access OKgamers’ tournament/event brackets while we run an event, etc. At an actual event a CL is not asked to help or volunteer; if they help it’s only with their game concerns, and only when they’ve offered to help. Community Leads directly help their game(s) get more attention, sponsorship and growth in the local and regional community.
CL efforts are directly responsible for getting their community $1,000′s of dollars in prizes and attention through sponsorship at events each year. These represent the chance to grow rather than fade away. Any game you’ve seen OKgamers work with in the last 6 years has had a Community Lead helping us get the “national rules”, gather hardware for events, and get the word out.
Your local game community is MISSING OUT on potentially $1,000′s of dollars every year in sponsorships, prizes and more. Stop missing out! Encourage someone today to step up from your community so you all get more events!!
List of existing Community Leads:
Super Smash Bros. Melee / Brawl - Josh “ChuckNasty” Smith
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 – Rockee “Branka” Harjo
Super Street Fighter 4 AE 2012 – Robert Bratcher
Injustice: Gods Among Us – Robert Bratcher
Call of Duty – MW3 – Ricky “Timmy Scorcher” McNeal of HxC
Halo 4 - Johnny Ryan “IcyChiller” Weaver of HxC
Dota 2 – Ben “LinkinPudge“ McNeal
Smite – John White
Warhammer 40K – Lynn Moore
Star Fleet Battles – Lynn Moore
Starfire – Lynn Moore
List of Games we’ve seen Oklahoma Playing:
League of Legends – Magic the Gathering – Legends of the 5 Rings - Madden - NBA 2k – Settlers of Catan - Street Fighter – Tekken – Soul Calibur – Forza – FIFA – Starcraft II – Nova 4 – Playstation All-Stars – World of Warcraft – Pokemon DS – LARP; TABLETOP & ROLE-PLAYING GAMES! PC GAMES! (Want an up to date list? Check the sidebar; those are game titles that have had events recently!)
Your game not on the list?
Your community never get attention at a competitive event?
For OKgamers, those go hand in hand. Want help? Help us help you; be a Community Lead!
Why so many console games?
Console gamer response has been larger; they don’t have businesses that cater to them creating events like the local CCG or Tabletop community. We do larger events where all gaming happens - so we need Community Leads for PC gaming, as well Tabletop and CCG!
Why so few CCG or Tabletop games?
We know most games already have businesses that are the center of their community; OKg policy is to not complete, so we rarely organize events for CCG and Tabletop…
However. When an event is convention level we help organize CCG, Tabletop and Larping events. While you rarely do events beyond 2 or 3 times a year, we’d love to have more CL’s focused in these areas; please consider becoming a community lead!
Why so few PC GAMERS?
Other than Dota and LoL; we’ve found zero communities that are both open to the public or want to grow, etc. Know local gamers playing consistently in the Oklahoma area? Share this with them!
ULTIMATELY: OKgamers does not create Promotional Events to duplicate or compete with the local community. We may include “every game genre” at major events and conventions; otherwise we only organize certain games at small events to avoid competing.
A Community Lead agrees to 3 duties:
- Keep OKgamers up to date on National Tournament rules for their chosen game(s)
- Keep active with the local scene; attend events, go to practices. Be a regular, not a random
- Help OKgamers with Promotional Events when the CL wishes their game included. This means the CL helps weigh in on dates for that event, promotes and re-posts these events to their game’s national scene via the National community website(s), and may be involved in running brackets for their game(s) at a Promotional Event if needed due to potential low volunteer turnout, or covering for bathroom breaks, etc.
Communication on “Up to Date” – the literal answer:
-You must be knowledgeable about the latest Rules and changes to your game.
– On the scene overall you keep us up to date via a Facebook Group. READ – you must have a Facebook Account as a result.
“Active with the local scene” – the literal answer:
– Attend a majority of local events for your game (if at all possible). If not, keep up to date with those that did. If your city has a local practice, be familiar with that. Just like we said above – you are a ‘regular’ member of your community, not a ‘unknown’.
Help OKgamers at a Promotional Event – the literal answer:
– OPT IN: We post in our planning Facebook group about an event opportunity and a potential date; you let us know if you are interested in having your game(s) there, and that you are available.
– Initial Date: They review our date(s) and make sure we aren’t double booking with your game’s regional events.
– Brackets: We set them up; but we look to CL’s and other travelling leaders to make sure we seed properly by skill and location. Also, you may be asked to take over for ‘breaks’ – simply clicking on who won in the tournament bracket software, and calling out the next match.
- HARDWARE: If it’s a promotional event, it may be “potluck” or BYO Console, etc. OKgamers will come to you in the FB group and ask “How much hardware can you help get there?”. Our Staff owns some hardware, but we do work with a game’s CL to make sure we get a base hardware collection for the game, or else we cannot add it to an event. How do you help with this? You ask around, find out who is down to bring what is needed from the local community or those attending, and let us know a final number “2 consoles and 3 disks”, “4 setups”, etc.
Our 6th Anniversary event taught us 2 things for sure; we can’t let gamers sign up for whatever they want with 15+ tournaments happening (due to overlap), and we NEED to have a CL for any future Promotional Event game title.
To apply for a Community Lead, fill out the form below.