Author Topic: Want to have a tournament in Tulsa, but need a venue / organizer?  (Read 7950 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
***EDIT***

Keep in mind - this post was made half a year ago.  As a result, let me just say:

Want a tournament to happen, but don't have a venue / organizer / just that want?  Vote it in on our monthly tournament series!  We have a tournament once a month to help get the word out about this site, and it's usefulness to gamers.  The vote happens in the first few weeks after the tournament, which happens on the 2nd Sunday of every month.  Simply go check out the Tournaments & Events forum, look for a thread saying 'monthly tournaments' - and you should be set.  What's the whole reason we are doing this?  To get the facts out:  Looking for a tournament?  Wanting to post about a gamer event, and have gamers find it and pass that on?  Use OKgamers.com for that!  Spread the word.

Own a venue, or tournament hardware, and want to have tournaments?  If your a company or an individual that needs help, please contact us.  Our goals - are to improve the state.  More tournaments happening - do that.  So, if you want help, we'll do whatever is in our power to help your event, help you get the word out; whatever your needing.  Consulting, actually running the tournament for you, marketing, whatever.  We'll help, because we want to see it happen!

Do you have sponsorship funding, and don't know where to point it?  As you may have seen on the front page, there is a sponsorship page to check out.  If you have further questions, or want to simply start a conversation quickly, feel free to use the contact form, and we'll be with you shortly.

Word - is starting to get out, only a few months after taking this movement seriously.  People are showing up, and wanting more.  We'll do what we can, but we'll need the community just as much as ever.  If your a gamer, hook up with our efforts.  If your just a person trying to help gamers, or get your message to them, we are here for you.  Let's all 'get in the game'.

- Your OKgamers Staff

// -------Old Post Below-------- //

In the effort to get the word out about OKgamers.com and increase communication - personally I've been throwing / organizing alot of tournaments.  It's gotten to the point where people have just been coming to me and asking about throwing a tournament.  After some debate and conversations, I figure this will be my personal golden rule:

If you / we start a thread about this tournament idea in Tournament Planning / or a new game thread in the competition section - and have 10 people post on that thread and say they are interested in that tournament / the idea of having a tournament for said game(s) - then I'll make it happen.

This simply tells me it's worth the time and effort to do it, which is basically all I'm asking.

The usual deal I work out is with Funhouse, an arcade in Tulsa, that's soon moving to the Riverwalk.  They need us to usually charge console/non-arcade game tournaments 5$ entry, which you get 10$'s worth of Funhouse tokens for.  We are also looking to work out a food / token / drinks deal in the future / after they move, so we'll see.  If the game is a game they have in the arcade, then it's usually just a pay per play deal, with charging a fee for admission only if we wish to have a money prize / prize supported by that fee.

Times are usually dependant on day chosen to have the tournament.  If it's Monday through Thursday, it could be just about any time during the day.  If it's the weekend, usually it needs to start after 8pm, due to scheduling / venue events, with Sunday being potentially able to be earlier.

Another component is multiple games.  I have about 3 total people to run games.  That should more than enough cover a event / the needs of any tournaments people wise.  

Beyond people and tournament venue, we usually need hardware / the games themselves.  If it's a card game like Magic, then we'll have the tables and seats taken care of.  If it's a console game, I've got several powerstrips and TV's, so depending on your expected turn out we might need more TV's, and then of course the systems / games / controllers in question.

--

Well, that's what I know.  I put this out there because of talks with Naruto, GGXX, and Smash64 players.  We will be having a Monthly Tournaments day soon, as it's in the planning / trying to figure out what day a month is best - and we can include your game / games your interested into that if you like, or do it seperately.  I know of a few other potential venues, all with different rules and needs, I just perfer Funhouse as it's already a gaming location, and gives a good platform for flyers / getting the word out - a hard thing to do in this state.  

If your are wanting a tournament for your game in the Tulsa area, you know what I can do for you now.

If your another organizer and want to offer your help I encourage you to figure out what your needs are, and make a similiar post.  Really, there are so many communities out there we could be helping out, we just need to get the word out, and communicate - thus the whole reason for this site.

If you are someone with a venue / want to offer sponsorships - feel free to post here or contact me via email.

X A
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 04:21:37 pm by X_A »
Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

hozanto

Re: Want to have a tournament in Tulsa, but need a venue / organizer?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 04:08:58 pm »
X_A: Why is most of the post crossed out?  Will Funhouse no longer host tourneys?

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 04:44:52 pm »
X_A: Why is most of the post crossed out?  Will Funhouse no longer host tourneys?

Small glitch in forum switch I guess, anyway fixed now.

To my knowledge - Funhouse is definitely up for hosting things.  Whether it's as late in the day anymore - that might change - maybe more afternoon type events.  Not sure though, will know alot more after the August 5th Guitar Hero tournament.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 04:23:33 pm »

Updated the situation in the first post.  Left the old post in there still, just to let you know where we've come from, and help understand some of our thinking that still is in effect currently.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline LGPxSTEEEL

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:35:39 pm »
H1, H2 FTW!!!

nathan_would

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 12:58:47 am »
GoW/XO6/H3/GH2 FTW

Night Everclear

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 09:20:41 am »
Hey, do you have a few of the venues in mind that I could use to host a tournament. I want to do the monthly tournament, but I really just need a place to hold it. I think I have almost everything lined up to where it will work out fine, everything but a place to play. If you could help me with that, it would be awesome.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 12:28:30 am »

I'm familiar with several venues that might be open to the idea of a monthly tournament - however your going to have to give me a bit more information on what kind of games you'll be playing, so I can have an idea of what venues would even be well suited for you.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Night Everclear

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 04:03:28 am »
Halo 3- 2v2 and 4v4
SSBM 2v2

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 03:44:00 pm »

On sunday's as we've done in the past, Funhouse would work for your games.

If your looking for a saturday available venue, then we can speak to Joe Momma's; the only problem is Halo requires such a massive space of tables and chairs that they could only cover so much, and probably would only be good for SSBM at that point.  Another direction you could start is to shake down the costs for what a hotel conference room would cost. 

Are you a TCC or other college student?

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Punish3r

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • 1337 Filmmaker
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 05:26:31 pm »
Joe Mamma's is pretty small, but definitely a very cool place to have a tourney.

What's that smell?

Mhm. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, in the very near future, anyone?  ;)

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 04:20:01 pm »
Joe Momma's isn't huge - but they've got great parking and food, and for a fighting game, they are a great option.  The problem is when you get into a lan style game - where you've got to have SO MANY SETUPS - that it becomes unfeasable.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Punish3r

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • 1337 Filmmaker
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 10:20:01 pm »
Very true. I guess if it was a nice day we could string power outside as well  :P

I haven't been there in quite awhile, they still have the arcade?

Night Everclear

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 02:49:38 am »
Okay. We can probably do it on a Sunday. How much is it at Funhouse?

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 03:25:46 pm »
Okay. We can probably do it on a Sunday. How much is it at Funhouse?

The agreement I had with the owner was to charge 5$ a person, and they'd get 10$ in tokens.  Keep in mind, it is a arcade, so if you give them that, they'll usually work with you.  At that point I'd charge anywhere for a total of 6$ - 1 to cover our flyer costs, to 10$, with 4 going into a pot.  If you've got your act together, and work well with the owner, you shouldn't have any problems.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals