Author Topic: MLG picks up PC gaming for the pro circuit  (Read 16783 times)

HippoStew

Re: MLG picks up PC gaming for the pro circuit
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2008, 08:44:10 pm »
Wow and RTS games are the only reason to even consider the PC a gaming console. PC shooters require you to do 6 lines of cocaine and have ADD to keep up with all the wretched "twitch" gameplay. Get a 360/PS3 is you want to play a real shooter.

I know that 0% of you will agree with me, but I like to share my opinions.

DarkWraith56

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2008, 11:55:29 pm »
Wow and RTS games are the only reason to even consider the PC a gaming console. PC shooters require you to do 6 lines of cocaine and have ADD to keep up with all the wretched "twitch" gameplay. Get a 360/PS3 is you want to play a real shooter.

I know that 0% of you will agree with me, but I like to share my opinions.

lolololol WoW is a very sad reason to consider pc a console AND pc will never be a console and just so you know the first good FPS was made on PC and the only reason a lot of console gamers dont play pc games is because they cant keep up with the pace

HippoStew

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2008, 03:43:18 pm »
Why is wow a sad reason to consider the pc a gaming platform (I shouldn't have said console)? Its the best mmo ever made. That isn't just fanboy dribble, look at how many units it has sold. Please don't respond with "sales don't mean anything", because they do. They mean everything. Sales > reviews. Sales > your opinion of the game. Sales > God.

Sure, I'll give the PC props for starting the FPS genre. The PC opened a lot of doors for the gaming industry in general, but let's be serious...consoles are king.

As for console gamers being able to keep up with the "pace". That's my complaint...Being able to do a 180 degree turn just by twitching the mouse is moronic. Ill admit that I'm horrific at it, but that isn't the point. Console shooters are far more balanced than their PC counterparts, the competition is much more fierce, and most importantly they are more fun. (An opinion I know, but hey I can't just spew facts all day)

Play what you like. That is the whole point of gaming. I just thought I would rant for a bit.

And yes, you would rofflestomp me at Counter Strike.

DarkWraith56

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2008, 03:53:01 pm »
WoW is simple point and click and yes i know there are certain strats on raid bosses ( i used to play) but its an average game its not god by any means, its simply the only choice people really have for an MMO because lets face it runescape is crap and guild wars has to many stupid people on it.

and most of the console games that you play with the exception of some are based from computer games and just downgraded to console games because i hate to break it to tall you CoD players ( not bashing) but the original game was designed for PC then changed the format to a console format.

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2008, 04:52:48 pm »
Why is wow a sad reason to consider the pc a gaming platform (I shouldn't have said console)? Its the best mmo ever made. That isn't just fanboy dribble, look at how many units it has sold. Please don't respond with "sales don't mean anything", because they do. They mean everything. Sales > reviews. Sales > your opinion of the game. Sales > God.

Sure, I'll give the PC props for starting the FPS genre. The PC opened a lot of doors for the gaming industry in general, but let's be serious...consoles are king.

As for console gamers being able to keep up with the "pace". That's my complaint...Being able to do a 180 degree turn just by twitching the mouse is moronic. Ill admit that I'm horrific at it, but that isn't the point. Console shooters are far more balanced than their PC counterparts, the competition is much more fierce, and most importantly they are more fun. (An opinion I know, but hey I can't just spew facts all day)

Play what you like. That is the whole point of gaming. I just thought I would rant for a bit.

And yes, you would rofflestomp me at Counter Strike.

Kings or not - consoles aren't the only gaming hardware, and to think a 'king must be the only thing' is a seriously devistating perspective.  With that perspective the King is left with no one to keep him in check.  Prices and rules would skyrocket as nature takes it's course; a monopoly is formed.  If you want a king only, don't pretend to be ruled by a free economic system of sales.

Consoles being more balanced?  I don't know much, but I do know THEY frequently patch - versus consoles JUST NOW catching up to that mentality.  In addition to that consoles have NOTHING that rivals the true open market mentality of gamer generated content and testing.  To try and fight that appeal with the current state of console development is a landslide of a  losing side.

In the end - why can't you people just let each industry be happy, and those who love one, love without being hated?

And sales will NEVER > God.  God >>> Everything.

At best - sales are driven by the masses.  The masses are informed through the media, constantly swayed by marketing.  Your media is your god at this point.

If Sales > Everything - then there would be NO sleeper hits.  No cult classics.  No variety beyond the top 10 pop.  You are empowering sales WAY TOO MUCH.  To think sales should be the earmark of quality would make any creative person shiver at the concept.

Plenty of companies, creative firms, and individuals have NO CLUE about MARKETING.  Without marketing you cannot power MEDIA.  Without Media, you are VERY UNLIKELY to have massive sales.  Sales are also driven by those with the pocketbook to do so - who are getting rich off smart business - fueling media to people who think they should buy whatever is marketed -_-

Those that don't have money to make money? Make sleeper hits.  Make quality awesome experiences.  Sales numbers never came into it, and usually won't till some pocketbook stumbles upon it and starts up a media push.

And on WoW? Screw wow.  WoW has ruined many a gamer community by taking quality individuals away from their various games - and putting them on ladders to waste their time and money.  I wish WoW would have never sold so well, so that people wouldn't have had to suffer at it's lousy lousy system.  But it's simply the digital equliviant of any addictive substance, so it spread like wildfire through those unaware masses you so empower due to their mega volume purchasing.  You want to win WoW? Uninstall it.  That's the last level.

We all have our opinions.  Here is where I also discount all I've said so no one is offended, lol.  Just because we have opinions though, doesn't mean we should rain down on peoples threads lol.  Course - this seems to have devolved into something worthy of being in the Chat forum - as nothing really maintains topic here, chat is unchecked, which leads to spam.  Spam fills the internet.  The internet is a series of tubes.  Have you cleaned your tubes lately?

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: eighty8keyes
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2008, 06:55:18 pm »

Kings or not - consoles aren't the only gaming hardware, and to think a 'king must be the only thing' is a seriously devistating perspective.  With that perspective the King is left with no one to keep him in check.  Prices and rules would skyrocket as nature takes it's course; a monopoly is formed.  If you want a king only, don't pretend to be ruled by a free economic system of sales.

Prices are determined on development costs for the majority, not some rampant free market system that will take it out of control. If that were the case most people wouldn't pay for something at a certain price.  As for consoles Vs. PCs, consoles are more widely obtainable because in most instances are a fraction of the cost of PCs to play games on. This is how it has been and most likely stay that way.

Consoles being more balanced?  I don't know much, but I do know THEY frequently patch - versus consoles JUST NOW catching up to that mentality.  In addition to that consoles have NOTHING that rivals the true open market mentality of gamer generated content and testing.  To try and fight that appeal with the current state of console development is a landslide of a  losing side.

Might want to share that with Microsoft concerning their open development on the 360. It may not be where PC's are for user created content, but is making headway.

In the end - why can't you people just let each industry be happy, and those who love one, love without being hated?

Agreed

And sales will NEVER > God.  God >>> Everything.

I don't believe in god so this is not applicable in this sense.

At best - sales are driven by the masses.  The masses are informed through the media, constantly swayed by marketing.  Your media is your god at this point.

If Sales > Everything - then there would be NO sleeper hits.  No cult classics.  No variety beyond the top 10 pop.  You are empowering sales WAY TOO MUCH.  To think sales should be the earmark of quality would make any creative person shiver at the concept.

The point of a sleeper hit is exactly that, it's a hit, and therefore makes sales. Developers put out games to make money, that's how the business works. Sure they want to make something that is a piece of art or <insert subjective idea here>, but it all comes down to money.

Plenty of companies, creative firms, and individuals have NO CLUE about MARKETING.  Without marketing you cannot power MEDIA.  Without Media, you are VERY UNLIKELY to have massive sales.  Sales are also driven by those with the pocketbook to do so - who are getting rich off smart business - fueling media to people who think they should buy whatever is marketed -_-

Those that don't have money to make money? Make sleeper hits.  Make quality awesome experiences.  Sales numbers never came into it, and usually won't till some pocketbook stumbles upon it and starts up a media push.

No one makes a sleeper hit, they make a game that they want to sell well and then becomes so only after people buy it and word gets out making it a "hit". Example - Halo CE.

And on WoW? Screw wow.  WoW has ruined many a gamer community by taking quality individuals away from their various games - and putting them on ladders to waste their time and money.  I wish WoW would have never sold so well, so that people wouldn't have had to suffer at it's lousy lousy system.  But it's simply the digital equliviant of any addictive substance, so it spread like wildfire through those unaware masses you so empower due to their mega volume purchasing.  You want to win WoW? Uninstall it.  That's the last level.

Change every instance of the word WoW and replace it with Soul Calibur. I play WoW and I had no "individual game" that I would say I played religiously. The fact that WoW sold so well reiterates your above talking points.

We all have our opinions.  Here is where I also discount all I've said so no one is offended, lol.  Just because we have opinions though, doesn't mean we should rain down on peoples threads lol.  Course - this seems to have devolved into something worthy of being in the Chat forum - as nothing really maintains topic here, chat is unchecked, which leads to spam.  Spam fills the internet.  The internet is a series of tubes.  Have you cleaned your tubes lately?

GT: Eighty8keyes Haloez and anything else I might be playing.

HippoStew

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2008, 07:02:40 pm »
Sadly my tubes are filthy =(

I'll drop the wow argument because we won't be changing each others minds. I don't play anymore, but I greatly enjoyed it when I did. Again, play what you like. =)

Don't get me wrong. I hate the fact that sales dictate so much of the gaming industry. Smaller companies who can't market their products are buried by yearly Madden roster updates and other awful sports games. That is just a sad fact of any industry. Money is lord.

(Sales > God was my attempt at hyperbole. Sorry for any offense)

As for user created products, consoles are catching up. True, PC gamers have that market cornered as of now but look at what Epic did with UT3 for PS3...granted its just a watered down PC version, but hey its a start. LittleBigPlanet is another step in the right direction for consoles taking over the user created market. Its not a game I care to play. I would rather Sony hurry up with Killzone 2 and Grand Turismo 5. The potential is there and I am glad to see its finally being utilized.  

Look, I love RTS games on PC. Age of Empires is my favorite PC game ever. The idea of playing them on a controller terrifies me. So I am not a true PC hater, but its days are numbered in my opinion. Your right X_A to think that if PC does die out as a gaming platform a monopoly will form. Luckily, we have 3 major consoles to keep each other in competitive check. I would love for Nintendo to go away but with the huge influx of Senior Citizens and 4 year old girls into the casual gamer makret...they are here to stay.

Sorry if I boiled anyone's blood, just my thoughts on the whole PC vs. Console "war". I love you all. =)

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2008, 12:17:12 am »
Rislone needs to learn how to quote better -_-  That's just confusing.

Prices are determined on development costs for the majority, not some rampant free market system that will take it out of control. If that were the case most people wouldn't pay for something at a certain price.  As for consoles Vs. PCs, consoles are more widely obtainable because in most instances are a fraction of the cost of PCs to play games on. This is how it has been and most likely stay that way.

And when free market doesn't exist, there are rises in prices.  Sure some companies might keep themselves in check, but that free market keeps them needing to be competitive.  Take out their competition, and a sole provider can charge what they wish, and as long as their product or service is needed - then that's what people pay.

And there are far more PC's in homes than consoles, however if your looking to purchase a gaming rig, then your point is on target.

Might want to share that with Microsoft concerning their open development on the 360. It may not be where PC's are for user created content, but is making headway.

Headway or not, the current state is very very closed at a serious level.  When people can use a PC to make a level, and then import it into a console enviroment - then we'll talk headway.  Otherwise a system dependant on console interface when the original developers didn't have to do that? Will at best only be acknowledged as 'starting to catch up'.

The point of a sleeper hit is exactly that, it's a hit, and therefore makes sales. Developers put out games to make money, that's how the business works. Sure they want to make something that is a piece of art or <insert subjective idea here>, but it all comes down to money.

It does all come down to money - however I was trying to point out that the 'huge successes' driven by sales - are the form of sales pushed by the purchased media, not positive word of mouth like quality sleeper hits are.  Quality travels, media pushes, the types of sales to me are very different.  However on re-read I can see how the point needs clarification.

