Author Topic: A brighter future ... Underground  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: eighty8keyes
A brighter future ... Underground
« on: December 21, 2008, 02:19:43 am »
Well I am a happy camper. I FINALLY got my video card for my computer. Just a cheapo PNY 512 DDR2 NVIDIA 9400, but guess what? It runs COD4 (the demo at least and I'm sure the rest of the game) at max settings.

But the best news is that I wanted a new game to really put the computer and GP through its paces. Sunday morning last I arose the the infernal banging of my front door and who was it? My mother-in-law ... with cake! and a $25 gift card to Gamestop! (late birthday present). So I got dressed, got the kiddo in the car and made my way to the local Gamestop. Where I finally decided to go ahead and get Fallout 3. I always liked the first one and was pretty excited about seeing the screenshots from the latest installment. However, I was concerned that I wasn't going to meet the requirements but I did! Runs great and seamlessly.

Now on to the game itself. In my opinion one of the greatest games I have played. Good challenge factor and the skill system is top notch. Also V.A.T.S. is one of the better targeting systems I have ever used. The entire game is immense. There are also 3 types of quests. Main story line quests, Side quests, and Unmarked quests. These provide good backstory and help immerse you into the game while leveling up between main quests (if you so choose). The game is very open ended and is very easy to get side tracked while exploring and stopping to explore other places. Like the night I decided to just mess around and take a detour to the Capitol Building just for fun. The AI is very decent. Enemies know when to flee after being crippled and also know how to properly take cover. Also player actions have big consequences and this is where the Karma system comes into play. Lie, cheat, and steal and you will pay for it. Being nice has its own rewards also like free stuff given to you by your resident city. The map system is a blessing in the fact that Bethesda brought back Fast Travel that was used in Oblivion so that all your time is not spent just trying to get from point A to point B, there is plenty to keep you busy instead of just traveling. I've seen some complain that there was no multiplayer, but in a game like this it would be rather useless in my opinion. The camera system is geared rather well if you like playing first person or having the camera pulled all the way back or anywhere in between and also has a hotkey to change it on the fly. I can't really think of any downsides that I have found just yet except for the G.E.C.K creation tool that you can use to build your own dungeons and actually insert it into the game world and share with others and the only reason that I'm not a fan yet is because I am waiting on a more stable build. It rather freaks out in Vista while trying to pull its information. But that is rather trivial and doesn't reflect on the game itself.

If your a fan of the original two Fallout games then this one is a must. If you are not, it is still a great game and its replayability is pretty good due to trying to find everything, choosing good or evil and completing all the quests. Definitely a good buy for a good game especially for us PC users because all we have to do is wait a couple months and all our games are in the bargain bin :) However that may not be the case for this game for a while.
GT: Eighty8keyes Haloez and anything else I might be playing.

Offline SPRTN SnprSlick

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • SPRTNGaming
Re: A brighter future ... Underground
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 12:00:11 pm »
Shouldn't this go in the Articles and Review section?

Offline LawlTack

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
  • I liek vidya gaemz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 06:58:11 pm »
Yeah... this game is incredible. I should not have traded it in. I'll likely get it again when DLC comes out.

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: eighty8keyes
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 05:23:33 pm »
Shouldn't this go in the Articles and Review section?

Meh, it'll get there when it gets there. I was tired and about to leave work when I wrote this and now is the first day I have been back on the site. Have one of those jerk mods do it.
GT: Eighty8keyes Haloez and anything else I might be playing.

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 06:13:53 pm »
I'm so confused right now.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!