Author Topic: NW OKC - Oklahoma Gamers Group PC LAN - 3rd Saturday Monthly  (Read 13630 times)

Offline anreill

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
Update!

As is mentioned farther down in this thread, the OKGG has moved. We're now located in NW OKC near 122nd and MacArthur. The new location is a bit smaller than the old one, but we still need more people to fill it up. We still run every third Saturday from 10AM until approximately midnight.

The new location is nice and clean (it's actually a data center/webhosting location.) It's nicely located near several restaurants and convenience stores with plenty of parking.

One of the biggest problems we had in Yukon was internet access, as more and more games rolled over to Steam and other digital distribution systems it was something of an issue to be on a line-of-sight wireless internet connection. That issue has been resolved as we're now on a pretty nice connection (mainly due to the company that's hosting us being a data center, lots of bandwidth :D)

We're still charging just $10 for LAN entry, this is almost exclusively to pay the host location for the space/bandwidth/electricity.

These days most gaming revolves around Black Ops but many other games are played and suggestions are also welcome. Regular games include but are not limited to: Black Ops, Supreme Commander 2, StarCraft 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (And Vietnam), we even still throw down some FlatOut 2 on occassion.

If you're interested in attending PM me here on OKGamers or sign up for the LAN and for the forums at http://www.okgg.org

Old Stuff

The OKGG is a LAN held on the third Saturday of every month in Yukon.

We're essentially PC exclusive. Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty: WaW, Left 4 Dead, Supreme Commander, Flatout, IL2: Sturmovik, and just about anything else that someone suggests.

We're a friendly group, the core members of the LAN, most of the staff actually, have been involved in this LAN party in one way or another for about ten years. We used to be the OLP, held in Shepard Mall back in the late 90's and early part of this millenium. OKGG itself has been around since approximately 2003.

Due to life events and such many of our members are no longer coming, so our usual monthly attendance has dropped from ~25 to around 12-15. We're looking to find new people to come and join the fun on a regular basis. There are raffled prizes fairly often, things ranging from Corsair stickers to full 4GB (2x2GB) memory kits, it just depends on the month and how our sponsors feel like being. The facility is isolated, so noise is not a problem. Alcohol is allowed as well.

If you'd like more information or to chat with anyone, head to http://www.okgg.org and join our forums or sign up.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:14:44 am by anreill »

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
Re: OKGG - Oklahoma Gamers Group
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 03:29:35 pm »
Now should I post an entire rant on how your type of gaming sucks? Cuz thats what happened everytime I went to that website. I got Verbally Assaulted :'( Well i'm not......welcome to OKGamers.com! We dont allow flaming on companies! I always wanted to go to one of your LANs but I was afraid of getting kicked out. Ensure your members are more friendly and more gamers will come I promise. I'm working on a COD league right now so all the PC gamers I will point in OKGG's direction!
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: furyswrath
  • XBL ID: furyswrath
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 01:44:19 am »
OLP, Now back in the Day we had a good thing going... Had alot of fun with it.  Its hard to get PC Gamers out anymore. Lugging Equipment around, when you can stay at home and play over the internet.

The Internet and the way kids are raised has really killed the true meaning of a "Lan Party" 

Im sure everyone I used to Hang out with in OLP aren't around The Oklahoma area anymore.  Before I went into the Air Force I tried to keep in Contact. and not I dont know anyone anymore.. I posted a few times on OKGG, but never really got a warm fuzzy?

I Think OKGG is a great thing, Anything with promoting gaming in Oklahoma is an awesome thing (wait is my Opinion Biased cause im Staff? LOL) But no seriously, Its a good thing.  I Know we had a few PC Gamers here that where asking a while back about doing a CoD PC LAN.  In fact I Think the last PC lan we had was with PTD over at Wiley Post Airport.  Good times (Lorien we should try that again sometime)

But yea We can keep this post active You just may need to come reply from time to time so it dont get lost.  We do have alot of Console gamers that go back and forth.  Its just new games need better equipment so your always upgrading all the time to get the best framerate. Thats why most stick to console.  I Play Both. I Suck at console but I can hold my own on a little Quake.  Been playing alot of Quake Live.  Love it..

But yea thanks, and welcome to OkGamers, we hope to hear more from OKGG.

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 07:09:13 am »
Oh no OKGG is fine with me BUT the thing I think that hurts is the flaming members. Take them out of the equation and everything is fine. I understand now why X_A implented rules. Dont they have monthlies at shepherd mall?
HxC LAN Center

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 12:28:28 pm »
Oh no OKGG is fine with me BUT the thing I think that hurts is the flaming members. Take them out of the equation and everything is fine. I understand now why X_A implented rules. Dont they have monthlies at shepherd mall?

OLP Used to do Monthly at Sheppard Mall LONG time ago.  OKGG does monthlies in Yukon normally at the Roundup Club I Think.

Forgotten Heathen

Re: Yukon - Oklahoma Gamers Group's PC LAN - Monthly
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:04:15 pm »
Hiya, interestingly enough, I installed the Sprint Broadband internet for you guys at Sheppard Mall back in like 2000-2001. I now live in Yukon. Am interested in playing with you guys, and just got a new laptop to play games on to boot.

Where do you guys meet to play at?

Offline anreill

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 08:39:44 am »
- Timmy
Sorry to hear that. We're pretty much PC exclusive, I can only think of one person other than myself that attends our LAN that even owns a console. Let alone plays regularly or online. I'd be a liar if I said that I probably wasn't one of the people harassing you. Thing is that we generally don't mean such things in outright hostility. We've been such a close knit group for so long that we tend to treat new people like we treat each other. We flame and harass one another constantly, though it's all in good natured fun and none of us take it seriously. If you have a PC and can game, show up! We'd be glad to have you. You'd probably get newbie flak, but we're all actually quite friendly. The core group of players actually spends most of their free time together. 5-6 of us show up for a Thursday night LAN every week at one of the guy's house. We go out to the gun range together every month, and do a lot of other random crap as a group.

- Furyswrath
I'm not sure when you were around OLP. I started attending it when I was 15 or 16 I believe, so it's been around ten years since I first started going. I'm trying to think of old players that are still around... Sevnn, Menos, Scope, Drix, and Nimda (who used to go by kaos) are still either actively coming or somewhat involved. Everyone is still in OK except for Nimda, he moved to Chicago several years back. Brules may be another name you'd know. He attends occasionally, but moved to Arkansas. Despite still comes sometimes and is active on the forums. You should come out sometime, if nothing else just to see if you run into anybody you know. I know for a fact that Menos has been around since before OLP, he goes back to the GamersLAN days.

- Forgotten Heathen
We meet at the Yukon Roundup Club. It's a white and red building with a rodeo ground behind it. It's off of main street (66). The actual address is 600 E Main. It's right up the street from the bowling alley about half a mile west of Mustang Road. Lately we've been sticking with L4D, CoD4:MW, CoD:WaW, IL2: Sturmovik, and occasionally Supreme Commander or Quake 3. UT3 get's played here and there as well. If you'd like to come out (it's tomorrow) head over to http://www.okgg.org and sign-up. Doesn't make a difference really if you don't, but the guy that organizes things is kinda OCD about it :P

Offline anreill

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 01:44:44 pm »
Again to Timmy.

I apologize if you were flamed about console gaming.

But from what I'm seeing now that I looked your posts up on our boards, you were flamed because you essentially jumped on our forums and started advertising. Something quite similar to what spambots do. If you had come along and asked "Hey, anybody interested in coming to a LAN on such and such date?" and then gone from there, providing details later, it likely would have helped.

IM OPENING A LAN CENTER AND WE ARE HAVING A LAN TOURNAMENT JUNE 28TH! TRYING TO GET THIS INFO OUT THERE TO THE PUBLIC 64 GAMERS ALREADY SIGNED UP. IT WILL BE A MULTI GAME MULTI SYSTEM TOURNAMENT PLEASE GET BACK WITH ME FOR MORE INFO

MYSPACE.COM/OKCLANCENTER
OKGAMERS.COM

Not a big deal, CAPS is annoying, but oh well. Some of our members didn't appreciate that you came to our boards solely to advertise and not to participate. I'd like to point out that of all of the people that replied to your initial spam post, only 1 was actually someone that regularly attends the LAN. The other sticking point was the similarity in name. But whatever, who cares.

The real problem was incited when a friend of yours came to our board and started ranting at us. Again, not that big of a deal. We rant at each other all the time.

But I just want this to be clear. The main reason that any flaming occurred was because your initial post on our board was essentially the same as something a spam bot would have thrown at us. As I said in my previous post, there are members of our LAN that play console games, we just don't do them. Admittedly, most of us believe PC gaming to be superior. I'll say it myself, PCs are the superior platform, there are numerous reasons for that. Regardless, I own a 360, PS3, Wii, and DSi. But it's an argument that will never stop if we start it, so I'm not getting into it. People have their preferences.

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 02:28:35 pm »
That's cuz one of my staff did that sorry about all caaps but its all good
HxC LAN Center

Offline RabidPanda

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 10:37:50 pm »
christ.... all the way in Yukon?! yikes.. why not in city?

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 01:26:28 am »
christ.... all the way in Yukon?! yikes.. why not in city?

..lol.  Tulsa you mean?  :)  Remember, the site is for evreryone in the OK area, so "In city" is quite relative ;)

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline BladeRunner

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 10:27:22 pm »
Hello there!  I've heard several times of okgg's lans in Yukon but I've yet to go.  I've posted before on this board but I don't think anyone here knew me, which is kinda surprising.   I too was a regular attendee of OLP and I knew all those people you listed.  I didn't spend too much time at GamersLAN'd but did go to several of their lockins and such.   I also built up and maintained for a couple years the bcubed LAN party series at OU in which we had around 200 participants both PC & console consistently.

I've recently had a throwback to the past when I went to Quakecon and met up with several old friends from the OLP/GML community.  I'm enjoying Quake Live and have really high hopes for where it'll go.

Anyway, the point of my post is, any PC gamers on here if you're looking for a lot of fun Im guessing the Yukon LAN is about the best you're going to get any more.  I haven't been so I'm going to use that to say that the golden days of LANing in this area are gone but it sounds a nugget may still remain, if they played Quake and not just COD! hehe.

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 08:28:27 am »
Just Received this in a Mass Okgg.com PM

Done deal! We are on for this month's LAN at a new facility in NW OKC near 122nd and N MacArthur.

This center has awesome internet, great climate control, plenty of parking, stores and restaurants all around it, and it will bring us new gamers!

Sign-up and let's make this one a great LAN. See the details page at www.okgg.org for map and information about the location:

Meridian Data Systems at 5940 NW 120th Ct, Oklahoma City, OK 73162

New rules:
Clean up after yourself, spills, trash, everything.
Respect the property in and around the facility, we are guests of Meridian Data.
Smoking in designated outdoor area only.
Drinking is OK but not to excess please.
If Meridian staff is present, we have to keep language down and not yell a lot but this won't be very often.

Bring a chair if at all possible as chairs will be limited. A folding chair is fine. If you absolutely can't bring one, email [email protected] to see if he can bring one for you.

Anyone who has any plastic folding tables that they would like to bring or donate, let me know

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 03:15:25 pm »

They aren't active on the "spread the word site" lol - OKgamers - but OKGG is still kickin!  FOR INSTANCE THIS EMAIL I JUST GOT :

July 17th LAN is Saturday and there are still plenty of seats open. Sign-up and come out this weekend.

www.okgg.org

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline ttully77

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 11:49:46 am »
Well I am so excited to read this. I don't look around for much going on in the Oklahoma gaming community but I came across this and you will defiantly be seeing me there. I have tons of friends who are also really big into PC gaming that I will almost most defiantly tag along. About 4-10 of us will be very excited. Hope Call of Duty 4 is big.