Author Topic: Are you a potential developer?  (Read 10843 times)

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: eighty8keyes
Are you a potential developer?
« on: December 18, 2007, 07:18:22 pm »
Ok guys I'm going to bring this up again. As we arlready know people in OK that are aspiring developers are at a loss for teams, jobs, and whatnot.

I'm interested in getting a team together on a monthly or bi-monthly basis, I'm looking for 5-10 people that are seriously interested in joining a team effort that will look great on any resume. We will be under very few time constraints to finish a product depending on the knowledge and teamwork, but our goal would be to finish a project that you will be able to show to potential employers.

This will also be an exercise in knowledge sharing and team building. Anyone is welcome to join, all I ask is that you be willing to learn and share with others and show a passion for gaming. Meetings will most likely be held on a Saturday or Sunday evening at my home around 6 pm or so (depending on who wants to come).

We will be looking for a wide variety of talent:

Programmers (any language)
Artists (any discipline)
Sound engineers
Strong mathematics skills
Strong physics skills
Modelers
Voice Actors
Special Effects

The goal here is to make a finished product that shows great ideas and gameplay, we will aspire to make the best game we can possibly, but try not to think this will be a multi-million dollar production that is going to sell millions of copies, it is not .... maybe you never know lol. But mainly just to show a future employer that you have what it takes to finish a product and work together.

Like I said, anyone is welcome to join, no skill is necessary, alot of us will be learning as we go. I want people that are creative and willing to share their ideas and build with others.
GT: Eighty8keyes Haloez and anything else I might be playing.

xd0nn4x

Re: Are you a potential developer?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 07:31:47 pm »
I would love to help you! I have no programming skills what so ever but i can help out with other stuff :) I've always wanted to get into all of this after i graduate HS.

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 07:48:56 pm »
Awesome! Glad to hear it. We will be looking for all types of people that are willing to help in any way, like I said it will be a learning experience for all involved. Any particular area that you are interested in?

BTW in our other thread here we were talking about a local studio, 2015 who made MOH:Allied Assault, and I was able to contact the president/CEO no less to inquire about any tours they might provide, but unfortunately they are a closed shop unopen to the public  :'( I really wanted to visit to see how things are ran so I could post here, but I'll see if we can find anyone else in OK that I/we might be able to visit.

** UPDATE ** I emailed the CEO I spoke with to see if there are any words of wisdom he can impart us. Hopefully I'll hear something back.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 08:14:06 pm by Rislone »

xd0nn4x

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 08:04:06 pm »
I'm in oklahoma city, without a car at the moment because the man took it away lol (long story) so anywhere near okc would be find if i can find a ride.

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 08:12:55 pm »
Hmmm I'm located in Tulsa area, but not to worry, depending on who is wanting to help we might even end up having it in OKC lol. But there are also other ways we can have others not in town team up with us (via email, chat, or phone). So all in all good question, I'm not trying to exclude anyone here so even if you aren't in the Tulsa area we can still get together. And like I said if I have 4 or 5 people in the group and they are all from OKC I can drag myself down there once a month to make this happen.

xd0nn4x

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 08:39:25 pm »
yeah okc isnt a far drive anyways :-p I've only been to tulsa once, so if i would go up there i would be so lost.

slipknot0129

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 09:12:43 pm »
i heard xna game studio express was good to beginners, ill try to get it working on my vista comp if i can, atleast if i get it to work i can test drive the sample finished game on my xbox 360

im not smart but its never too late to learn
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 09:14:53 pm by slipknot0129 »

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 09:42:42 pm »
@Slipnot - Actually if we get into it C#+XNA is a great combination. Fast results and for $99 to Microsoft you can actually buy the liscense to build a program on the 360 ... So that may be a definite way to go, we will have to see.

slipknot0129

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 09:45:25 pm »
yea it turns a xbox 360 into a dev kit

slipknot0129

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 09:51:43 pm »
it also had an update that lets you make multiplayer games

slipknot0129

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 09:59:41 pm »
is there any schools around oklahoma that teaches game design etc?

xd0nn4x

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 10:00:28 pm »
i know ITT does.

slipknot0129

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 10:33:26 pm »
ill look into those

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 12:26:44 am »
The problem with most "game" schools is that they don't really teach you broad subject matter, like taking the programming courses at these places will only focus on how to make gaming code and not theory and general software development which is actually needed. Also when it comes to "Game Designer", this is really an imaginary job in most cases. In practice most designers are hired from within a company after you have been there for at least a few years and show aptitude in several areas of expertise (programming, level design, AI, Animation/Modeling). In most cases these schools are not really worth the money you spend on them. Some companies are acknowledging some of these courses, but an actual degree will net you a job easier.

Only 2 schools I know of that are actually worth it are DigiPen and FullSail and they are extremely expensive. I actually was prepared to attend FullSail, but I wanted to achieve my BS in Computer Science instead. Also if you look into the schools it is sometimes recommended that you already obtain a degree from a university first.