Author Topic: female gamers.......  (Read 9802 times)

Offline 23rd_letter_assasin

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: Tracy_UNO
female gamers.......
« on: November 24, 2011, 01:18:47 pm »
when i was younger i thought female gamers were a myth. like, REAL female gamers. now, i feel like they are more a freak of nature that happens when evolution gets bored.  realistically, i know they are out there. i never cross them. once my daughter gets old enough i'm going to try convert her but that's YEARS away. besides bipolar bunny are there others here? if so, what drew you to video games? is there any suggestions on how to get the average girl/woman interested in games or is it a lost cause?
i guess a gif of Quan Chi's beat down fatality would be against site rules. so picture me standing over you with a mannequin leg waiting for you to look over your shoulder.....

Offline ahoyhoii

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: Ahoyhoi
Re: female gamers.......
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:26:41 am »
I play games, alot and am female. I've been a lurker here for awhile just to see what everything is about and have only just now become active. I played because my brother made me play when I was younger and I figured it was pretty fun and have been playing ever since I was 7. The first game I ever touched was Command & Conquer and after that Starcraft. Then I moved to RPG's then RTS, FPS, and MMO's. I guess to get a girl to play games you should start slowly integrating it? I read alot as a kid and still do so I liked the fantasy stuff which is why I played alot of RPG's. I really don't know how to get other girls into gaming, usually it's you have to have a knack for it and have fun. Most girls see it as their boyfriends glued to the screen ignoring them so they see it as a negative thing and don't want to get into it I guess. I hope I helped, slightly in some way. :s Oh and another reason why I play games I think is because i'm asian Starcraft runs in my blood, hehe. :D

Offline YoLackaSkillz

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: YoLackaSkillz
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 12:38:10 pm »
When are they going to learn the meaning of the old addage?  If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!!
Referring to the comment you made Ahoyhoii about how they see gaming as a negative thing because we're glued to the screen instead of them!!  :)  Gaming in moderation is completely healthy as a hobby, I think it helps keep your mind sharp!! 

Offline ahoyhoii

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: Ahoyhoi
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 12:34:03 am »
I think games are good they help with your reflexes and your mind as well. Also you can get a good work out too since dance central came out and I played plenty of DDR, PUMP & ITG, stuffs fun. :)  I do understand the way guys ignore us for games since i'm a gamer I kind of understand, but as a woman it still annoys the ♥♥♥♥♥ out of me when we want attention and don't get it. I switched it before though so he could see how I felt, I made my guy wait for me while I did an hour and a half long instance on WoW, ;o.

Offline YoLackaSkillz

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: YoLackaSkillz
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 10:04:00 am »
I'd wait an hour and a half no problem if I had a female gamer for a g/f!!!  :)

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 07:57:59 pm »
I'd wait an hour and a half no problem if I had a female gamer for a g/f!!!  :)

no ♥♥♥♥! i would too. i'd just play my games til she finished. problem solved. but i used to dream to meet girl gamers when i was young bc if i made them my gf then we'd have that in common and could have fun. i've long given up that dream. my girl is great now and i wouldnt trade her for nothing. i just wish she was a gamer. :( then the holy trinity would be complete.
i guess a gif of Quan Chi's beat down fatality would be against site rules. so picture me standing over you with a mannequin leg waiting for you to look over your shoulder.....

Offline Myztique

• Official OKgamer
  • Cj.....its not easy being your daughter.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 10:09:01 pm »
when i was younger i thought female gamers were a myth. like, REAL female gamers. now, i feel like they are more a freak of nature that happens when evolution gets bored.  realistically, i know they are out there. i never cross them. once my daughter gets old enough i'm going to try convert her but that's YEARS away. besides bipolar bunny are there others here? if so, what drew you to video games? is there any suggestions on how to get the average girl/woman interested in games or is it a lost cause?

hop on a game like halo reach and play the social playlists or whatever they're called now, youll see theres alot more girls that play now than you think. there are lots of girls that play for fun, far less play to really compete in tournaments. for me i just played n64 and dreamcast when i was little and it just went from there. try getting them to play the campaign for a fun game and play splitscreen at first, might be a better idea than jumping in an online game and getting smashed, thats no fun

MattKend08 (1:18:05 AM): 232-6161
MattKend08 (1:18:13 AM): BAM!
PrettyInPunk836 (1:18:28 AM): wtf is that!?
PrettyInPunk836 (1:18:36 AM): your kill death ratio?
love you matt :P

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 07:48:04 pm »

Okay, okay - while Myztique is right - load up some XBL and Haloez - you'll find girls...
...you'll also find a WHOLE lot of 12 yr old boys that muddy up the process; so be aware, not a perfect system :)

--

In all seriousness:

A - Female gamers are now around 42% of all gamers?  http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/08/esa-2011-essential-facts-note-rise-in-women-adult-gamers/

B - OKgamers?  Over 100 members are "female" on this site, and over 500 'undetermined' - aka they didn't choose male or female.

C - And I quote....

"The younger you are, the more likely you are to be a gamer -- 99% of boys under 18 and 94% of girls under 18 report playing videogames regularly"
 Jane's got all sorts of interesting things to say:  http://www.ted.com/conversations/44/we_spend_3_billion_hours_a_wee.html

--

I know some girls gamers avoid the title, or the roving guy attention anyway - too many guy gamers don't know how to handle a girl gamer in the room, more a less hold a conversation, friendship, etc.  It sucks for the normal guy gamers, but the few usually ruin it for the many, meh. 

And to parrot ahoyhoii - LOTS of girls are playing RPG's, and things that guys might not be paying attention to when they think "girl gamer". 

FPS - has definitively helped bring more 'girl gamers' into the forefront, but well; they still play what they like, deal?  :)

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 05:19:35 pm »
my girl said she used to play madden so i'm going to see if she'll get back into it and hopefully get her to go further with other games (cross fingers).

Offline BiPoLar BuNNy

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • SEN ID: PMS_BiPoLar
  • Wii ID: 4621-2040-3385-5205
  • XBL ID: PMS BiPoLar
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 01:24:51 pm »
http://www.pmsclan.com Go find a gf, lulz jk.

Offline ThirdMarioBro

• OKgamers T.O.
  • Familiar Face
    • View Profile
    • GamesAreEvil
  • SEN ID: ThirdMarioBro
  • XBL ID: ThirdMarioBro
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 04:27:49 am »
Saif is absolutely right. The gaming market has expanded exponentially in the past few years. Nearly half of the world's gaming population is women. I've met a ton of core gamer chicks in Oklahoma. Lots of Smash girls and lots of Halo/CoD clans are around if you look for them, or talk to people. You'll also find that most anime girls tend to double as J-RPG fans.

If you're looking to convert a girl to gaming, you've got to start small. Don't throw Gears of War at her and expect a reaction. If anything, you've got to give Nintendo a lot of credit for helping make gaming socially acceptable for women. Use that. The Wii is your friend and a powerful tool. And even if that demographic skews on the casual, more of them than you would think actually wind up advancing into more traditional core games. Go with something simple like Dr. Mario. I've learned through experience that Dr. Mario is literally crack for female gamers. I've never met a girl who didn't instantly fall in love with at least that single game, and then wound up wanting to play more competitive puzzle titles. If you're wanting to convince a girl to play a fighting game with you, go with Soul Calibur IV (and soon SCV). The "character creation/dress up fighting doll" aspect is a HUGE draw. I know at least 15 girls off the top of my head who love Soul Calibur.

If you're smart, and pick your games intelligently, you can get just about any girl to fall in love with gaming. She may not particularly fall in love with the games you play, but at least she'll understand fully why you love them.

Offline BiPoLar BuNNy

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • SEN ID: PMS_BiPoLar
  • Wii ID: 4621-2040-3385-5205
  • XBL ID: PMS BiPoLar
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 01:16:10 pm »
I say if she doesn't like gears of war you should look elsewhere because she has no taste.  :o

Offline Natasha

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: Nigg I'm Black
  • XBL ID: Rep On Binky
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 10:26:36 pm »
Speaking of Gears of War, I'm a female looking for people to play online with. Anybody interested? My gamer tag is: Rep On Binky

I started playing because my big brother raised me into it. Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Gamegear was the first game I ever played. Followed by Earthworm Jim for Sega Genesis and Worms for pc(:

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 02:37:14 am »
I say if she doesn't like gears of war you should look elsewhere because she has no taste.  :o

Oh girl, very few females are wired like you.  Don't look down on them.  lol

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline ThirdMarioBro

• OKgamers T.O.
  • Familiar Face
    • View Profile
    • GamesAreEvil
  • SEN ID: ThirdMarioBro
  • XBL ID: ThirdMarioBro
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 05:04:29 am »
Speaking of Gears of War, I'm a female looking for people to play online with. Anybody interested? My gamer tag is: Rep On Binky

I started playing because my big brother raised me into it. Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Gamegear was the first game I ever played. Followed by Earthworm Jim for Sega Genesis and Worms for pc(:

Sega Genesis for LIFE. Always been a huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan, and Earthworm Jim was THE sh*t. Have you played Sonic Generations yet?