Author Topic: Video Card Suggestions? (Manufacturer, Not Chipset)  (Read 2289 times)

Offline FyreFlyeRush

• OKgamers Supporters
  • learned the ropes
  • Tattoos hurt...and I like it.
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: FyreFlyeRush
  • XBL ID: FyreFlyeRush
Video Card Suggestions? (Manufacturer, Not Chipset)
« on: January 27, 2011, 10:10:35 am »
OK, my 2 year old nVidia GTX 275 apparently isn't going to cut it for DA][ 's recommended specs, that game has some SERIOUS reqs. I'm looking at replacing it with a 400 or 500 series card. I'm leaning toward the 500 series since the 400s have are the ones causing issue in LagOps. I usually go EVGA, but I'm hearing really good things about a company I've never heard of, Sparkle.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of or used them before, or had any other suggestions.  I need to replace my case and PSU, as well, so at this time the physical size of the card isn't really an issue.

"I haven't been shot in the head nearly enough times to make that sound like a good idea."
Commander Shepard

DarkWraith56

Re: Video Card Suggestions? (Manufacturer, Not Chipset)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:21:00 am »
OK, my 2 year old nVidia GTX 275 apparently isn't going to cut it for DA][ 's recommended specs, that game has some SERIOUS reqs. I'm looking at replacing it with a 400 or 500 series card. I'm leaning toward the 500 series since the 400s have are the ones causing issue in LagOps. I usually go EVGA, but I'm hearing really good things about a company I've never heard of, Sparkle.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of or used them before, or had any other suggestions.  I need to replace my case and PSU, as well, so at this time the physical size of the card isn't really an issue.

hmmm, honestly i would wait another quarter before looking heavily into a new card, the newest cards are meh IMO, the Nvidia ones shouldve been released last year, and honestly i would say at this point the only reason ATI released the 6000 series was to keep Nvidia from overtaking to much right now, the 580 barely comes ahead of the 480 (should blow it out of the water). If you are going to buy a card id say look at the 6970 or the 580. But honestly i would wait. the 580 and 6970 just exchange blows as far as FPS in games. But the new 28 nm architecture should be coming out soon, and when it does im pretty sure its gonna be ridiculous.

Just looking at the pre-release info on the 28nm kepler makes it look twice as good,  i doubt it will be much more expensive than the new 580's.

Personal oppinion you could always get a 480 and just OC it yourself and save 100 bucks or get a 6970 and save even more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125350&cm_re=gtx_480-_-14-125-350-_-Product

People appear to be liking that card.(already OC'd no work for you!)

As far as manufacturer goes, honestly i havent had a problem with any of them, ive used PNY, Gigabyte, Asus on and on. 99% of them have been OC'd and put through ♥♥♥♥♥. I think it really just comes to personal opinion at that point.

meh not really a fan of the 500 series or the 6000 series just not enough of an improvement for me to want to buy into it.

ALSO, your 275 should run it fine. i doubt you'll be able to go to 16 x AA, but youll still be able to max out texture and such.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:42:51 am by DarkWraith »

Offline FyreFlyeRush

• OKgamers Supporters
  • learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 11:42:04 am »
I guess I can wait. We shall see how long. DA][ comes out in early March.  It'll be a matter of seeing how bad it runs.  I'm good on everything BUT the card. And, my 275 is no slouch.

I just learned my lesson with The Sims 2. I was above and beyond the mimimum reqs, but I was lacking on the video card for the recommended. I thought I'd be fine. I was wrong. When they said recommended, they meant...it'll run like crap with anything less than this.

"I haven't been shot in the head nearly enough times to make that sound like a good idea."
Commander Shepard

DarkWraith56

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 11:51:16 am »
I guess I can wait. We shall see how long. DA][ comes out in early March.  It'll be a matter of seeing how bad it runs.  I'm good on everything BUT the card. And, my 275 is no slouch.

I just learned my lesson with The Sims 2. I was above and beyond the mimimum reqs, but I was lacking on the video card for the recommended. I thought I'd be fine. I was wrong. When they said recommended, they meant...it'll run like crap with anything less than this.

well the recommended card is an 8800, your system will run it fine. WELL, it's honestly looking like its going to take some serious processing power.

I made my friend try on his laptop with a 9800m and it hit the recommended. so in all honesty i think you'll be in good shape.

Offline FyreFlyeRush

• OKgamers Supporters
  • learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 11:58:31 am »
OS: Windows XP with SP3; Windows Vista with SP2; Windows 7
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz Processor or equivalent; AMD Phenom II X3 Triple core 2.8GHz or Equivalent
Memory: 2GB (4 GB Vista and Windows 7)
Video: ATI 3850 512MB or Greater; NVIDIA 8800GTS 512MB or Greater; DirectX 11: ATI 5850 or Greater; NVIDIA 460 or Greater

Window 7...DirectX 11.  I think I'll be OK.

Commander Shepard

DarkWraith56

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 12:04:16 pm »
OS: Windows XP with SP3; Windows Vista with SP2; Windows 7
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz Processor or equivalent; AMD Phenom II X3 Triple core 2.8GHz or Equivalent
Memory: 2GB (4 GB Vista and Windows 7)
Video: ATI 3850 512MB or Greater; NVIDIA 8800GTS 512MB or Greater; DirectX 11: ATI 5850 or Greater; NVIDIA 460 or Greater

Window 7...DirectX 11.  I think I'll be OK.

hmmm well i mean honestly, i think DX 11 will be overkill on it, besides i dont think the 275 has DX 11? correct me if im wrong. i thought the first Nvidia card that had DX11 was the 460 anyways. You wont need DX 11 to run the game. Just an option probably just prettier smoke or something lol :P

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 12:08:05 pm »
I run stuff on my 8600 gts just fine

of course i play minecraft, and... indie games

Offline FyreFlyeRush

• OKgamers Supporters
  • learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 12:58:08 pm »
hmmm well i mean honestly, i think DX 11 will be overkill on it, besides i dont think the 275 has DX 11? correct me if im wrong. i thought the first Nvidia card that had DX11 was the 460 anyways. You wont need DX 11 to run the game. Just an option probably just prettier smoke or something lol :P

You know what...I think you're right....and I knew that, too. *facepalm*

@Bees McGee  ain't nothing wrong with that.

Commander Shepard

DarkWraith56

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 01:42:06 pm »

You know what...I think you're right....and I knew that, too. *facepalm*

lol the second you know anything about computers, you worry about the little stuff, i do it ALL the time, like the second i see any kind of increase in temps i have to buy like 12 new fans to stop freaking out (exaggeration). Nah, really not wanting to jump on the DX11 train yet way to glitchy imo, if people think that Blackops has issues with framerate wait until they start playing on DX11. Which could be what is causing the issue. However after the last patch, it seems to have gotten way better, i can finally run Fraps in it and stay above 40 fps