Author Topic: OKgamers.com Improvements: T&E Form, Member Map, and what to do with Tags?  (Read 4877 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
So, in the last few weeks - we've been busy at OKgamers.com!!

MEMBER MAP - it's up:
First off - if you haven't taken a second to log in, you might not know...
...we have a Member Map now!!

Please take a moment to go in and add yourself!  PLEASE - mark a local street intersection, no one needs to know EXACTLY where you live :)  (No, seriously, think safety, just mark the closest street crossing.)

EVENT FORUM SUBMISSION FORM:
Second off, the Tournament & Events Forum - core of the entire site and OKgamers cause - now has a form to fill out!  When you click "New Topic" in the T&E forum you'll be lead to a form to fill out, as opposed to previously just a blank thread field.

What does this do:
 - Universal required content
 - Universal formatting for title and event initial content
 - Easier for Event Coordinators to post content (similar to what they are used to seeing, etc)

For long time event coordinators using the site - it'll be a bit different, but know now that we'll be providing a uniform experience for gamers!  No more searching for WHAT GAME IS THIS FOR!  Need a Map - and no map - no longer!  Etc, etc.

As always, if you have any issues or thoughts on the matter, simply post here and let us know!

TAGS TAGS TAGS?!
Since day 1 - we've wanted to make OKgamers simple and easy to use: a big part of that we feel is the tag system.  With it - we can focus content on the site into streams of data you care about. 

The Member map - can eventually have "just show me the X type of gamer" option

The Forums - can offer a "email me when X game gets talked about"

And on and on.

We've taken our FIRST STEPS towards that - tags.  However, what you type into the tag system - totally unlimited currently.

What we ask:  give us some time to discuss how to use these tags...
...right now we are thinking of restricting tags to:
City - for future location based searching, etc
Game Title, no version - so "Halo", not Halo Reach.  Intentionally vague for 'character length' and other issues...

And - we've also kicked around "Venue" - to even further give location / preferential styled search options.  NO MATTER WHAT WE DECIDE - it'll be with the future in mind!

So go join the Member Map, and keep an eye out for even more awesome features on OKgamers!

(And yes, once we get a few of these features fully settled in, we'll be redesigning the main site!)

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: eighty8keyes
Re: OKgamers.com Improvements: T&E Form, Member Map, and what to do with Tags?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:22:25 pm »
After giving the tag system a thought I agree about limiting it.
GT: Eighty8keyes Haloez and anything else I might be playing.

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: furyswrath
  • XBL ID: furyswrath
Re: OKgamers.com Improvements: T&E Form, Member Map, and what to do with Tags?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 11:14:21 pm »
After giving the tag system a thought I agree about limiting it.

Typical Limits are 3 to 5 Tags.  Anymore than that then thats giving to many search parameters. Id have to agree on the limits.