Author Topic: Monster Hunter Tri  (Read 23661 times)

Offline mjobrien10

• OKgamers Supporters
  • Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter Tri
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2010, 09:57:52 am »
Sorry it was kind of hit and miss with the chat yesterday.  As for the answer to your question about bowguns...Well, I've never been a big fan of them.  Before I start let me say that I have not tried them in Tri yet.  K, now onto the rant.  You have to spend a ton of money and time buying and combining good ammo for them, their base damage is usually very low (even for the heavy ones), and you have no defensive block when they are out.

As a multiplayer "support" type weapon they are great, and some quests in previous versions it was almost required to use them ...cough, fatalis, cough.  I've never found them to be as effective as say a lance or greatsword in single player mode though.  End rant.

Bye the way, I finished my lagiacrus armor last night and made a couple new weapons.  Tonight my goal is to knock down a couple of ratholos to make the ratholos GS and Longswords.

Offline cravix

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2010, 12:29:57 pm »
What about the switch axe. Been thinking about getting the materials together for one.

The difference between a liberal and a conservative is that the liberal will ask you to vote republican while a conservative gives facts and asks for you to decide

Offline mjobrien10

• OKgamers Supporters
  • Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2010, 01:12:47 pm »
I like the switch axe.  I got the lightning one last night and am starting to learn how to use it.  It has alot of variation in it's attack moves and is pretty powerful.  I think once a person learns how to use it properly it can be a really great weapon, alot like the hammer.

Offline cravix

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2010, 04:12:40 pm »
I killed the Royal Ludroth, not looking forward to capturing it or the flaming dodo bird

The difference between a liberal and a conservative is that the liberal will ask you to vote republican while a conservative gives facts and asks for you to decide

Offline mjobrien10

• OKgamers Supporters
  • Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2010, 04:16:34 pm »
Capturing the ludroth is pretty easy compared to killing him.  He will run away and limp when he gets weak.  The dodo is tougher, sometimes it is too dumb to know when to run away and i end up killing it instead of capturing it.  I posted some tips on it a bit up the page.  It almost seems like the monsters on capture quests have a bit less hitpoints/health than regular ones.

Offline cravix

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2010, 06:05:42 pm »
I miss the dual blades from Unite.  :'(. Just wish you could knock it out with a club and drag it flintstones style.

Offline mjobrien10

• OKgamers Supporters
  • Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2010, 07:42:45 am »
Last night I fought the Barioth in the tundra.  Holy Crap!  It's alot like the Tigrex from MHF2 on psp, except it is faster, attacks at angles, does some jump tack turn around thing, and it's tail hit causes coldblight.  There are 5 cut/breakable areas on him too.  It is waaaay tougher than the lagiacrus.  Good luck with this one guys.

Offline cravix

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2010, 04:15:02 pm »
Speaking of cutting off parts. I am wanting to cut off the tail of the royal ludroth, can i do that with a lance?

Offline mjobrien10

• OKgamers Supporters
  • Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2010, 04:18:55 pm »
Yup, lance can cut anything a sword does.  In my oppinion it does a better job at breaking faces, horns, and wings than swords do.  It is tougher to get the tails though just because they are always flapping around.  Once you get the timing down it's no big deal at all.

While we are on the subject, Hammers break stuff the best but can't cut tails (at least they couldn't in other versions, I haven't tried hammers in this version).  The only thing I ever used hammers on was gravios and Kirin quests in the older games.

Offline cravix

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2010, 05:01:15 pm »
Hmm. I am used to facing the monster head on and just shielding attacks. I usually break off frills on the mob. Guess i am gonna need to rework my strat for the tail.

Offline cravix

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010, 06:18:11 pm »
We need to find the hardest boss available and make an epic youtube video where we charge in yelling DEATH. Good times.

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2010, 07:37:40 pm »
im building up a lance right now, i havent actually used one outside of the demo. So, can it cut and break? And it has an upward thrust, correct? because trying to break faces with the hammer usually sucks

Offline cravix

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2010, 08:28:14 pm »
Should i do luroth armor set or keep jaggi for now

Offline cravix

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2010, 08:37:46 pm »
Anyone want to go online with me tonight

Offline mjobrien10

• OKgamers Supporters
  • Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2010, 12:15:27 pm »
Cravix, Ludroth has a higer def I think, but I like the attack bonus from jaggi.

Bees, yeah, the lance still has an up-thrust.  it also has a charge attack when your blocking and can do the low jab while blocking.  I've been working on a couple lances myself.  Till I get a really good one I'm gonna stick with greatswords.  If everything goes well and I get some time to play today I should have enough supplies/cash to build the ratholos firesword and the wyvern fire longsword soon.

BTW, I opened up the final few quests last night.  Uagganor (I think that's how it's spelled) and the caedus; this guy is supposed to make the lagiacrus look small.  I'll post more about these guys over the next few days.