Author Topic: TULSA - WTF to PLAY in this town... re: fighting games  (Read 8523 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
TULSA - WTF to PLAY in this town... re: fighting games
« on: July 13, 2006, 01:52:37 pm »
Seriously - what does this 'community' support?  I want to stick around in a fighting game community, but what can I play and actually be - OH I DONT KNOW - COMPETITIVE IN?  [competitive in = having more than 2 people to play seriously]

Soul Calibur - ha, no.  I've begged and pleaded for years and had miminal results.  It might change when 4 comes out, but till then, or something magical happens, I don't plan on playing that game unless there are at least 5 people seriously interested.  What sucks is you can't throw regular tournaments, because once people find out they aren't good enough to win, they seem to die out.  Man, the community was seriously better when we just played every monday night, and had no tournaments to speak of.

GGXX - people seem to play, but not competitively past their own circle.  Take Minicon - 10 people showed up.  They all pretty much knew each other.  According to them they wanted to play new people.  I pointed out Rev's post here on the board.  They seemed interested.  Months later - silence.  I talk to Rev - he says he knows them, and they are too afraid to play him / anyone good outside their circle.  BLAH.  And I don't like the game system all that much.

Naruto - I had hopes.  I saw like 15 or 20 people play it seriously.  HOWEVER - they seemed all happy and go lucky on the idea of tournaments and such - but months later - WHERE ARE THEY?  No where to be found.  On top of that, I went to Chicago recently, heard that probably the best one here in Tulsa is a scrub in comparison to the Chi types, but then again, they are evidently some of the best in the world - if not the world.  Then it doesn't matter so much - and I'd probably play - however.  Uhm.  Where are they?  Much like the GGXX types - dissappeared.

Tekken - I personally am not a big fan of the series.  If there were at least 6 or 8 players seriously playing it in Tulsa though... Man.  I might pick up Ling.

SF - I love the series, but don't know much about high level play.  It seems like it's probably pokey.  Also - once again, is there actually competition?  I know OKC's got some.  But - who else?

DOA - ha.  Hahah.  HAHAHAHAHAHHA!@#

MK - see DOA.

VF - supposidly the top of the bunch when it comes to fighting games - the best thing period.  However - does anyone play?  Much like SF and Tekken - I know a friend or two here or there that has played it - but would they want to play it regularly?

Every Thursday night I have a game night where friends come over and we play at least - if nothing else - Smash 64.  I won't play Melee probably ever - cause I don't like the stupidity of the levels really.  Just..  What to play ya know?  I love the Chicago and Texas communities, and want reason to travel to see them - but if your not in a competitive game - there's not alot of reason to go.  Also - man.  Even if I play a game that's got national competitive events - if I can't play it at all / have some level of solid skill - it's just not as fun to me.  I want to be able to HANG or see that I can do decent at least - being a total noob just isn't that interesting.  But - that takes competition.  So - it all comes back to...

...if I switch games - and play another game.  Which to play?  Tekken seems to always be the answer, as fools play it everywhere.  But - isn't there something else?  Naruto in a way seems fun - and would start out everyone at ground zero - but would Phil, and Hollywood and ECSboy want to play? [the people that I hang out with]  Or is VF the better way to go...  But in the end - my friends probably shouldn't be the only ones I rely on to play - so - once again - WHAT community is supported in this hellhole of a fighting game town - lol.

X A
Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Hollywood

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 11:56:52 am »
UPDATE: Naruto is our attempt... more information real soon.
The charming, cunning, and oh so good looking...
O_-  Hollywood  -_O

Looking to improve on Modern Warfare Duece!
Gamertag = iDubya

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 03:24:20 pm »
high level Naruto play - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_A6lHnXHy8

Chi vs Ohio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wViWg5JPHBc

HeartNana / XCTU / Rob the awesome vs StripperVash - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_WlTs0HT7M

X A
OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Hollywood

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 11:10:36 pm »
How many times are you going to give me these links? I hate you! I'll see you tomorrow.
O_-  Hollywood  -_O

Gamertag = iDubya

Offline Vegafuse

• Familiar Face
    • View Profile
Re: TULSA - WTF to PLAY in this town... re: fighting games
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 08:05:52 pm »
Even though I would go for Melee, GNT4 is still cool.

