Author Topic: How you can help: OKgamers.com Staff Wanted!  (Read 28479 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
How you can help: OKgamers.com Staff Wanted!
« on: January 07, 2007, 10:50:11 pm »

THIS THREAD IS OFFICIALLY RETIRED - go here for the new thread -
http://www.okgamers.com/forums/index.php?topic=1421.0

We leave this thread to fall to the archives, where we can look back, remember and learn!

--

Wanted:  Oklahoma Gamers – wanting to help OKgamers.com improve the gaming scene!  While one person can make the difference, many people are needed to make something happen.  OKgamers – started out with just a hope to help out.  Now, we are moving into the making it happen phase.  And, we need people excited about our goals, wanting to get the word out about OKgamers.com, or just to bulk up their own personal resume and do a good job?  Yea, we want all of those types to help with this.

What is OKgamers.com’s goal?  We have 2 – go check it out:  http://www.okgamers.com/forums/index.php?topic=213.0

--

So - what do I get if I become a 'staff' or crew member?
Well, as you might have noticed - we don't get paid for this, we are simply trying to improve Oklahoma one way or another.  So yes, this is all voluntary.  That said - we take care of those helping out.  When we throw events with a venue fee - that fee is waived for tournament staff.  When you play in a event while your also helping / running it - you don't have to pay the flyer fee either.  AND - if you sign up for either tournament staff or street crew, and meet the guidelines mentioned below, you get a free OKgamers shirt! 

More perks will come in the future - as we build, and grow.  [Honestly, I never plan on making money off this, I have my own company - I'm happy there lol.  However, I won't turn down opportunities to help others, and if it grows to that point, I'll probably just hand it off to someone lol.]

So what do we have?
An Advisory board.  A few mods, a few tourny staff members, a few street crew types, a girl signed up for video anchor, and a Editor & Chief and a tournament organizer/Web lead. 

What do we need?
You as Staff!  Here’s a list of our departments

Tournament staff – to help run the events!
Street Crew – FLYERS!  We need people to get the word out actively about OKgamers! 
Mods - to keep the online aspect clean and efficient!
Writing Staff – writing on events, and things of interest for gamers in Oklahoma! 
Correspondents – writers located at the campus or small city they live in to get word to us about what’s going on! 
Film Crew – Seeing is believing, and we need that youtube/google lovin!
Communications Director – one person to rule us all!  No, seriously, communication is KEY!

Leads!  Every department/crew/staff has one.  They are taken from normal staff, and asked to be the ‘lead’, or person to get the word out to the rest of that department.  Leads will also have opportunity to help make the day to day decisions of OKgamers.com.  From who to accept as comm. Director, to how we handle the next new step – these people will be the leading group of changing Oklahoma and OKgamers to keep up with demand.  Requirement of checking the staff forum regularly.

--
Open Staff positions:

Tourney staff
Looking for 3 to 5 at least.  We’ll create a pool of people we can call on, and help run events.
We at OKgamers throw events to get the word out!  From setup, to take down, we need help.
Requirements: We request one day a month free to help out.  Your availability on either a Saturday or Sunday is important.  We are looking for people that are on time, and willing to ‘help run a tournament’ if asked.  Being organized would be great; just able to follow requests is required.  On the day(s) your available you will be asked to help with setup and/or take down of an event.  Beyond being the ones running and helping to setup and take down the events, basic ‘event security’, or watching what’s going on, and monitoring hardware is handled by these types.

Also, we need you to actively check your email :)  After working a few tournaments, you'll get your VERY OWN OKgamers staff shirt :)

Lead requirements: Leads, or those that ‘run the show’ will be assigned per tournament basis.  Include on your availability if you are interested.

Street crew
Looking for as many as possible!  We print up flyers, but we need people we can go to to distribute our flyers to people, or places.  We also need location maintenance, to keep our info out there and spreading the word to your corner of Oklahoma!
Requirements:  Anyone able to spread the word by passing out flyers; taking them to a store or venue.  Having your own car would help, but even if you have one location you can get flyers to, your helping.  Person to person is great too, just don't be pushy ;)

Want to do more?

- Location watching: we have locations listed in our staff forum that will always let us put up flyers, but those flyers might get pulled down over time.  If you can ‘maintain’ a location, your simply the 'goto person' on getting new flyers to that location, and watching periodically to see the flyers are up still / there. 
- People person? Are you the type that can just walk up to a stranger and talk to them about something?  Let us know, we might ask you to help this way!
- Not in Tulsa? GREAT!@#?  We are looking for remote Street Crew as well; people wanting to be the local advocate for OKgamers – the person looking for events locally, and spreading the word about using the site to venues and those throwing tournaments.  If you are interested, we need ya!

Street Crew - we've also got a flyer resources thread setup, just click here.  Go check it out, as it gives you a real idea of where we are man power wise.

If you signup to maintain/watch 3 or more locations, you'll get a OKgamers staff shirt.

Lead requirements:  Able to communicate via phone or email – and keep track of how things are going. 

Moderators
Looking for at least 5 to 6 mods – assigned different forum area’s to maintain.
We need people to do everything from kill spam, help the forum be everything it can, and maintain a safe environment for businesses and the families they serve to post events!  You are the guard of the websites live content area.  You are VERY IMPORTANT.  You not only watch for verbal abuse and ban worthy conduct, but the extremely important job of venue/location flaming and watching out for spammers. 
Requirements: online once every 48 hours to check your section, and participate in Mod Corner forum conversation as regularly as possible.  You are responsible in part or full for a ‘forum’ or section of the OKgamers forums.  To be considered for a Mod position you must have shown responsibility and activity in the community.
- On alot?  We might ask to help us with our monthly tournament threads!  It's alot of work keeping them up, and we could use that help!

Lead requirements:  Online every day.  Able to cover / help watch forums in other mod’s absence.  Close communications with the Web Lead, Saif.

Writing staff
We are looking for all that we can get – In Tulsa, and across the state.
We need writing; from going out and writing about events we do and are posted on the forums, to providing useful content for OKgamers.com – to become a resource worthy of gamers use.
Requirements: You must write well; be effective in communicating the point of your story.  You are encouraged to write at least one article for /news every month.
You are also encouraged to be a correspondent. 

By motion of the Advisory Board, Saif – aka XA can never be a writer.

Lead requirements: Editor & Chief – Daniel aka MisterShock.  In charge of the content on the site.

Correspondents
We have a list of cities we think are key!  We also want someone from every college to keep us and them in the know!  This position is somewhat a mixing between writer and even street crew, with you choosing the mix.
Requirements: Basically we depend on you to be our eyes and ears for those locations in which you live. As a result, all we really ask is to be kept informed of events as they happen, and work with any local street crew in your area to help people get to the site, and use the site.

Lead requirements:  Falls under Communications Director.  Until we have one, this falls under Editor and Chief.

Film Crew
What we are doing – is new to some.  So, we need good video online on what we are doing! 
Requirements: currently too sketchy.  Once we have a person willing to be the head, we’ll carry on with this, and what requirements there are / should be.
- General ideas currently:  get an attractive or entertaining anchor to do the events!  We've got a volunteer, we'll see now if we can get a camera crew!
- Tape events and get them online to google and youtube so we can link to them from OKg’s media section. 

Head requirements: pending
staff requirements:  pending
Anchor requirements: pending, Kelsey in consideration.

Communications Director
With a site doing this much, we need someone on the inside making sure we all know what is going on. Someone to communicate with all the heads/leaders.  Being the goto guy on issues that fall outside the other departments.  Clear and to the point, so not Saif.  Try and promote with media / press.  Perhaps even the person to contact for directions / tournament info? Could also help with the fundraising. Possibly a college student that’s a communications major?
Requirements: Excellent communications skills.  Fair amount of free time.  Weekly newsletter of what’s happening in all the departments.   Weekly communications with heads to create internal communications.

How do I BECOME A STAFF MEMBER?!@#

If you fit the above description, then let us know you’re interested!  Go through this form here: http://www.okgamers.com/staff_form.php
You'll get a response shortly afterwards!

What is needed from every staff member? 

Good communications!  We have to know what’s going on, if things got done, so on so forth; you’ve got to have a phone or email and use it!  Also, we encourage you to actively check the Staff forum, we want your feedback!@#

Some form of drive to help out!  Sure, you might get some swag, or a resume builder from this – but it’s still all voluntary.  Since we can't really pay you to show up or help out, we need people that are dedicated to something else; making a difference in Oklahoma, helping other gamers, never wanting to miss out on a tournament, or just the wish to get some real world experience and build your resume…  BUT – it must drive you.  There must be that reason to help out, and be there when you say you can be.  Be reliable :)  If we fail to do something, it looks bad on the community as a whole; hurting not only our goals, but our reputation and ability to continue to do good.  So we ask you to be ready for that responsibility!

http://www.okgamers.com/staff_form.php

X A

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 06:25:17 pm by X_A »
Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Icychiller

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Hitech redneck gamer
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: Icychiller
Re: How you can help: OKgamers.com Staff Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 10:20:46 am »
well you kno im in and also in what department.. lata

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 03:42:36 pm »

Well - and I'm keeping all the info / requests together - so IF YOU WOULD SO KINDLY FILL ONE OUT ;)  I'd appreciate it.  Also - since your doing Tourny staff right?  Let me know your shirt size.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Icychiller

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Hitech redneck gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 01:35:22 pm »
XL n yea tourny n mod
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 02:27:00 pm by Icychiller »

Offline Pr1m0

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 02:24:42 pm »
tourney and mod for the win???? i wear a medium eh?

