Author Topic: Me, Myself, and the 3DS  (Read 4299 times)

Offline Dragonfire87

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
Me, Myself, and the 3DS
« on: October 30, 2012, 03:38:55 pm »
Hello everyone, sorta new to the forum, This being my first post nice to meet all of you, and stuff. Thought it would be interesting if I were to talk about my experience with the 3DS. after owning it for about a week, I believe I can give a decent retrospective since I'm a veteran gamer, since the ancient NES times and before then... we don't speak of the dark times.

This isn't a review but to make a discussion about the 3DS, why it's in the General Chat.

Functionality

Well I owned a DS lite before getting the 3ds and their are slight changes other than the 3D, A slightly bigger screen, and the screen on the bottem and top have a higher pixel revolution, when playing regular DS games I can see a huge improvement on just seeing the game's details I would not pick up with the DS lite, I did notice at first the screen was a bit bright, but you can change the brightness on the screen on the settings options menu.

The 3DS supports WPA/WPA2, yes yes, this is a good thing, to me personally, I rather hate having to set up a WEP connection just for my lonely DS just so it can connect to the dream world for pokemon, for starters its a less secure network, and I forgot but you gotta set up multiple pws or keys to gain access, which is a pain.

The Stylist is located on the top instead on the right hand side, DS lite is set up like the stylist is quickly accessable on the right hand side, and in some DS games that dont require the stylist unless you want to make a quick selection on the screen to save a few seconds, the stylist is right their for me, 3DS not so much, the stylist is located on the top, back behind the screen right next to the game slot, im afraid sometimes i might lose it cause it is a smaller stylist, but can be extended to the original size, meant for kids so it makes sense its smaller, but I can't help but think these things get lost alot from kids. The good thing about this stylist, is that their's a sorta latch thing that makes it imposible for the stylist to fall off if the 3ds just so happens to be in a upsidedown position.

The 3DS also comes with a 2 gig SD card, but the funny part was I thought mine was missing, cept it wasnt, it was already inside in the SD card slot spot, so all good. (and its plane SD, so its easily transferable from taking photos and saving them on a computer.)

the camera is a 3d camera technially, uses 2 lenes (0.8 mp) to take shots of images and you can see it in 3d, but its only good to see those photos in your 3ds, I dont see the appeal of it, unless we all have 3d tvs and monitors that dont need the glasses no more. I haven't tried making 3d movies..... yet

Parental Controls

Now im a adult and this option is pretty much non-existant, theirs a web browser you can use on the 3ds, this to me is a red flag, I like the idea of a browser, buuuuut make sure if this is for a kid relative, you set that parental control on and either shut off the browser or use exemptions you believe it wont harm your child's mental state, facebook or youtube.

You can also make it possible to block games that do not meet a criteria, for example not being able to play the killer death Resident evil 3ds game and such. If you plan on getting a 3ds for a relative for Christmas or something that happens to be too young to see gore (pick and choose your age apropriate level), turn it on, and access the parental controls, afterwords turn it off, wrap it, give it to your kid.

THE 3RD DIMENSIOOOON!

(OMG they are coming out of the screen rumaging in my fridge! No Mario that's My Sunny D!)

I thought the 3d was just a gimmic on this thing, and I could never get the 3d to work good on the display models (at the store you know, gamestop, Wal-Mart), cause they are all either not really working or used up or something, The display model is junk, to me when I am playing Zelda-Ocarina in Time, the 3d is just so real and amazing (tho their is some instances where Navi, the fairy will fly in and out of the screen on the back, and I feel like its gonna hit my face, so I flinch or step back a bit lol)

Their is a little adjuster on the right hand side of the screen to pretty much adjust to your distance from the screen. The official warning is you shouldnt play in 3d more than half and hour, which to me makes sense, cause whenever I'm stupid enough to watch a movie in 3d, after that same amount of time, I get the head aches and the disorientation, (serously THOR was stupid in 3D)

The Games

Now the only 3ds game I currently own is the Ocarina of Time, but I just got it as a generic title, thinking it was the same exact game but in the 3ds, I was so wrong, the redid all the graphics, tho sometimes you get the feeling your in a squareish bg from the past, all the items, link, and all his friends are all redone, (psst I wanna know what Adult Zelda looks like with the graphics redone, cause .... she looked horrible in N64, no joke) they are also making a Master quest for the Hardcore gamers, after you beat the main game, you can play the game again, this time in like INSANE hard mode, one hit death moves idk, and another mode where you can take on all the bosses at the same time, with no chance to relax, all the bosses right after another mode, which I think is cool, other than that, its the same awesome game we grew up to enjoy :)

The libriary for the 3ds is a bit slow, I would refer to the Super Mario Bros 2, and Mario 3d World, Star Fox 3ds (do a barrowroll :P) I do hear that next year they will come out with the next Pokemon official title (Gold, Silver) (Black, White ect.) to be in the 3ds, so imagine... pokemon battles.... IN 3D!!!!!

Oh and that one game, Kingdom Hearts, whats it called, im sure its a great game involving all the characters and sora and stuff, so good for anyone in this forum!

but the mobile device has been out for little over a year I think, and it's not like Nintendo to be like pffffft lets end it, it can still play all DS games, so your set if you have an older unit.

you can also download older NES, SNES, and 64 titles on the 3ds via the Nintendo store network thing

Well I hope this helps you out in a way of making a puchase for that special someone for the holidays or birthdays or something.

The Base model 3DS is just perfect for me on the go, but the huge XL version I would not suggest, unless you need to see the 3ds in a heavier bigger screen than the base model, plus wouldnt be as mobile I dont think. and more expensive. of coarse this is my opinion on the subject, to each their own.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Offline Moosterz

• Global Moderator
  • learned the ropes
  • I help out with PR and take some sweet photos!
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
  • XBL ID: Moosterz
Re: Me, Myself, and the 3DS
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 07:48:46 pm »
Friend code swap?
Mines 2664-2945-2466

I love my 3DS. I've got Super Mario Bros., Pokemon Rumble Blast, Kid Icarus, and The latest Pokemon, Black 2.
I also have a list of games from the eShop.

I don't totally hate the 3DS XL. I'd love to have one for enjoying Netflix, or Hulu(whenever they actually release it.) Ever since a friend of mine got me a 3DS for my birthday, it's on me about 95% of the time so I can get some sweet Streetpasses.

If you haven't checked out everything they have in the eShop, I recommend The Denpa Men. It's an addictive little RPG where you have to catch your characters with your 3DSs camera to use them.

Also, I bought a Gelaskin for my 3DS and it's quite awesome. :D

Offline Dragonfire87

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 12:14:09 am »
my friend code is 1375-8650-8044

and I just found this part out, ok, ummmm I sent a friend request, now I want a mesh bg, I just got bright blue, I saw that cover before somewhere, i guess its popular, I also have Black 2,

Offline Moosterz

• Global Moderator
  • learned the ropes
  • I help out with PR and take some sweet photos!
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
  • XBL ID: Moosterz
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 07:48:45 am »
Black 2 has been pretty fun, especially because I haven't played a Pokemon all the way through since like HeartGold.

The Gelaskin was on Reddit in /r/3DS. :P
I also brought my 3DS to the TNT Halloween Party for ALL THE STREETPASSES! (I only hit up one person though. :C)

Friend code accepted!
Prepare to be bombarded with random Swapnotes!