Author Topic: Tulsa/Jenks - Monthly Tournaments Start! - October 8th, 2006  (Read 13070 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
Re: Tulsa/Jenks - Monthly Tournaments Start! - October 8th, 2006
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 03:57:07 pm »
Well with restraints like that it probably wouldnt hurt to do 3 v 3 for the halo2 tournament.

So that's your thoughts?  My basic thing is is making both tournaments happen - between 6pm and 11pm...

So - in a way I guess we could have the Halo thing, and as that clears out, begin the smash tourny.  My biggest concerns - making everyone happy / working it out.

- SMASH PLAYERS - I need hardware help from you too - as well as showing interest and a vote on tournament style beyond Hollywood lol.  SO YEA!@#

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

CornBurner

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 04:24:05 pm »
3v3 would help wrap up the halo tourny quicker. I don't mind setting up on the floor to play (to help speed things along) as I do this every day at my own house. Single elimination is a must. Make the game types slayer (first to 30?) with a time limit to help speed things along.

Saif (sp?) - Me and Tremor (between the two of us) have enough equipment for the halo tourny. We don't mind coming early to setup everything. In fact that would be a good idea if you want to focus on setting up the other tournaments. Any chance we could meet up sometime soon (anytime?) I wouldn't mind taking a look at the place hosting the tourny to get a better idea of how much space we have to work with.

CornBurner

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 04:27:57 pm »
Oh, I also noticed a lot of people posting about halo in other threads.... (from like bixby and surrounding areas)... between them and local T-towners we should have enough for halo2... right? ???

CornBurner

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 04:42:04 pm »
Also... is it $5 per team or per person?

Offline Hollywood

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 05:15:37 pm »

- SMASH PLAYERS - I need hardware help from you too - as well as showing interest and a vote on tournament style beyond Hollywood lol.  SO YEA!@#

X A

Besides me? Thats not possible, I'm everywhere!!
The charming, cunning, and oh so good looking...
O_-  Hollywood  -_O

Looking to improve on Modern Warfare Duece!
Gamertag = iDubya

Zora

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 06:47:07 pm »
Ohhhhhmyyyyyyygoddddddddd.

I'm in for the Halo 2 tourny!

Although I'll be a bit rusty, brother let his friend borrow the XBOX and I haven't got any training in on XBOX Live.

*EDIT*

Also, I can't bring anything for the Halo tourney. Don't have the XBOX or anything, I can bring my own controller though.

I was thinking we could do like 2v2 Slayer - Default options, if we don't have enough stuff that is. Also, I would LIKE to try to take on 4 or more people at a time, if we could get that arranged. Wanna see if countless hours of xbox live has payed off.

*EDIT*

I can bring my copy of Halo 2 also.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 06:58:57 pm by Zora »

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 07:38:40 pm »

DDR - Edited.  Still looking for SMASH HELP hardware wise, and votes on what they want.  And also - DDR rules, I'll have to talk with some people and get those up.

Oh, I also noticed a lot of people posting about halo in other threads.... (from like bixby and surrounding areas)... between them and local T-towners we should have enough for halo2... right? ???

And THATS my problem.

Check it out man.  Oklahoma - seems so lazy at times.  One big problem I have, is if someone is doing something / offering, provides a way - you should at least use it right?  Well, I know Oklahoma had no way of networking gaming events and tournaments - so I provided this website, and am even putting personal time yet again into redesigning it soon heh.  I'm even throwing these Monthly Tournaments to help promote this site, and raise awareness of the gaming community in Oklahoma.  HOWEVER - if I do things for people that say they are interested, and then never show up to the site or use the site again?  Yea.  I'm not down with that lol. 

Anyway - basically - there was interest - but until they 'sign off' or state they are still interested / alive - I don't assume.  It's always a bad thing to do heh.

Anyway - I hope people will share this site with friends.  I hope people will start using it for posting up events and tournaments and once again, sharing that link.  They make a flyer, a blog post, anything - I hope this site's url gets in it.  Else - people will never hear about the site.  It'll never get caught up in the search engines.  We'll just have no more than what we started with.  I just want the site to help out.

--

Halo rules - I'm basically down for anything that keeps the time length down, and everyone is happy with.  Unfortunately, the 5$ is per person, but as I stated, alot of this will be 'first time' issues, and after this I'll hopefully have nice fully filled out responses on surveys, and know what to do for the next Halo or smash or DDR or whatever tournaments.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Savagebeating

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2006, 04:02:39 am »
eh yeah i guess i could make halo and smash and yeah....if anyones interested i can bring GNT4 and a cube or Naruto hero3 and a japanese ps2.

for halo2 if there are any team tourneys id suggest more of MLG style rules and on that note if anyone would like a 38 slayer/35 Doubleteam im available sadly im the only good kid from Edmond i know of ; ;
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 04:09:28 am by Savagebeating »

CornBurner

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2006, 01:12:43 pm »
Savage - Good idea. MLG rules would be great.

XA- I dont mind paying 5 bucks a person. Thats what I've paid in the past for tournys.

Zora

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2006, 08:57:58 pm »
Man, I'm really excited. If there isn't a Halo 2 tourny, I'll just go hit up Maximum Tune 'til I'm outta tokens.

But, if there is one, let's take it a bit more seriously than Mini-Con's "tournament".

Where you walked up there were 4 xboxs, 2 on small TVs and the other 2 being shot on to a wall. All they had was crappy Madcatz controllers, and you just walked up and started playing on someone's profile, like half the time their settings were completely different.

♥♥♥♥♥, I'll even help set it up if I have to.

Offline Hollywood

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2006, 11:02:14 pm »
Man, I'm really excited. If there isn't a Halo 2 tourny, I'll just go hit up Maximum Tune 'til I'm outta tokens.

But, if there is one, let's take it a bit more seriously than Mini-Con's "tournament".

Where you walked up there were 4 xboxs, 2 on small TVs and the other 2 being shot on to a wall. All they had was crappy Madcatz controllers, and you just walked up and started playing on someone's profile, like half the time their settings were completely different.

Nice to know of the offered assistance, but please know that it will not be like that.
/thanks
O_-  Hollywood  -_O

Gamertag = iDubya

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2006, 12:02:44 am »

Nice to know of the offered assistance, but please know that it will not be like that.
/thanks

Yea, he's right.  I run only structured logical tournaments - double or single elim, scheduled signup times, straight forward stuff.  The only reason the rules aren't up already is because Halo is not a game I play, nor know alot about what's best for this.  Sounds likes 3v3 - under - MLG rules? 

It would be good Halo types - if you could link me / give me a list of what rules are best / understood - and we'll get those worked in and finalized.

Anyway - as soon as I know what to do - we'll do it.  No un-structured crap.

I do this to promote OKgamers.com - a place for people to spread the word and share the word about things going down.  I'm finishing up the redesign for the main site as I type.  I hope that people will simply spread the word, and use this as a platform for information and help others get here to find out about it as well.  That's pretty much my only goal - to get things more organized, more networked.  Make Oklahoma a better place to game, and create more of a community mentality if possible.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Hollywood

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2006, 06:16:43 am »
Now I was curious, when "Run it [Halo 2 tourney] like MLG does." Does this mean you guys are wanting it in season format?

Where as since we are trying to get monthly tournaments set up, are you wanting Halo 2 every month and each month the winners and different ranks earn points and at the end of the season the person or persons or teams with the most points win a prize?

I saw Championship Gamings televised tournament and they just ran 1v1 slayer on "Ascension" or "Lockout". Winner would either win by first reaching 10 kills or having the most kills after 10 minutes. It was also single elim and suicide of coarse deducted a kill from your own.

I think with Halo, it would be a lot easier to do it that way, 1v1 slayer type, instead of 3v3. The only problem I have with 3v3 are people. To have a legit tournament we would want at least 8 teams [IMHO] which is then at least 24 people who have come for a team fight.  Thats assuming people are out there have two other people they would be willing to team with, or find on the forums, or whatever.

But time would be the only problem with 1v1. Lets assume 16 people show up, we run two matches at a time so that cuts our time in half [not to mention how much better it would be if we run 3 or maybe 4 at a time]

Round X: #matches /by # of matchs at the same time = Y * max length of match(10min) = max length of time allowed to finish round.

Round 1:     8 matches     / 2 = 4 * 10 =           40  minutes total    [ 60 assumed length ]
Round2:     4 matches     /  2 = 2 * 10 =           20  minutes total    [ 30 assumed length ]
Round3:     2 matches     /  2 = 1 * 10 =           10 minutes total      [ 20 assumed length ]
Round4:     1 matche       /  1 = 1 * 10 =           10 minutes total.

Even double the number of players can work esp if we  get TVs and platform double as well. If we have brackets set up prior [which we will] and we assume every match lasts 10 minutes, we shouldn't have but a few minutes of gap between that [not 40 minutes worth of dead time between] with players and opponents at the ready.

If to many people show we can easily drop it to 1v1 slayer, first to 5 kills or most in 5 minutes.

3v3 would totally speed things up, but I guess it depends on people turn out and participation in general.

Thats my only concern. Can it be done? Yes. Do we have a will to do it? Yes. But are there enough people willing to go through with it? Thats what we are looking for.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 06:59:47 am by Hollywood »
O_-  Hollywood  -_O

Gamertag = iDubya

CornBurner

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 01:19:50 pm »
Now I was curious, when "Run it [Halo 2 tourney] like MLG does." Does this mean you guys are wanting it in season format?

Where as since we are trying to get monthly tournaments set up, are you wanting Halo 2 every month and each month the winners and different ranks earn points and at the end of the season the person or persons or teams with the most points win a prize?

I saw Championship Gamings televised tournament and they just ran 1v1 slayer on "Ascension" or "Lockout". Winner would either win by first reaching 10 kills or having the most kills after 10 minutes. It was also single elim and suicide of coarse deducted a kill from your own.

I think with Halo, it would be a lot easier to do it that way, 1v1 slayer type, instead of 3v3. The only problem I have with 3v3 are people. To have a legit tournament we would want at least 8 teams [IMHO] which is then at least 24 people who have come for a team fight.  Thats assuming people are out there have two other people they would be willing to team with, or find on the forums, or whatever.

But time would be the only problem with 1v1. Lets assume 16 people show up, we run two matches at a time so that cuts our time in half [not to mention how much better it would be if we run 3 or maybe 4 at a time]

Round X: #matches /by # of matchs at the same time = Y * max length of match(10min) = max length of time allowed to finish round.

Round 1:     8 matches     / 2 = 4 * 10 =           40  minutes total    [ 60 assumed length ]
Round2:     4 matches     /  2 = 2 * 10 =           20  minutes total    [ 30 assumed length ]
Round3:     2 matches     /  2 = 1 * 10 =           10 minutes total      [ 20 assumed length ]
Round4:     1 matche       /  1 = 1 * 10 =           10 minutes total.

Even double the number of players can work esp if we  get TVs and platform double as well. If we have brackets set up prior [which we will] and we assume every match lasts 10 minutes, we shouldn't have but a few minutes of gap between that [not 40 minutes worth of dead time between] with players and opponents at the ready.

If to many people show we can easily drop it to 1v1 slayer, first to 5 kills or most in 5 minutes.

3v3 would totally speed things up, but I guess it depends on people turn out and participation in general.

Thats my only concern. Can it be done? Yes. Do we have a will to do it? Yes. But are there enough people willing to go through with it? Thats what we are looking for.
Big fat "NO" to the seasonal stuff. Just make the style of gameplay MLG. Screw the point system. Lets just make it a show-up, play, take home your prize kinda thing.

Another big fat "NO" towards the 1v1 idea. If we don't have enough teams [people] for a decent tournament then lets just make it a free for all, or even better make it 2v2! Ever wonder why they took 1v1 out of the playlist for H2 on xbox live? They did it with good reason.

If you are really worried about time Free For All is the quickest way.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2006, 03:34:46 pm »

What Hollywood and I have looked into [not having all that much experience but just trying to MAKE a call so we can decide ;)] was

single elim, 2v2 or 3v3 first to X? kills, or 10 minutes.

That way, if we had 24 to even 32 people show up just for halo - we'd be able to handle it.

--

So - sound good?  Halo - is in imo.  We just need to figure out what's up here - and go from there.

Later this week I'll be trying to get some flyers designed, and put up at Funhouse / around town.  The printable file will be available online - so hopefully between those 2 sources, you guys can help spread the word even more!

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals