Author Topic: Tulsa/Jenks - Monthly Tournaments Start! - October 8th, 2006  (Read 13083 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
Tulsa/Jenks - Monthly Tournaments Start! - October 8th, 2006
« on: August 30, 2006, 12:54:22 pm »
Place -
Funhouse at the Riverwalk
500 Riverwalk Terrace, Suite 100
Map: Google Maps link

Date -
Sunday October 8, 2006

Time -
5pm - 5:45pm - Signup for DDR / Halo2
6PM DDR Supernova, Halo2 Tournaments start

8pm - 8:45pm - Signup for Smash64
9pm - Smash64 Tournament starts [if we can, we'll start earlier]

Cost -

DDR - 5$ entry fee - Winner gets half the pot, 2nd gets 20% of the pot and 10$ in tokens, 3rd gets 10$ in tokens

Halo 2 - 5$ - and you get 10$ worth of tokens in note form.

Smash - if you played in Halo, free.  If you didn't same as Halo.

**Remember, this is a trial run of the whole concept, so thus we are going to try most of the games without prizes / fee's really.

**Don't like a part of this setup?  Make your voice heard.  Show up.  Fill out a survey, we'll have one for you to voice your opinions on.  Make the next one better.  You will be listened to :)**

--

Event -
Monthly Tournaments.  This is where we get together and have several events at once.  We do this to have a set date that things happen on and thus it's easier to get the word out, and also to get larger groups of people, to help cross-promote all the games we are interested in, and to have fun.

Dates - For this year we'll do them on the second Sunday of every month, starting in October, for the rest of the year.  So -

October 8th, November 12th, December 10th.

--

Games - this is a trial run for the event.  So - we are only going to have the 3 highest voted for games -

DDR Supernova, Halo 2, Smash 64

Now, I'll need some help with Smash hardware [consoles, controllers], but I'll REALLY need some help with Halo stuff to get it going.

Smash - you guys wanted it, we'll be having it.

DDR and Halo will be at 6pm, Smash at 9pm.

We'll see how the venue handles the crowds, and go from there on decisions for next time.

--

Rules -

DDR - TBD, make sure you see notes on prizes above in 'cost'.

Halo 2 - either 2v2 or 3v3 - we'll determine that upon signup.

Smash64 - Team Play, so 2v2 - similar to http://www.okgamers.com/forums/index.php?topic=12.0

--
Seeing as this is the first time I think anyone in Oklahoma has even tried to have monthly tournaments on this scale - we have alot of questions and 'should we do this, or this' going on.  THUS - we are going to keep it simple this time around, take an active poll / survey of players in attendance, and use that to mold the November tournament.

Spread the word.  Show up and play, or at least fill out a survey.  Get ready for this, and the next ones.

X A

« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 09:49:35 pm by X_A »
Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Hollywood

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Re: Tulsa/Jenks - Monthly Tournaments Start! - October 8th, 2006
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 07:35:31 am »
Smash 64 all the way. Excitment runs rampant. Now Eugene and Mark have to fight to see who gets me as a teammate (that is if we do teams)

So we should decide how that will work. Solo or teams? Anything?
The charming, cunning, and oh so good looking...
O_-  Hollywood  -_O

Looking to improve on Modern Warfare Duece!
Gamertag = iDubya

hozanto

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 09:08:03 am »
Will you need my help from me?  I have a modded Xbox with Halo 2 on the HD.   

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 04:04:45 pm »

Sup Josh!

The way I brain it - is if the Halo guys don't want to support it / can't help me out with some hardware, then we'll just do Smash and something else / play it by ear / pick a substitute game soon.  Realistically - I am only doing Halo because these guys don't seem to get much tourny action, and they wanted it bad enough they should get it.  The only thing I've asked for is the hardware support - and a idea on how to run it / help there.  If they don't want to - then yea, meh.  That's on them, and I'll just do a bigger smash tournament and something else.

In the end, if they don't have enough hardware / feel bringing in yours would be good, then I'll let you know, else we'll just do something else.  I say we give them about 2 weeks or so to see what is up - and decide on a replacement if there is no love by then.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Pinkie

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 05:08:09 pm »
I should be able to make it. Only problem is I get out of church at 6 so I'll be late for Halo 2, not very good at DDR, but should make Smash. My church is close to the Riverwalk so that helps too. Will try to help with hardware if possible. Can't wait for this, just hope my dad lets me go  ;)

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 04:33:48 pm »

Andrew - you also seemed to have multiple people interested in this actually happening - well it is now.  So - they gonna be game?  I mean - they might not stand a chance against a few of our players ;)  But hey - who knows  ;D

Anyway - let us know on that.

If the halo guys mess around and just never show [Similar to how the Naruto guys never ever ever showed up after all their complaining about not having tournaments...]  Then I'll just expand the Smash tournament.  Right now there's a question on if we can actually handle both 1v1 double elim, and Team double elim - and if we want to do double elim - we might have to choose one format or the other - and which should we go with...  We might decide ahead of time, or do a vote at the tournament - we'll see.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Davvol

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 04:53:16 pm »
I should be able to make the first part of the tournament, but I work on Sun night, so I'll probably have to leave early.  I can, of course, assist in harware and running the tournament, if you want, but just keep in mind that I'll have to leave around 2300 at the latest.  As long as someone will be responsible for gathering my stuff, I don't mind leaving it.  I can provide my TV (and I still have that one of yours), 2 xboxes, about 8 controllers, but I don't own any copies of the game.  Gimme a shout if you have any questions about anything.

Offline Hollywood

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 06:18:44 am »

Right now there's a question on if we can actually handle both 1v1 double elim, and Team double elim - and if we want to do double elim - we might have to choose one format or the other - and which should we go with...  We might decide ahead of time, or do a vote at the tournament - we'll see.

X A

Well, if we are starting any kind of vote NOW, I would say team, double elim w/3 lives OR we just pop on 5 lives and do single elim on both maybe? Or ♥♥♥♥♥, 3 lives I think we would be cool either way.

Eh. But DEF team battles = me unstoppable.
O_-  Hollywood  -_O

Gamertag = iDubya

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 04:45:06 pm »

Maybe I should reconsider halo all together.

In the last 2 weeks, like maybe 8 registered members have visited the site.

Now - it's true, people that are interested could be looking and not registered / logged in.  But it kinda discourages me on the whole hoping they care. 

The smash players care - should I just cancel Halo and do a double Smash tourny again - 1v1 and Teams?  This is what I'm considering right now at least.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Hollywood

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 07:03:57 am »

Maybe I should reconsider halo all together.

X A

Maybe so. Only Spiky has said something about the Halo equipment, and if the Halo players are really interested they should be willing to partake in the setup process and show us there is support and not just usage. Seeing as Spiky is a close friend of ours we KNOW he is in it for the long hall... everyone else willing to USE, should be willing to SUPPORT.

Also HALO players. If you assist with equipment you will get a free entry fee waive [Only for the tourney you bring equip for] so offer your Xbox, game, TV, VCR [recording is always a plus] and get the fee waived, I mean the free challenging opponents you get to face could NEVER hurt you.

We know Smash will run well, so lets see how that goes.
::Sheild Spike you::
:o
O_-  Hollywood  -_O

Gamertag = iDubya

CornBurner

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 10:22:52 am »
I will definately attend the halo 2 tournament -- and I'll bring several friends.

So PLEASE dont cancel the halo 2 part of the tournament... you don't want to see a grown man cry do you? :'(

Anyways, I can supply 3-4 xboxes and 2 televisions (along with 4 or 5 controllers). I also have a 24 port hub! I have 4 LAN cables that I could bring as well.

And please don't use modded xboxs for a tournament (or third party controllers). I foresee that being a disaster...  :P

CornBurner

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 12:03:51 pm »

Halo 2 tourny idea: Single elimination  - team slayer  (teams of three of four?) 

Tremor

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 02:34:29 pm »
As someone who has been in many a halo 2 tournament I say that we do doubles.  It is much easier to put together.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 03:45:47 pm »
Doubles - so 2v2?  I'm up for just about anything - if we can stick within our time constraints...

Let's assume we have 20 people show up.  What would be the best way to stay in a 2 to 3 hour timeslot?  At this rate it looks like we might have to do just one style of gaming for the smash tourny, unless we have some serious hardware presense, so I'm just trying to lock down what to do for Halo as well... 

We've got 4 tables.  If we use 3 for halo, and 1 for smash, I guess anything could happen.  I just want to make sure we know what's going on ahead of time heh.  3 tables, we could fit almost 4 tv's a table if we push it.  3 really not pushing it as bad.  So - 9 possible setups - that would take care of it right?!@#

SO - 2 things halo types.  I see 2 people saying they want to do this - Spikey doesn't count as he won't be around lol. 

I want posts from other people saying they actually want the Halo to happen, cause I won't do this without similar interest shown earlier for the idea, ya know?  And I need a few more hardware pledges, because the more hardware we have, the faster it will go.

If I can see responses from at least a few more Halo types - and maybe at least one or 2 more tv's and controllers from them?  Then we'll do this.  So - tell your friends.  Post.  Something.  I want to know we'll have enough hardware to pull this off quickly.  Aka, the more the better lool.  [and there's a back enterance to FH that you can directly load things off, so good times.]

Also - I'll need help / rules / yea running this.  I can man the spot of yelling / running it, but I won't know what to look for / yea.  So, CornBurner, someone / everyone state what they think is best and discuss;  eitherway be prepared to 'prep' me in the ways of how to run this thing, cause I'll be flying blind till someone does heh.

--

Smash 64 players.  I'm sorry, but for months, the Halo types have been wanting a tournament - so they got first dibs on the tables / space, then Smash came second.  [Of course, up til now, I've done nothing but REGRET that as, I've seen ZERO Halo types perking up or voicing the will to help out / show up till now.  But yea.  Anyway.] We've got about 2 or so hours to do a tournament in.  So it comes down to the ability to only really run one tournament for Smash.  So - singles - or teams.  Vote now.

I vote...  Teams.  HOWEVER - I'll be more than happy to do whatever, so don't let my vote sway you.

--

DDR - got some rules, will edit those in later. 

X A

« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 03:53:46 pm by X_A »
OKgamers.com - our goals

Tremor

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 03:53:30 pm »
Well with restraints like that it probably wouldnt hurt to do 3 v 3 for the halo2 tournament.