There should be about 3-5 OK GNT4 gamers in this forum:

http://www.willvolution.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=49&sid=bdf088c790e240b743e55374bee49e27

This is the best place for high level play. There's no OK tourny going on though, but there ARE O.K. players. Oh, and you could find good strats here too.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I'm moving to Tulsa in a few months, so this is somewhat relevant for me. I hope to get some ssb64 in against you guys, and maybe some other games as well.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 11:29:11 pm by Vegafuse »

Offline Hollywood

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 11:43:40 pm »
We will have to see about Smash when you move out here. I do want to say, "WHY MAN, WHY MOVE HERE??!!?!?" but I think I'll leave out the obvious.
O_-  Hollywood  -_O

Gamertag = iDubya

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 02:46:30 am »
Even though I would go for Melee, GNT4 is still cool.

There should be about 3-5 OK GNT4 gamers in this forum:

http://www.willvolution.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=49&sid=bdf088c790e240b743e55374bee49e27

This is the best place for high level play. There's no OK tourny going on though, but there ARE O.K. players. Oh, and you could find good strats here too.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I'm moving to Tulsa in a few months, so this is somewhat relevant for me. I hope to get some ssb64 in against you guys, and maybe some other games as well.

Ha - yea I was AT that Chi tournament Heartnana was talking about there - too good.

But yea, I'll be checking out that site / signing up soon.  Also, might direct some people here.

ssm64 will be waiting on ya man - hurrah up.

--

Hollywood - shush.  People have reasons, he's got family here and such.  And - we'll take all the good comp we can get - right?

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Hollywood

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 03:12:10 am »

Hollywood - shush.  People have reasons, he's got family here and such.  And - we'll take all the good comp we can get - right?

X A

Whatever you say X. But back to Vegafuse... RUN WHILST YOU CAN. But comp would be fun.
Oh X, you don't know about his family, do you? If so, do you have ESPn or something? If you have that I need your help with my fantasy football league this season against Eugene.
O_-  Hollywood  -_O

Gamertag = iDubya

Savagebeating

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 04:12:01 pm »
uhh i dunno if anyone still posts here but yeah....i got a few people here in OKC that can rip it up at naruto 4...we went down to a tourney in texas after owning the game for 2 weeks i took 3rd...you can ask Jesusfreak or chang about my Neji :D.  if anyone wants to get 2gether for some GNT4 maybe put a little money up jus post on willvo :D or email me [email protected]

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 03:40:30 pm »

Heh, as much as I dislike MM's personally - I definitely won't be up for one for a game I just started lol.

However, if you guys are in Tulsa, or have a tournament - let us know!  We don't even have 4 yet, and have just kinda played around with 1 / american - but yea, might still really get into it.

Gotta say, I like it more than Melee heh.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Hollywood

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 04:43:50 pm »

X A

OMG, so much better then Melee!
O_-  Hollywood  -_O

Gamertag = iDubya

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 12:26:53 pm »

X A

OMG, so much better then Melee!

Yeaa - are you ready to memorize and master all of this -

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749

I much rather jus learn Naruto 4 at this rate lol.

btw - the 'naruto' forums are effectively this site it seems - http://www.willvolution.com/

And alot more characters are in n4 than I realized, including Shikamaru!

Really.  I want to play some Tekken, some Third Strike, and some Naruto 4 - and just decide.  Melee - meh points all over for me.  64 fo life.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

hozanto

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 01:38:28 pm »
X_A,

Sorry for not posting.  I have been out of town for two weeks.  I am always up for some SF play.  I think all of the gamers should get together and have a sit-down and talk about setting something up. 

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 03:07:39 pm »

Yea - not a bad idea - maybe meet up around a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and talk shop?  I could definitely see that going down.

Give me your thoughts and we can start a thread in general chat or tournament planning and get people together.

August the 6th would be good in alot of ways, because it'll be after the Guitar Hero tournament and I might know more by then what Funhouse is thinking tournaments wise - but yea, whatever then or afterwards would be fine.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Hollywood

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 03:20:47 am »

Yeaa - are you ready to memorize and master all of this -
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749

X A

I'll pass. I could, but again, I'm with you and rather play Naruto 4.
O_-  Hollywood  -_O

Gamertag = iDubya