Author Topic: Norman - OHSNAP3, Largest SSBM tournament in OK yet - 8/11/07  (Read 4191 times)

Gravity

OHSNAP3: Oklahoma Hosts Smash, need a pummeling?
First off, the official thread is here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=102997

Everything is still up in the air, however professional competitive players from many states are planning on coming. First prize is expected to be several hundred dollars. payouts will be 60%, 30%, 10% for top 3 placers.

This event will more then likely be a two day thing, one of the days holding 1v1 and 2v2, the other having low tier and crew matches.

Expected date is early august, official date is still unknown. Most probable dates are either August 4-5 or August 11-12. Venue will probably be in OKC. There WILL be an entry fee, probably $10-$15 for BOTH 1v1 AND 2v2. of course you dont have to enter both... low tier may or may not.

As far as rules go, probably the MLG ruleset...here is a link: http://www.mlgpro.com/?q=node/43964

with the addition of a certain infinite technique being banned; "The Wobbles" i doubt non professional smash players are aware of this, and its not something you can do by accident so dont worry...if i forgot to add anything or theres any questions feel free to ask.

-edit- I almost forgot, we are always in need of setups (TVs, Gamecubes, copies of smash, and memory cards) If you can bring any part of this say so.

One more thing! The golden rule of smash: BYOC. Bring your own controller.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 01:00:44 pm by X_A »

Offline Vegafuse

• Familiar Face
    • View Profile
Re: OHSNAP3 - Largest smash tournament in OK yet.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 10:26:19 pm »
Hey, count me in ^_^ This tournament may just be the biggest SSBM event ever in Oklahoma, and I definitely don't want to miss out. Looks like Texas, Kansas, Arkansas, and maybe even Colorado are interested in going as well.

Any Tulsa players going? Micah? Undead_Penguin? Frenli Phyre? Tdizzle? XA's Crew?

Also, I might have a set-up for Streetfighter casual play for the SRKers...

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 03:18:13 pm »

This sounds great!  I can't wait till you guys get a time locked down, and we can move it into the tournaments area heh.  [ thanks for posting it here, you know, actually USING the site properly ;) ]

Anyway - as for me - I'd love to go if I could get a ride - but the 4th is a family reunion for me, and Minicon [probably will be helping with gaming].  The 12th is our second sunday tournament date -_-  So yea, both weekends are out for me leaving the city -_-

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Typ_EX

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 02:30:54 pm »
I should be in norman by the time this happens.  However, I am not going to pay to lose.  I have improved a bit but I bet Dokkoise would still own me (may take 30 minutes to get used to me instead of the hour it took last time).  I may come to be in awe about how good people in oklahoma are.  As for actual playing, I think i shall just continue to dominate in tulsa until OU starts session again.

SP

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 11:56:24 am »
OHSNAP3 is probably going to be my last tournament... but make no mistake, ill make it worth it...

So... all of you lazy people in tulsa need to get your glutteous's to Norman this saturday... as any competitive gamer that has done ANY traveling for gaming will tell you (including Saif and myself) the travel time and the money is ALWAYS worth it, even if you don't do well in a tournament (i've never won money outside of oklahoma or kansas in tourney)... but you ALWAYS have a good time... there is NOTHING like meeting new people that play the game, and i dont know about solcal, tekken, mvc or halo... but the smash community is AMAZING, you will rarely meet a smasher you don't like and can't have a hella good time with.

Even if you're not that good, it doesn't matter, you'll get better from the tournament itself, and you can always sit down and play with someone like me and they'll tell you pretty much anything, including their secrets... because..well, we dont mind... we'd rather see a new good player emerge than yet another peach or shiek that only knows how to use c-stick and stupid moves...

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »
First off - WHEN DID THIS UPGRADE TO A TOURNAMENT!~@  If I KNEW THAT / we had times and location - we can edit it / move it to the tournament forum!@#

SECOND OFF - anyone from Tulsa going and can get me back here that evening?  [We've got the Sunday tournaments for OKg, so I need to make it back Saturday late night...  I *MIGHT* even be able to make it down in the morning... BUT would need a ride back, so YEA!@#]

So - Tulsa / this area types - if you've got a X A sized spot, LET ME KNWO!@#

Third - SP NOOOO DONT LEAVE NOOO!@#

--

Fourth:  Travelling Experience

It's true.  If your SERIOUS about your game, you may TRIPLE your experience on any given long trip.  If nothing else, you also meet great people, and have a REASON to travel again, etc.  Trust me - travelling is worth every penny.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 01:00:03 pm »

A - I'm moving this into the tournaments area

B - I'm editing the title to be proper -_-

C - I'm GOING@!#  SP is going to give me a ride down and back for gas money, so w00t and such!@#  SEE YOU GUYS THERE!

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Typ_EX

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Norman - OHSNAP3, Largest SSBM tournament in OK yet - 8/11/07
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 10:15:20 pm »
Lucky.  When you come back for the sunday tourney and me and my brother will probably take 1st, tell me how terrible i am haha.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 03:16:07 pm »
Lucky.  When you come back for the sunday tourney and me and my brother will probably take 1st, tell me how terrible i am haha.

Haha, who says someone like SP won't show up and own you ;)

Anyway - we'll see you Friday, then Sunday - lol what a smash weekend this is >_<

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Typ_EX

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 03:46:02 pm »
I thought SP said OHSNAP would be his last tourney.

Haha, who says someone like SP won't show up and own you ;)

Anyway - we'll see you Friday, then Sunday - lol what a smash weekend this is >_<

X A

Offline Zinth

• Familiar Face
  • Dancing Mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 10:24:42 am »
Woo, OHSNAP3. Oklahoma finally beat Dallas, KOS-MOS is too good. Wobbles may have won, but hey, he identifies with Arizona, and the battle with them has only just begun ;)

For a bit of history, Dallas showed up to our first OHSNAP tournament and beat all of us soundly. At OHSNAP2, they left before singles began, but still defeated us in teams. Now, however, Oklahoma has turned the tables and finally defeated Dallas. As for Arizona... like Dallas, its days are numbered.

Nice meeting you there X_A, and nice SSB game, even though you owned me, lol. I don't practice it, but that's kind of why I like playing it, since that leaves me to improvise, which I find fun and challenging.

xFr3nLixPhYr3x, he said somelike like SP. Who says I won't ever be able to make it up there to one of the Tulsa monthlies? ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 10:31:00 am by Zinth »
*_.-:[Zinth]:-._*

Offline po pimpus

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 06:29:16 pm »
Hey, yo! It's the one and only, Po Pimpus! Just posting to say hello...I finally got an account here.

So anywhos... big props to X_A for coming and supporting us Smashers in OKC! Really cool dude, awesome Samus in old-shcool SSB, nice goatee... Yeah.

Okay, we finally defeated our rivals to the south, and earned a bit of respect. KOS-MOS is too good!

Here's my Youtube page: http://youtube.com/profile?user=popimpus

Go there for some OHSNAP goodness. I believe Zinth has vids as well, but I don't remember his link...
Also, I plan on visiting Tulsa someday soon for one of those monthlies... REAL SOON... X_A, I want revenge in SSB!
Samus ain't got nothing on Pink Luigi!

I'll be posting here somewhat often, so keep a look out for the 'Pimpest Luigi'...