Author Topic: Whats Your Favorite / Best Wireless Router under 150 bucks  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: furyswrath
  • XBL ID: furyswrath
Whats Your Favorite / Best Wireless Router under 150 bucks
« on: February 13, 2009, 05:27:58 am »
Ok Question

I Used to Love the Linksys WRT54g Router went though 2 of them over the years.   Now I Have a Linksys wrt310N  and I Absolutely Hate it. 

Im looking at the Netgear WNR3500 right now Its on Sale at Best Buy for 109.  Mixed reviews out there on it.   Here is what im looking for.

Maximum bandwidth from wired > wireless > wired .
Maximum Range I can get with out conflicting with cordless phones and all the neighbors wireless.
Works well with Wired Gaming Devices (XBOX, PS3)

And thats it?  I dont even have to Have Wireless N as all the wireless devices I have are G anyways.

I have a great internet connection. see Below.. love it.

reason i dont like the WRT310N  Ive got though 2 of them i returned the first one and I should of returned this one.. But it just randomly for a split second drops internet.  It drops it just long enough to be annoying.   So To make sure I wasnt getting interference I Borrowed a friends belkin router and it worked fine.  And man does the wrt310n get super hot as well.

Anyways I dont need fixes on router placement / do this or that my router is in the most optimal place with the least amount of interference and walls. 

This thread is asking basically what router do you have. Do you like it? yes / no?  Do you have a router that you read alot of good things about? or Know of one that you would recommended and why?

discuss.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 05:30:50 am by furyswrath »

DarkWraith56

Re: Whats Your Favorite / Best Wireless Router under 150 bucks
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 07:03:55 am »
hmmm i havent had any trouble at all with the 310, maybe your just getting severely unlucky..

Offline Punish3r

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • 1337 Filmmaker
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 05:06:55 pm »
I use the D-Link DGL-4500 Xtreme N Gaming Router.

I paid $130 when it was on sale one day, and I've had nothing but good luck with it.

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 06:59:26 pm »
I use the D-Link DGL-4500 Xtreme N Gaming Router.

I paid $130 when it was on sale one day, and I've had nothing but good luck with it.

I saw that but is it true dual band? and i was reading that is limited on range as it only 3 antenna's and the netgear's has 8?

Offline Punish3r

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • 1337 Filmmaker
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 07:15:30 pm »
I do not think it's Dual-band. As for range, I've never had an issue, I have my Xbox hooked to it through at least 4 or 5 section of sheetrock I would say. My house isn't very big so I'm not sure if I'm comparing it fairly :P

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 03:44:02 pm »

After my tech friend did research lol - I got the D-Link 825 XTREME N DUO GIGABIT ROUTER from CiRCUiT CItY?!@#

Anyway - Punisher wasn't there, and I yelled at him later for not telling about the ps3 deals lol.

BUT I DIGRESS -

The RWT House now enjoys 5gig and 2.4gig love wirelessly, as well as gigabit anime and video sharing throughout the house.  We heart it.  It's done well.  I had to restart it for it to love my ps3 - but beyond that, been very happy for the last few weeks.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 08:32:26 pm »

After my tech friend did research lol - I got the D-Link 825 XTREME N DUO GIGABIT ROUTER from CiRCUiT CItY?!@#

Anyway - Punisher wasn't there, and I yelled at him later for not telling about the ps3 deals lol.

BUT I DIGRESS -

The RWT House now enjoys 5gig and 2.4gig love wirelessly, as well as gigabit anime and video sharing throughout the house.  We heart it.  It's done well.  I had to restart it for it to love my ps3 - but beyond that, been very happy for the last few weeks.

X A

So After I read your post I did alot more research.    And I Agree If you Use Wireless N though out your house the 825 is the best bang for the buck. But I dont use Wireless N as all our laptops and Wireless Devices are all 802.11G,   The only Difference Between the 855 and 825 Is the LCD Screen.  and The Differance between the 855/825  to the 4500 is True Dual band.  The 855 and 825 provide true dual band whereas the 4500 is either 2.4 or 5Ghz   I Found the 4500 for 134 on Newegg.   and the 825 for $135  all free shipping.  So Im torn..    get the 4500 so I can have a LCD screen to play with (it has a SDK Pack where you can put custom logo, and make your own monitoring applications to display on it) and not have dual band which i really dont have a need for considering my laptops are less than a year old and do not use N, or Go with out the LCD screen and get the 825 and have true dual band and be able to utilize it one day when I get a device that supports N technology.    Bah..  but the D-Link series from what all im reading thus far has the best track record, on QOS, and Wired/Wireless/Wired Optimized Throughput.  However they do lack in the firmware Stability area.  Im reading that the 855/825 and the 4500 most recent firmware update actually broke the ability to get good connections with Netflix, via xbox 360 or other external Netflix Devices.

I think once this is all said and done I will take my experience from this and do a little write up.  Save someone else the trouble to doing all the research later on, Till some new router Technology comes out. Right now Nothing New has came out in the past year. the 855 came out this time last year. and the 4500 has been out since Oct 2007.