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 04:20:27 pm »

OMG YOU HALO PLAYERS!  READ!

It says **fill out the form**.  NO POSTING HERE THAT YEA!

Go - fill out form.  Let me know.  Make sure you read the requirements though, as they matter!  lol

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Icychiller

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Hitech redneck gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 01:18:05 pm »
hey i went to your thingy n i sent u my info..question is..did it go threw or not cuz everytime i tried sending it..it froze on me

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 04:17:08 pm »
WOOPS!@#

The form software went down!  BAD!

If you get anything other than a 'thanks' - it's not working ;)  But - it should all be fixed now!@#

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Icychiller

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Hitech redneck gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 04:22:17 pm »
XA it finaLLY went threw...wahoooooooo

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 02:50:18 am »

Okay - just an update on what we've seen so far -

Icy's signed up for Tournament staff and lead - no mod eh?
Hollywood has signed up for alot lool.
Monstaar - Mod - no Tourny crew?

Daniel has indeed taken on Editor lol.

We have 2 pending applications for mods, and Pinkie aka Andrew as signed up for a whooole lot as well lol.

I'd like to have about 3 more serious mods, 2 more tourny staff just to make sure we have at least one or 2 that'll be available whenever, and some more street crew types - and I think we'll have a great start!

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SIGN UP THROUGH THE FORM SOON - I'm going to be making our staff section, and would like to be able to get as much of that knocked out at once as possible :)

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Icychiller

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Hitech redneck gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 02:47:55 pm »
i didnt see an option for mod i can be if u would like for me to be

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 03:05:26 pm »
i didnt see an option for mod i can be if u would like for me to be

If you know you hit the requirements - then yea, you've been around long enough, and proven your interest and responsiblity.  We can use all the trusted Mods we can get :)

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Icychiller

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Hitech redneck gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 03:55:12 pm »
trusted..me woowww..its a miracle..lol..its up 2 u bro

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 05:24:07 pm »

Okay - updated some verbage - to make things more clear.  Also updated our current roster, and considerations!

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Rebal771

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 04:17:22 pm »
Alright...here's the deal.

I'm a college kid who is into building something up like this...but I don't have the time or resources to handle all the extra aspects of this kind of program...so the best thing I can do is run a few tournaments in OKC every once in a while.

The problem is...I've only run one.  It was a very successful tournament (I got 20+ people to turn out for a 2v2 tourny all by myself) and I feel that I'm very capable of taking on what you're laying down as a responsibility.

So the problem isn't really that I've only run one 2v2, H2 tournament...but that I don't have the time to micro-manage every tournament that I try to run...plus...you guys have already started the advertising bit.

So...as of now...I would like to speak with someone...whoever is in charge or whatever...one-on-one about how this all works, what kind of people you're looking for, and what we can do to merge our efforts into bringing some good quality entertainment to Oklahoma gamers.  I'm excited to see that a few people have referenced this site...showing me that there are more than just a few people signed up here and I'm excited to see that you already have been working on sponsors.

With you guys taking care of half the battle already...I'd like to talk with you about ways that we can spread this across the state.  I'll be on here more often, for sure...but I would just like to know who I need to talk to about how you guys operate.

I'll re-read the intro to this to get a few more details...but here's some info about me:

-My name is Travis.
-I go to UCO.
-My XBL GamerTag: Rebal771
-I'm mostly a halo player who is interested in competitive gaming at any level that I consider to be fun.
-I'm very interested in what Major League Gaming has accomplished...and I am very interested in the way that they have chosen to spread their name across the nation.  Running, or being a part of a business that runs in a similar fashion would probably be one of my career goals.
-I work 9-5 M-F at a law firm...and I go to school at night on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  (Yes...that means that my weekends are WIDE OPEN...for the most part.)

That's what I have for now...I'll make sure to stop by again, now that I've found you all. (THANKS PR1M0!!!)
 8)