Author Topic: Halo Reach - oh my, this is better than I think people realize...  (Read 5186 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
Halo Reach - oh my, this is better than I think people realize...
« on: September 14, 2010, 05:11:31 am »

So - I write this, bleary eyed, at 5am to confirm what I had suspected, and what I think others fear would not be the case:

Halo Reach really IS a 5 star game.  It really is awesome.

Disclaimer - I've never played Halo 1, and cannot get all the happiness of "oh wow, X thing is Halo 1", and "Oh, good they went back to Halo 1", etc, etc.

What I do know is?

OKgamers worked with Red Bull and other companies to bring love to the Gamestop Midnight Launch of Halo Reach.  It was a pretty big turn out from what I saw, maybe a bit less than Halo 3.  Which fits - the promotions seem a little bit less, gamers seem a bit less interested - it feels like we just got a 4th Matrix, and everyone is going - huuuh?

Bungie did go out and "knock it out of the park" though, imo.  (Great scenery, awesome toys, interesting refinements.)

Anyway, after the launch, I stumbled in, picked up my copy as well, and went to the house with a few other OKgamers types.  Since it's only CO-OP for 2 screens locally (you can lan/xbl more), and Rislone had to wake up early anyway, Rislone and Eric watched, while Afro and I started campaign.  Slowly, they faded off, but for Fro and I, well...  We were locked.

3+ hours later, the ride was already extensive.  The new weapons, a whole lot of fun.  The experience - way more than the average shooter has been to me in quite some time.  It's been - a real awesome experience.  All the natural game play of Halo 3 seems to be there, with surprising little benefits.  The BR single shot seems to have taken my old BR skills and sniping skills and combined them.  No one talked about the fact the new grenade launcher - can take down ARIAL targets as well!   Over and over again, I found new things to talk about, fun to be had.  The camo - fades on shooting, and moving - balance restored lol.  The armor stuff in campaign also goes away on death - not sure about multi-player yet...

...and the interface?  You can tell they finally got to use an HD layout - not held back by keeping it ready to play on SD tv's.  It's - quite pretty.  Well laid out.  Seemingly, quick and easy to use - I'll know more once I poke around.

I'm an adult, so I've got things to do, and places to be - but man.  I really would love to continue right now.  Blarg to restraint!

In the end - I wanted to just put out a little write up from a gamer who does enjoy the occasional shooter, and has played a lot of Halo 3?  But also - didn't really KNOW if this was going to be big...   And the more I think about reactions, kinda feel a lot of you may have done?  You have been holding back, to see what non-TV people thought?  Well, I'm no pro, but from a fan of Halo 2 and 3, I'm really enjoying this  (Yes, H3 has it's issues, but haven't most of those been resolved with Reach?).  Trust me - get with a friend, check it out yourself a way your happy - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline UjiUji

• OKgamers Supporters
  • Official OKgamer
  • SWORDS ARE NOT TOYS!
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
Re: Halo Reach - oh my, this is better than I think people realize...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 01:58:27 am »
I know how you feel man. Everything was perfect, and the one thing that really caught me was network optimization. When i play online, literally, 9 out of 10 of my games are lag free.

That was my one thing holding me back in halo 3. I'm now sitting on a 2.5 KDR and i'm loving it.

But, i bet with more time i'll run into more skilled opponents. Ah well, i'll do my best.

Ever since I was a child I have had this instinctive urge for expansion and growth. To me, the function and duty of a quality human being is the sincere and honest development of one's potential. - Bruce Lee

Offline SeenNotScene

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:18:31 am »
I hate to admit it, but Reach is probably the game to bring me back to Halo.  It is a very polished, feature rich game and in my opinion the best Bungie has made.  The reason few games recieve a rating in the 90th percentile (Red Dead, Mass Effect) is because other games just don't feel finished.  Reach is the whole package and a great fairwell to the IP (hopefully).

Offline Blake93

• OKgamers Supporters
  • Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:03:54 pm »
I do not think Reach has the competitive appeal the two preceding games had. I would advocate MLG returning to Halo 3 for next season.

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 01:53:24 am »
I do not think Reach has the competitive appeal the two preceding games had. I would advocate MLG returning to Halo 3 for next season.

Reach is good.. see the problem I think with gamers is they quite frankly B**** to much. Its the best multiplayer period. No cheaters, every inch of the game is tracked, and most importantly quick easy matches to find. Other multiplayers I have to pray my whole team makes it into a game with me, others people cheat manipulate and call me the N word 5k times.. anyway point is Reach is better than Call of Dooty and gamers need to post on bungie.net their thoughts cuz they actually listen.
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

Offline Suit and Tie

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • www.iamSuitandTie.com
  • XBL ID: Suit vs Tie
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 07:53:48 pm »

Reach is good.. see the problem I think with gamers is they quite frankly B**** to much. Its the best multiplayer period. (Of recently released titles on console) No cheaters, every inch of the game is tracked, and most importantly quick easy matches to find. Other multiplayers I have to pray my whole team makes it into a game with me, others people cheat manipulate and call me the N word 5k times.. anyway point is Reach is better than Call of Dooty and gamers need to post on bungie.net their thoughts cuz they actually listen.

Fixed  ;)

Offline 2AMPd

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: AMP zyx
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 06:36:47 pm »
I do not think Reach has the competitive appeal the three preceding games had. I would advocate MLG returning to Halo 3 for next season.
Fixed

www.twitter.com.com/OK_Updates

I'mma be what I set out to be, without a doubt undoubtedly And all those who look down on me I'm tearing down your balcony

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 09:16:43 am »

Reach is good.. see the problem I think with gamers is they quite frankly B**** to much. Its the best multiplayer period. (Of recently released titles on console) No cheaters, every inch of the game is tracked, and most importantly quick easy matches to find. Other multiplayers I have to pray my whole team makes it into a game with me, others people cheat manipulate and call me the N word 5k times.. anyway point is Reach is better than Call of Dooty and gamers need to post on bungie.net their thoughts cuz they actually listen.

Fixed  ;)

OK what recent shooter is better? Please Dont say black ops? Gears Of War is awesome heck so is battlefield.. let time I checked halo has been it for 7 years. Other games copy halo
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

Offline Suit and Tie

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • www.iamSuitandTie.com
  • XBL ID: Suit vs Tie
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 11:48:40 pm »

Fixed  ;)

OK what recent shooter is better? Please Dont say black ops? Gears Of War is awesome heck so is battlefield.. let time I checked halo has been it for 7 years. Other games copy halo

Uhh, isn't that exactly what I said? "[Reach] is the best multiplayer period. (Of recently released titles on console)."