No one makes a sleeper hit, they make a game that they want to sell well and then becomes so only after people buy it and word gets out making it a "hit". Example - Halo CE.

I would say the creative forces producing product can know they have a sleeper hit on their hands.  Simply put, if they don't have the money to grease the media based sales, they can approach the 'sleeper hit' path and push their promotion efforts that direction, especially when they know they have something quality on their hands, and can get away with it.  Also in the movie industry I beleive people have been clearly 'shooting for a cult classic or sleeper hit' - because of the hate towards the 'publicity machine', etc.

Change every instance of the word WoW and replace it with Soul Calibur. I play WoW and I had no "individual game" that I would say I played religiously. The fact that WoW sold so well reiterates your above talking points.

I never said WoW only got their players at that expense.  However due to it's addictive properties it happened widespread enough to garner my hate - Soul Calibur even at a locally intense and loved level hasn't done anything close to what WoW has wrecked.

Also? You don't pay monthly to play SC online -_-  At best once a year for XBL, and never for PSN.

No, my insults towards WoW are based on the game mechanics - not the media success.  You play to waste time and climb levels.  Yes - all entertainment can be looked upon as a waste of time, but this one in particular just annoys me due to the wide spread issues it's caused.  Meh.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: eighty8keyes
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2008, 02:52:20 am »
Actually, when you speak of a free market (which the US economy operates on) it is one where the government is not involved or involved very little hence the term "free market". And actually one example to defy your theory, that prices are controlled through the free market, is the gas companies. They can charge you what they want on their terms because they don't have the state or federal government dictating prices even though natural gas should be considered a necessity rather than a luxury, same applies to petroleum.

As to your statement "And when free market doesn't exist, there are rises in prices." It is incorrect because competitors would be held to prices (same as you as a company) dictated via the government which would mean a rise or fall depending on their view.
GT: Eighty8keyes Haloez and anything else I might be playing.

Offline Michael Jackson

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • PSN ID: Paxmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »
The reason WoW was picked up for a competitive circuit has nothing to do with killing bosses or leveling.  It was picked up for the Arena system and nothing else.  All of you can badmouth WoW all you want, but it does not detract from the well laid out pvp system that WoW has within it.

"BUT WOW PVP WUZ NOT BALANCD LOLOLLOLOOOLLL"

Well it was if you weren't terrible at the game and had a bit of time to invest into the honor grind and Arenas.  Everyone -EVERYONE who bitches and complains about balance in WoW that I've met is a sub par, mouth breathing, keyboard turning, drooling retard and has no concept of how the game should be played on a competitive level.  When you put in the time to get the pvp gear that everyone else has (Full honor, Full Arena, Trinkets as appropriate, all of the current season) it basically turns WoW into a fighting game with a huge cast of characters (team compositions) to play around with.

-

...and as for Console FPS's being 'better' than computer FPS's...  who the ^*#! are you trying to kid?  Are you deluded?  Do you think that having a high amount of mobility within a game LIMITS how go you can be in said game?  If anything it makes the game even harder and when Console kids try to compete on a computer with a Mouse and Keyboard they get stomped, get butthurt, and then go back to their slower, more easily thought out venues they came from.

Computers > Consoles when it comes to FPS's, there is no other way to see it.

HippoStew

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2008, 12:41:07 am »

I made a pc kid hate me =(

Offline Michael Jackson

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • PSN ID: Paxmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2008, 04:38:08 am »
The REAL point of my post is that XA writers freaking novels every time he posts and I never read anything he types over 3 paragraphs long (which includes the majority of his online postings spanning many message boards)

The End.

HippoStew

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2008, 06:05:42 am »
X_A > Tolkien.

Offline LawlTack

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
  • I liek vidya gaemz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2008, 11:16:44 pm »
Guitar Hero is Great on PC.

But Guitar Hero is better on Xbox 360.

And there you have it, 100% undeniable proof of console's superiority.

I do enjoy Garry's Mod though... :P

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2008, 02:14:13 am »
X_A > Tolkien.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

I'm sorry, I can no longer continue in this thread.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals