Author Topic: Jenks/Tulsa - Guitar Hero Tournaments - August 5th, 2006  (Read 11977 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
Re: Jenks/Tulsa - Guitar Hero Tournaments - August 5th, 2006
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 05:46:00 pm »

Okay, so that's - 3 pre-registrations so far - or am I missing any guys?

See you guys on Saturday!

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 02:17:20 pm »
Guitar Hero tournaments - it's tomorrow!

EDIT - Also, http://www.focusontulsa.com/ will be shooting, so come out and be part of the event!

Check out where we'll be at -

« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 04:44:16 pm by X_A »
OKgamers.com - our goals

Cematary

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 05:18:46 pm »
Ill be there, my name is James Hilton

leogryffin

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 03:18:16 pm »
James Cooper will be there. He's 11, and will identify himself as Leogryffin's son :D

leogryffin

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 03:19:31 pm »
It's possible that Nathan Cooper, age 8, will register too, just to be in the style competition.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 04:57:43 pm »

Okay - online preregistration is now closed!

Registration for the tournament starts at 6pm, and goes till 6:45pm.  If you've pre-registered, show up during those times to confirm.  If you've not registered, register then.  The only difference is entry fee cost.

See everyone at the tournament!

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
Results of the Guitar Hero Tournaments - August 5th, 2006
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 11:54:45 am »
Double Elimination tournament -

1st - Joey Simeroth
2nd - Cody Pollet
3rd - Josh Guinn

[picture coming soon]

Showmanship tournament -

1st - Trey "Blade Shredder" Eagleton
2nd - James Cooper

Pictures, and video documentary links coming soon

--

Review -

Well, for the first tournament at the new Funhouse location, this was a good time, and went well.

19 participants showed up, and 8 of those played in the Showmanship tournament. 

Starting a bit after 7:15 due to my fellow coordinators showing up late, and just logistics, we were able to seemingly host a fun set of tournaments, with little to no complaints, or technical glitches.  Running both tournaments at once, we had 3 setups with headphones for the double elimination tournament while one setup, with a larger TV and more 'accessible' to the crowd was running for the Showmanship tournament.  One judge, Jeremy aka Hollywood canceled out on us due to sickness, and none of my personal friends that inspired this other than Spikey Justin - who was co-coordinating this with me, even showed up,  but we still managed to have a good turnout.  In the end, I recruited a parent of a contestant to fill the third judge seat on Showmanship.

If I had to do it again - I'd definitely consider running with the showmanship speakers lower.  The first round was a bit hectic and harder for players as once the loud Showmanship constest started up, the headphones weren't loud enough to compete in some cases.  After we got that out of the way, the rest of the tournament ran smoothly, with no complaints at all - perhaps a personal tournament best lol.  [Or maybe, fighting gamers just complain like mules...]

Speaking of fighting gamers - Mekkimaru / Hatman from St. Louis and part of the respective Soul Calibur and Tekken communities randomly dropped in!@  That, made me fairly happy we had it that night heh.

Everyone enjoyed the Showmanship, and I look forward to www.focusontulsa.com 's video documentary.  Trey, the winner - definitely captures the essence of why we wanted to have the Showmanship as well; as he had only had the game for like 3 days?  Way to go Trey.  James also rocked harder than people almost twice his age, so go James, and way to commit!

With a total of 8 rounds for 19 people to play out a double elimination pool play event, Spikey Justin held on till the very last, each time for the first 5 pool splits just barely slipping into the bottom of the winners pool.  Finally he was knocked out by those that went on to get top 2 and 3, one of which Cody, his friend and one he suspected to do well.

A personal highlight was snapping a picture of Cody's girlfriends rub-on tattoo - yes, she was sporting a Guitar Heroes 2 tat on her shoulder while watching her boyfriend own up.  Too good.

We finished up around 10pm, and as usual at the end of tournaments, only a handful remained.  I wish I had more to give out as prizes, as splitting a small pot and giving out token notes would have been even better with Red Octane sponsored prizes, but they dropped out on me without any real word - and then to add injury to insult - I see they have all KINDS of other tournaments sponsored across the states - and just showed no love for Oklahoma.

One thing not to do ever - not eat.  Man, all three of us running it, myself, Eric and Spikey - hadn't eaten ALL DAY.  So by the end of it, we were exausted lol.  That's what we get though, better planning!@#$

It was a good set of tournaments, and a real experience.   The only usual things I look at this in review personally is from a promotion aspect - who heard about it, who turned up, how did they hear about it, would they want to do it again, and do they leave that feedback on the OKgamers.com forums.  From my dismal Mini-con experience, I don't expect much.  I had 20+ Naruto fans, 10 GGXX fans and at least 10 or 20 Melee fans - NONE of which to this DAY signed up and posted any interest / stating they were there.  However, for this tournament I did get a bit of feedback from about half the players [so 10 people, then of the other 9, one was Spikey and the other Cody, so I know how they heard heh].  Looks like 4 vintage stock flyers, 2 friend entries 'I heard about it from a friend', and 3 surprise ones.  One - anime convention - I'm not sure if that's a surprise that out of 1000 people - only one saw / showed up from it loool.  One - from the internet - that's always nice.  And - one from a 'best buy flyer'...?!@#  That means - someone - straight tagged a corporate chain with our local flyer - GOOD JOB!  To whoever did that lol, cause yea, mad respect heh. 

The only other questions would be - would people have shown up if it was on a Sunday?  As - we are looking to do Monthly Tournaments starting soon, with 3 to 5 game tournaments - and they'll either be on a Friday afternoon / evening, or a Sunday afternoon / evening setup.  More on that in the chat section of the OKgamers.com forums.  And - did I not charge enough?  Several observers stated that no doubt I could 'charge more'.  Well - with that I only say - anytime I've ever tried to charge 10$ for a fighting game tournament, Soul Calibur - I lost over half my local crowd.  So, I'm always weary of that, as charging more - gets a bigger prize, but limits players - and which makes a successful tournament?  Turnout, or prize?  And, when one stunts the other...

In the end, Funhouse was happy, Spikey seemed happy, and we had more than our fair share of positive reviews - hopefully that will turn into people using OKgamers.com more to spread the word about tournaments, and get the interest about sharing info out there - only time will tell.

X A

« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 12:09:35 pm by X_A »
OKgamers.com - our goals

Amazon03

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 10:21:58 pm »
OMG, I have sooo been looking for something just like this!! I don't know any people who play guitar hero enough to really play it, they just dik around on medium and easy. Zon<----Excited like a little school girl. I am totally there.

Amazon03

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 10:23:07 pm »
♥♥♥♥♥ it ♥♥♥♥♥ it ♥♥♥♥♥ it all to ♥♥♥♥♥. some one should have looked at ther YEAR. disregard my last post. i'll just be here hanging my head in sorrow. (sorrow and embarassment.)

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 01:20:35 pm »

YAA - way to bring up OLD THREADS!  lol  [in our defense, it does say 'tournament archived'... lol]

Anyway - not to threat, there is a GH tournament coming up this month - just check the CURRENT forum for this stuff - aka Tournaments And Events ;)

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals