Author Topic: Tulsa - Family Video SSF4/H3/SSBB tournament!!!! - 8/28/10  (Read 13826 times)

Offline philiplee123

• Business Owner
  • Startin' Out
    • View Profile
Tulsa - Family Video SSF4/H3/SSBB tournament!!!! - 8/28/10
« on: August 16, 2010, 07:10:24 pm »
hello guys, my name is philip and i work at Family video at 31st and 129th.  Our store is hosting an event called grass roots, its a celebration of our store and my manager had asked me to host a tournament.  So i am hosting an SSF4, HALO3, and SSBB tournament.  i will post the official rules up later in the day BUT expect the rules as you would expect them in any tournament.  The systems that will be used are 360s and Wii (sorry ps3 users). The tournament is FREE to enter, the prizes are items giving away and prizes that can be redeem at our store such as free rentals, etc. (prizes may vary)  The tournament is free to enter because i have to attract alot of kids and such BUT my manager said it may be okay after we are done with that i can host a money tournament such as a 5 entry fee and such.  Also after we are done with the tournament, depending on how much time we have left, there will be time for casual gaming as well.  I'm hoping to have 3 TVs set up with 2 360s and one wii, so hopefully it'll be plenty.  The tournament starts on Aug 28 2pm-6pm (sorry about the late notice).  Being a super street fighter 4 player myself i would also like to take the opportunity to challenge any 360 ssf4 players as well.

PLUS if you like renting games and hate blockbuster because they are so expensive and dont already have a membership at family video, its free, fast and easy to sign up all you need is a phone number and a photo ID to get started

if you have any questions, feel free to call my cell - 918-949-1355 if you have any suggestions or if you would like to contact family video their number is 918-660-0466 but its best to call my cell for info since i am running the tournament.  If you do however call the store asking about the tournament, ask for philip.

Well thank for you for your time and i hope to see you all there!!!!!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:15:39 pm by X_A »

Offline UjiUji

• OKgamers Supporters
  • Official OKgamer
  • SWORDS ARE NOT TOYS!
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
Re: family video tournament!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 03:57:36 am »
Hi, my name is Robert, and I'm a good friend of Phillips. Phillip is a great Abel player, and i can provide a tournament edition fightstick to anyone who enters the SSF4 tournament.
Honest to god, i doubt anyone in the Tulsa area can beat him when he get serious. That being said, I can fight him pretty well with my Fei-Long.

I just hope that maybe some Super Street Fighter 4 players in Tulsa will see this. I was the first to enter the tournament for it at Tokyo in Tulsa, and then it got cancelled because not enough people entered. I was really sad. :(

I hope you organize more tournaments in the future Phillip. I really like fighting games, and i think that they could have just as prevalent a place as the more popular shooters in Tulsa. I guess that is a very idealistic thought though...

Ever since I was a child I have had this instinctive urge for expansion and growth. To me, the function and duty of a quality human being is the sincere and honest development of one's potential. - Bruce Lee

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
Re: family video tournament!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 04:20:00 pm »

Hey - welcome to the site!  I edited your title to fit with our required formatting - and that'll help get you a lot more attention now too :)

One thing to mention - gamers will probably ask about bringing their own hardware - which has it's own unique set of issues, etc for a business - in the end if you guys have any questions, or need any help - let us know!  (you can request it here on your thread, PM me, or go through our OKgamers.com contact form on the front page!)

Honest to god, i doubt anyone in the Tulsa area can beat him when he get serious. That being said, I can fight him pretty well with my Fei-Long.

I just hope that maybe some Super Street Fighter 4 players in Tulsa will see this. I was the first to enter the tournament for it at Tokyo in Tulsa, and then it got cancelled because not enough people entered. I was really sad. :(

I hope you organize more tournaments in the future Phillip. I really like fighting games, and i think that they could have just as prevalent a place as the more popular shooters in Tulsa. I guess that is a very idealistic thought though...

Tulsa has plenty of good SSF players, so I'd be careful about promises :)

Tokyo in Tulsa had PLENTY of attendance for SSF, and other fighters - they just didn't want to play in the PS3 console tournament, as AnimeFreak mentioned on your other thread.  Also, casual players won't put money out to lose in OK often - we are a very cheap state :)  This sort of deal might bring out more, and as I mentioned on the other thread, cheap gathering style events will help as well with community building.

FPS is strong, that doesn't mean fighters can't be just as much - it's a communities decision.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline UjiUji

• OKgamers Supporters
  • Official OKgamer
  • SWORDS ARE NOT TOYS!
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
Re: Tulsa - Family Video SSF4/H3/SSBB tournament!!!! - 8/28/10
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 07:55:46 pm »
That's why i posted in another forum about finding more players. I love SSF4, and i would love to see a large tournament scene in Tulsa.

It might be wishful thinking, but I'd love to have a team to take to EVO too. Team Tulsa. :)

I stand by my promises too. I've played some folks in Tulsa, and i haven't seen many that i think can take Phillip in his prime. :)

Looking forward to playing anyone there in Halo and SSF4!

Ever since I was a child I have had this instinctive urge for expansion and growth. To me, the function and duty of a quality human being is the sincere and honest development of one's potential. - Bruce Lee

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 08:31:51 pm »
Family video is a really good company good service, great prices on rentals, and now tournaments! cool.. OKC doing one soon?
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

Offline Wally

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • GT is Wah Wah Wally
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 09:26:36 pm »
Halo 2v2 should work pretty good at a tournament like this. It worked very well at the last tournament that a business held.

Offline philiplee123

• Business Owner
  • Startin' Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 11:05:54 pm »
thanks saif for making it look better. and also feel free to bring your equipment.  Ill already have systers, controllers etc.  provided BUT if you would like to bring your own stuff, thats great too...and to Timmy Skorcher, no just the one in tulsa...tournaments can be held at other locations BUT it all depends on who is going to run them, and if the managers let but im pretty sure they would be cool with it....i wanted to host a tournament so i can challenge people on SSF4, halo and SSBB are for other people.  all the rules are going to go according to the rules you have have posted up on this site for halo, ssf4, and SSBB. i will also bring a print out of the rules on the day of the tournament as well. Please try to spread the word, ill like to have a good going tournament so i won't be so bored at work during the tournament hahahhha.  Thanks guy for checking out this thread

Offline Wally

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • GT is Wah Wah Wally
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 11:33:43 pm »
So we're not going to know the rules of the tournament before the it, instead on the day of?

Offline philiplee123

• Business Owner
  • Startin' Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 03:34:59 pm »
well the rules i am going to use are the general rules that you would see at an okgamers tournament such as SSF4
 - best out of 3 matchs, 99 sec button config must be configure before the match. etc...

http://www.okgamers.com/media.php

on the right hand side of the page will have the general rules for SSF4 and Smash bros as well

The halo 3 rules i took from this site
http://halo3pro.com/main/index.php/Rules-and-Settings/Halo-3-Rules-and-Settings.html

if you guys have any suggestions feel free to comment and i will look in to it

Offline Wally

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • GT is Wah Wah Wally
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 10:29:53 pm »
For the halo part of the tournament I just want to suggest that you use MLG settings. Those are the best and most competitive settings out there in the world right now.

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 08:41:03 am »
For the halo part of the tournament I just want to suggest that you use MLG settings. Those are the best and most competitive settings out there in the world right now.

Yea I recommend that you guys use MLG Settings
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

Offline Wally

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • GT is Wah Wah Wally
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 06:27:48 pm »
Also halo 3 2v2 works really well for tournaments too.

Offline JoRsKy

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 07:39:48 pm »
family video > blockbuster

Offline G1Park

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 09:16:30 pm »
will there be any te sticks provided for the ssf4 tourny?

Offline FLIP17

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • THIS IS SWAAAAAGTASTIC
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: Flip17
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 04:20:47 pm »
The morris crew will be there!