Author Topic: THROWING AN EVENT? - Tips on how to use OKgamers.com! (READ ME)  (Read 5050 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
THROWING AN EVENT? - Tips on how to use OKgamers.com! (READ ME)
« on: January 26, 2008, 04:47:38 pm »

Gonna keep this short with a few tips, and links to resources you should be checking out!

--

Throwing an event? Let's be honest about how to use a website like OKgamers.com -

TIPS ON POSTING:
WHEN - Asap, but AT LEAST 2 weeks or so before your event.  Sure, if you throw something at the last second, go ahead and post; however most people check this site at a relaxed pace.  WANT RESULTS - post giving people plenty of time to see the thread, and get the word out to their friends as well!

WHERE - If you've got your key event details? Post it in the Tournament & Events forum.  If your missing your date, location, etc - post in the planning forum - that's what it's for.  Get the hype out there, while you lock down details.

WHAT - ALL YOUR CONFIRMED DETAILS!  Sure it might make for a long post, but better to put the info on there than not, and detour people from coming to an event!  (As strange as it may sound?  I know people who actively visit the site, and don't even have an account.  Just because someone CAN post to a forum to ask a question, doesn't mean they will.  PLAY IT SAFE - post all your details.)

Don't put all your eggs in one basket:
OKgamers is GREAT for getting the word out to gamers...  But don't use it alone.  Flyers, myspace - livejournal - your personal websites, and other gaming sites related to your event, etc.  Use everything you have at your disposal! 

Suggested?
Keep it simple and centralized. 
 - Post on OKgamers - and get the URL for your thread.
 - Post that URL on your Myspace, blog, journal, and game's community websites.  By linking to a central place, you only have to update one place - OKgamers.  Also, this helps promote the site to other gamers, something we appreciate!
 - FLYERS FLYERS FLYERS.  Any time you put a peice of paper out there, it's stuck in time, uneditable.  So don't get into any hairy details when you can guide them to the website that's able to be changed.

What to put on a Flyer:
GAME - focus on it with words and graphics.
DATE - give them the time you are doing it!
LOCATION - if they play the game, and are free that day, the next question they have is where...
URL - keep it simple.  Get them the what, where, when?  And then link them to www.okgamers.com

Why centralize your info on OKgamers?  It's a easy to remember URL, and we do as much as we can to setup the whole site to be used as that resource for your event! 

Got your event posted.  Got your event out there.  Got flyers out.  Now what?

Maintain your thread!  Edit the first post when things change, or new info is available!
KEEP YOUR THREAD AT THE TOP!
(after 2 weeks of no new posts, a thread falls off the front page - so keep it current)
When you edit your thread?  Post to say such.  When someone asks a question your quick reply also puts it back at the top, and shows gamers watching that your prepared. 

FLAMING OR EVENT RANKING ON YOUR THREAD?
NOT ALLOWED - and if a moderator has not already taken care of it, please alert us and we'll clean it up right away.  We know your busy, and the last thing you need is to be putting up with flaming, and having to respond to the likes.  OKgamers is an event website - not a ranking website.  We focus on getting the info out to gamers, and as such make that our number one cause.  Afterall - if we don't keep this site flamefree - then business owners and event coordinators wouldn't waste their time posting here.  No flaming is a win win, gamers get event info, and businesses know they can post in safety.

Any problems?
LET US KNOW!  PM a mod or myself and we'll do our best to take care of it!

--

ALSO - make sure you review the READ ME in this section - it's full of info we have put together to help out!

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Belkin

• Business Owner
  • Startin' Out
  • Belkin
    • View Profile
Re: THROWING AN EVENT? - Tips on how to use OKgamers.com! (READ ME)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 09:40:24 am »

Ive got a quick question regarding tournys.....is there a law prohibiting cash prizes fro those under the age of 18 and if there is, where is it? I've seen alot of tournys in the last few months that give out cash prizes for the winner but those guys were over the age of 18...but what if the winner is under the age of 18
? what then.....

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
Re: THROWING AN EVENT? - Tips on how to use OKgamers.com! (READ ME)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 04:07:14 pm »

Ive got a quick question regarding tournys.....is there a law prohibiting cash prizes fro those under the age of 18 and if there is, where is it? I've seen alot of tournys in the last few months that give out cash prizes for the winner but those guys were over the age of 18...but what if the winner is under the age of 18
? what then.....

As far as any lawyers have ever told us there isn't a problem with cash prizes period. 

I do however, suspect if you've seen age requirements it's probably from a legal perspective purely - as you cannot sign a binding contract with anyone under 18, so it's to avoid issues there for sure.

However, that ends at the point one person gains X amount of $$ from one business in a given year, at which point they'd need to be taxed.  It'd be a big concern if we regularly saw larger payouts than we do, but currently, we do not.

That's what we know at least - if anyone else has any info - let us know!

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!