Author Topic: Norman - NormanLan H2 tourny - 4/7/07  (Read 9478 times)

leth4l

Re: Is it possible - to get someone to TITLE things clearly? lool
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 01:52:50 pm »
Lets dissect this post shall we?

1.  This past Lan 61 people pre registered and only 33 showed up.

We had 38 not 33. Only 24 of those 61 registered people showed up. The other 14 were walk-ins. That is a pretty pathetic percentage of reg-to-show.

2.  They GUARANTEED prize money would at least be the same as last year no matter what. (400 1st, 100 2nd, 20 for 3rd)  It ended up being I think 160 for 1st, 80 for 2nd, and 40 for 3rd, and split 4 ways of course.  And this was only after they took 20 dollars of Pr1mo's FFA winnings and put that in the 4v4 pot without asking him.  Correct me if I'm wrong Pr1m0.

If we had 60 people show (46 registered and 14 walk-ins **very realistic**) the money would have stayed the same as last year. If you want to complain about low prize money look to each person/team that registered who didn't show...not the staff. We actually put money in from our pockets to make things a little higher because it was so bad.

3.  They do not own Norman Halo.  They mainly play CS and are more a CPU Gaming organization than a console, Norman DESPERATELY NEEDS a console arena.

We were, are, and always will be a PC organization. However, we had a lot of requests for a console tournament so we threw one. The first one was pretty rocky, but people still wanted us to throw another one. Since staffing was going to be low, we decided to have a console only event.

Honestly if I tried, I could put on a better tournament than these guys.

Good luck. They are super easy to do and your first event will be huge and successful.

No fliers were distributed, no signs, nothing at all but the website.  It was word of mouth, and even though it was in a large town like Norman, only 4 or 5 Norman teams appeared.  Others were from Lawton and Tulsa.  They couldn't do something as simple as post fliers in middle and high schools, that woulda doubled teams easy.

Ahhhh.....so the high schools kids didn't know about it, and if they did we would have had double the teams show? Well...according to you they all knew about it because you told them, and EASILY double the teams from last year were coming:

Quote from: McCoolio
This would be bigger though since its at a central location in the state. Word has been spread through all the high school and I have talked to multiple teams that are coming. We had 10 last year. That should be doubled easily.
http://forums.normanlan.com/viewtopic.php?p=865#865

It is so far from the truth anyway:
1. Flyers were posted from Norman to Midwest City at most of the local gaming shops.
2. Flyers were posted in Forums and gamer websites from San Antonio to St. Louis FOR MONTHS!
3. Advertisements were posted in the OU HUB.
4. The Event info was on the Cleveland County Fairgrounds electronic marque for weeks.

FYI - Schools will not let you post flyer's on their campuses unless it is a school sponsored event or you pay $. This is why we always have a printable flyer on our website for each event that kids can distribute around the student body of each school.

5.  Many kids were led on, blatently lied to and ripped off.

Please show examples for each.

They said there would be foor prizes, NOPE.

I am guessing you mean "door" prizes? We contacted around 75 companies for sponsorship in Feb. Bawls and Red Octane are the only ones who stepped up, but they waited until 1 week before the event. I could have got some PC companies to send stuff, but the console gamers complained about this last time. We pulled all mention of door prizes from the website weeks before the event because we didn't want to pull a bait-and-switch.

They shoulda put that money towards the pot since there were no door prizes, right?  NOPE THEY DIDN'T.

What is this extra money that you speak of? The registration money barely paid for the facility/operation costs. What was left over was thrown into the tournament payout pot.

It cost 10 to pre register online, which few did, the majority of 33 tourney-goers paid the 20 dollar fee at the door.

Absolute and complete lies. 20....TWENTY....two---zero.....veinte.....people who registered online and actually showed up pre-paid the $10. Thats more than half kiddo.

THEN if you couldn't bring stuff they charged you $10 each for an XBOX and a TV.

Welcome to a BYOC (Bring your own crap) LAN. Having a BYOC event keeps costs dramatically down for you. If you don't bring your own stuff we have equipment available for you to rent. Don't want to bring your own stuff or don't want to pay to use ours...don't come. We PC gamers (who started LAN parties) have been hauling our own rigs around for over a decade now. Why should it be different for you. 

So if you didn't pre-register you could've ended up paying 50 dollars to them just to play in the tournament.

So pre-register.

I find it amusing that you are the only gamer who attended our last event that has said anything negative (besides low payout). Let me just post some of the positive comments:

Quote from: Rocky
I would like to thank you for putting on the tournament. I had alot of fun. I wish there was more competition and I hope you guys didnt go negative this year. I hope we can have more of these in the future. It was great. I would like to say thank you for all your hard work and its nice to know somebody is trying to get something going in this state. I mean honestly you are the MLG of Oklahoma and Im your Ogre 1 haha just kidding but seriously....I really do appreciate it.
Quote from: xX CaDDy
put up another tourney in june
Quote from: Strotnium
omg family guy ftw! gg guys i had alot of fun
-PR1m0
Quote from: CaDDy54
it was good my team got 4th and i got3rd ffa.
It was ran well..but i ended up losing money despite winning the 4v4...but oh well had fun met some people it was cool.
Quote from: G Wade
this tourney was so much fun.....and last but not least thanks to Norman LAN for putting on this bomb ♥♥♥ tourney!
Quote from: SuperSmiley
the norman lan tourney was pretty fun.
Quote from: snapped2
The tourny was fun as ♥♥♥♥♥.
well it was a lot of fun.

Now a few interesting ones:
Ya it was fun in all and thats what matters, I wish more people that signed up woulda played it was disappointing. The movie room was sick btw
http://forums.normanlan.com/viewtopic.php?p=914#914

It was good competition actually
http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2426852&postcount=989

If more people woulda came the payout would have been better but Oklahoma is full of dummies apparently, who can't come to something they sign up for
http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2426972&postcount=991

Everyone won the games they should have won, and got the place they should've gotten so I don't think anything went wrong.
http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2427942&postcount=1014

Wait a minute....I thought it was an absolutely horrible event and we totally screwed you? I thought it was our fault for the low payouts?  :o

The bottom line is that everything you posted here is a bunch of lies and bullshit. Every decision we made at this tournament (payout, seedings, brackets, rules) was ran through TWO of your fellow peers (Rocky and Sparkz) because this is who the MLG forum crowd felt was the most experienced to help us out. These are two people with no ties to the Norman LAN staff or our organization and chosen by you to represent the gamers best interests in every decision process during the event. They did a ♥♥♥♥♥ of a job and are one of the main reasons why the tournaments ran so smoothly and made the event an overall success. You are a crybaby who gets booted off his own Halo team BY HIS OWN FRIENDS! Due to your blatant flaming and lies about the Norman LAN group and its staff you will no longer be allowed entry to any of our future events....ever. Congrats...you are the first person to receive a life-long ban.

Mod...please lock this thread due to its inaccuracies and obvious smear campaign from a very VERY confused individual
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 04:04:46 pm by leth4l »

mccoolio

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 03:58:25 pm »
Lets dissect this post shall we?

1.  This past Lan 61 people pre registered and only 33 showed up.

We had 38 not 33. Only 24 of those 61 registered people showed up. The other 14 were walk-ins. That is a pretty pathetic percentage of reg-to-show.

2.  They GUARANTEED prize money would at least be the same as last year no matter what. (400 1st, 100 2nd, 20 for 3rd)  It ended up being I think 160 for 1st, 80 for 2nd, and 40 for 3rd, and split 4 ways of course.  And this was only after they took 20 dollars of Pr1mo's FFA winnings and put that in the 4v4 pot without asking him.  Correct me if I'm wrong Pr1m0.

If we had 60 people show (46 registered and 14 walk-ins **very realistic**) the money would have stayed the same as last year. If you want to complain about low prize money look to each person/team that registered who didn't show...not the staff. We actually put money in from our pockets to make things a little higher because it was so bad.

3.  They do not own Norman Halo.  They mainly play CS and are more a CPU Gaming organization than a console, Norman DESPERATELY NEEDS a console arena.

We were, are, and always will be a PC organization. However, we had a lot of requests for a console tournament so we threw one. The first one was pretty rocky, but people still wanted us to throw another one. Since staffing was going to be low, we decided to have a console only event.

Honestly if I tried, I could put on a better tournament than these guys.

Good luck. They are super easy to do and your first event will be huge and successful.

No fliers were distributed, no signs, nothing at all but the website.  It was word of mouth, and even though it was in a large town like Norman, only 4 or 5 Norman teams appeared.  Others were from Lawton and Tulsa.  They couldn't do something as simple as post fliers in middle and high schools, that woulda doubled teams easy.

Ahhhh.....so the high schools kids didn't know about it, and if they did we would have had double the teams show? Well...according to you they all knew about it because you told them, and EASILY double the teams from last year were coming:

This would be bigger though since its at a central location in the state. Word has been spread through all the high school and I have talked to multiple teams that are coming. We had 10 last year. That should be doubled easily.
http://forums.normanlan.com/viewtopic.php?p=865#865

It is so far from the truth anyway:
1. Flyers were posted from Norman to Midwest City at most of the local gaming shops.
2. Flyers were posted in Forums and gamer websites from San Antonio to St. Louis FOR MONTHS!
3. Advertisements were posted in the OU HUB.
4. The Event info was on the Cleveland County Fairgrounds electronic marque for weeks.

FYI - Schools will not let you post flyer's on their campuses unless it is a school sponsored event or you pay $. This is why we always have a printable flyer on our website for each event that kids can distribute around the student body of each school.

5.  Many kids were led on, blatently lied to and ripped off.

Please show examples for each.

They said there would be foor prizes, NOPE.

I am guessing you mean "floor" prizes? We contacted around 75 companies for sponsorship in Feb. Bawls and Red Octane are the only one who stepped up, but they waited until 1 week before the event. I could have got some PC companies to send stuff, but the console gamers complained about this last time. We pulled all mention of floor prizes from the website weeks before the event because we didn't want to pull a bait-and-switch.

They shoulda put that money towards the pot since there were no door prizes, right?  NOPE THEY DIDN'T.

What is this extra money that you speak of? The registration money barely paid for the facility/operation costs. What was left over was thrown into the tournament payout pot.

It cost 10 to pre register online, which few did, the majority of 33 tourney-goers paid the 20 dollar fee at the door.

Absolute and complete lies. 20....TWENTY....two---zero.....veinte.....people who registered online and actually showed up pre-paid the $10. Thats more than half kiddo.

THEN if you couldn't bring stuff they charged you $10 each for an XBOX and a TV.

Welcome to a BYOC (Bring your own crap) LAN. Having a BYOC event keeps costs dramatically down for you. If you don't bring your own stuff we have equipment available for you to rent. Don't want to bring your own stuff or don't want to pay to use ours...don't come. We PC gamers (who started LAN parties) have been hauling our own rigs around for over a decade now. Why should it be different for you. 

So if you didn't pre-register you could've ended up paying 50 dollars to them just to play in the tournament.

So pre-register.

I find it amusing that you are the only gamer who attended our last event that has said anything negative (besides low payout). Let me just post some of the positive comments:

I would like to thank you for putting on the tournament. I had alot of fun. I wish there was more competition and I hope you guys didnt go negative this year. I hope we can have more of these in the future. It was great. I would like to say thank you for all your hard work and its nice to know somebody is trying to get something going in this state. I mean honestly you are the MLG of Oklahoma and Im your Ogre 1 haha just kidding but seriously....I really do appreciate it.
Quote from: xX CaDDy
put up another tourney in june
Quote from: Strotnium
omg family guy ftw! gg guys i had alot of fun
-PR1m0
Quote from: CaDDy54
it was good my team got 4th and i got3rd ffa.
It was ran well..but i ended up losing money despite winning the 4v4...but oh well had fun met some people it was cool.
this tourney was so much fun.....and last but not least thanks to Norman LAN for putting on this bomb ♥♥♥ tourney!
Quote from: SuperSmiley
the norman lan tourney was pretty fun.
Quote from: snapped2
The tourny was fun as ♥♥♥♥♥.
well it was a lot of fun.

Now a few interesting ones:
Ya it was fun in all and thats what matters, I wish more people that signed up woulda played it was disappointing. The movie room was sick btw
http://forums.normanlan.com/viewtopic.php?p=914#914

It was good competition actually
http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2426852&postcount=989

If more people woulda came the payout would have been better but Oklahoma is full of dummies apparently, who can't come to something they sign up for
http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2426972&postcount=991

Everyone won the games they should have won, and got the place they should've gotten so I don't think anything went wrong.
http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2427942&postcount=1014

Wait a minute....I thought it was an absolutely horrible event and we totally screwed you? I thought it was our fault for the low payouts?  :o

The bottom line is that everything you posted here is a bunch of lies and bullshit. Every decision we made at this tournament (payout, seedings, brackets, rules) was ran through TWO of your fellow peers (Rocky and Sparkz) because this is who the MLG forum crowd felt was the most experienced to help us out. You are a crybaby who gets booted off his own Halo team BY HIS OWN FRIENDS! Due to your blatant flaming and lies about the Norman LAN group and its staff you will no longer be allowed entry to any of our future events....ever. Congrats...you are the first person to receive a life-long ban.

Mod...please lock this thread due to its inaccuracies and obvious smear campaign from a very VERY confused individual

*edit since first post*  You say I am the only one to complain besides low payout, sadly enough, thats what the majority of people play in tournaments for.  Money.  Especially good teams like Check Plz.  You TOOK MONEY from Pr1m0 and added it to the 4v4 pot without consulting him....WOW.

It was bad. Period.  Its just people are too scared to tell what they really think.  Sure it was fun for the people who won, cuz you let them pick seeds, gametypes and everything else, and pretty much bowed down to their will.  Cough 300 Cough. 

Second off, I'm the only person who has the balls to bring up how shitty the lan was.  Don't talk down to me just because I'm giving my opinion.  Kids left crying because you let people make fun of them for being bad and they wouldn't stay for the 4v4. So even LESS people played.

Thirdly, my team has begged me to come back.

Fourthly, it did suck and hopefully no one will be cowards and not back me up on this.

The compliments I gave were about the people at the tourney or not at it.  I did not once compliment how it was ran or how I loved the prize money.

You GUARANTEED ME in a PM prize money would be the at least the same as last year no matter how many people participated.  I'm too lazy to post links or I'd put it on here. You falsely advertised DOOR prizes.

It sucked in general its just you were sucking all over Pr1m0, Rocky and Sparkz's nuts so they are going to be nice to you, because they won.  You didn't get seeding right, not even close, you didn't know rules.  It was sad. 

And yes putting on tourneys is easy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 01:42:33 am by mccoolio »

mccoolio

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 04:16:03 pm »
And I can already tell you've gone back and edited your post after I called you out in my reply.  Weak. 

P.S.  Maybe you think it didn't go so well because you tried to CANCEL IT THE WEEK BEFORE!?  Dumb

mccoolio

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 04:25:45 pm »
Sorry I can't stop going with my posts.   ::)  Maybe you posted on other forums before, but you waited way too long to start posting on MLGPRO and on OKGAMERS, two of the most prominent Console gaming sites, and ones easily accessible to all players.

Offline LGPxSTEEEL

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2007, 06:26:30 pm »
stop aregueing plz. or thisd threadll be locked.

Offline DrViper

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Check Please
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2007, 10:06:37 pm »
Alright so ill give my 2 cents about this tourney.   It was probably the 2nd worse tournament I have ever been to, 2nd only to last years tournament ran my normanlan.  It didnt bother me that I had to bring all of my own ♥♥♥♥, I like my setup.  But I do believe the rentals were overpriced for some really crappy TVs.  They could of easily seeded the 4v4 with the FFA results, but instead they just asked Rocky who the top 3 teams were, then randomly gave out the other seeds. (my team was 6 seed and we got 2nd place).  They had to ask Rocky for all of the gametype info and hosting issues.  My main issue with all of this is that Rocky pretty much ran the whole tournament and all they did was sit there and relay the information. 

P.S.  Leth4l please dont hack my mlgpro account like you did to McCool... I changed my password so it will at least be a little more difficult than to just look at the login and password we have for your website and then try it for other websites.   

leth4l

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2007, 11:46:38 pm »
They had to ask Rocky for all of the gametype info and hosting issues.  My main issue with all of this is that Rocky pretty much ran the whole tournament and all they did was sit there and relay the information. 

Well...since you weren't privy to any of the conversations between Goliath, Rocky, Sparkz, and myself...let me give you a little insight. The tournaments (schedule, rules, gametype, ext) were discussed the night before between the Norman LAN staff. We put everything down on paper. Once Rocky and Sparkz showed for the event we had them look over everything to confirm that it was 100% MLG compliant (which it was). The seeding was done between the staff and Rocky/Sparkz since they know each teams skill level more than we would. We ran the entire tournament not them. Once again...if you have problems with the seeding talk to the people that you elected to speak on your behalf.

P.S.  Leth4l please dont hack my mlgpro account like you did to McCool... I changed my password so it will at least be a little more difficult than to just look at the login and password we have for your website and then try it for other websites.

Kid....the passwords on our site are encrypted with 128 bit md5 hashes....virtually impossible to crack for ANYONE. Plus if I was going to mess with any of his accounts I certainly would have logged into here to delete all of his bullshit comments... not put some picture of an ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ in his sig on some other site. Go find a scapegoat for your boys issue somewhere else.

Anyways...that will be our last Halo tournament. We have been hosting PC LAN's for almost 4 years now without any of the bullshit problems and complaints that the Halo players seem to have. We will never make you happy so we will stop trying.

-Last year you complained that the entry fee was too high
-This year we cut the prepay in half and you complained that you couldn't prepay

-Last year you complained about the 4k in prizes that we handed out because they weren't useful to you.
-This year we couldn't secure any different sponsors and you complained that you didn't get anything.

-Last year you complained that we didn't focus on the Halo tournaments.
-This year we run a console only event and only 1/3 of you actually showed up.

-Last year you complained about the seeding.
-This year we get 2 of your peers to help out with deciding seeds, and you complain that they were still messed up

-Last year you complained that the rules were not proper.
-This year we run a "MLG-complient" event and you complain that we had 2 of your peers (who you chose btw) help out to run things by-the-book

-Last year you complained that not enough teams showed up
-This year we doubled our advertising campaign on the Halo tournaments and you complain that we didn't advertise enough

-Last year you complained about the "crappy" TV's
-This year we allowed you to bring your own setup, yet you still complain about the TV's that are OPTIONAL to rent.

If anyone wants to get upset at our decision to leave the Halo gaming arena behind....please direct that on the people who would rather hurt an organization built FOR you instead of helping it along. We have a feedback section in our forums for comments and suggestions, yet these folks choose to flame us elsewhere (2 weeks later none the less). We have always listened to the constructive criticism of our community and tried like ♥♥♥♥♥ to improve those areas for the next event. We even brought this event back from cancellation because of an outcry from the Halo players, yet some are still not satisfied.

For those of you who really think that OKgamers will throw an event in Norman....think again. As X_A has already stated...this organization is simply a centralized HUB for the gamers in Oklahoma and the folks who host events to meet. They are in no way an actual LAN organization and will probably not host any tournaments outside of NE OK (due to time, financial, and location restraints). You will need to look for that next great/huge/successful Halo tournament in Norman to come from the experienced and well organized efforts of Mr. McCool since he has already committed to doing it. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Those were my final thoughts on the subject. Take care Halo players!

Offline Pr1m0

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2007, 12:31:09 am »
i still love you leth4l

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
Re: Norman - NormanLan H2 tourny - 4/7/07
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2007, 01:38:15 am »

Let's get a few things straight:

THERE WILL BE ZERO ATTACKS ON POSTERS ALLOWED - I know there is no terms of service, that changes tonight, thanks guys, you just killed my schedule FURTHER losing time to this as now a immidiate need.  Great.

You can attack idea's, not people.  General rule, learn it now.

Second - get constructive, or stop posting.  This will not spiral into a debate on who sucks personally, or how the event was trash.  You have a issue - list it constructively WITHOUT hurling insults, lest I delete it and more.

Third - OKgamers isn't going to save anyone.  Let me share my motto on this:

Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything!

It's alot like what Leth4l already said, we aren't a LAN organization.  We are providing a place to get the word out about your events.  We throw what we can in an effort to help get the word out about the site, but that is Tulsa based not on bias, but where so much of the staff is located.  You want help in organizing, tips, etc?  We'll do that.  Beyond those resources, dunno guys, good luck, and keep us in the know.

Fourth - and final - biting the hand that feeds.  It seems to come across to me that tournaments are a god given right or something - it takes HOURS and DAYS worth of preperation for an event, and I assure you Leth4l, myself, anyone that has thrown even one serious tournament - knows this. 

REMEMBER that when you want to lay into a organizer.  Not that I'll have that as a allowed option for much longer anyway...  Off to produce a TOS, instead of sleep, or catch up on things I'm behind on outside of OKg  -_-

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!