Author Topic: Norman, OK - Oklahoma State Championship '07 - 3S, SSBM, & more. - 11/17/07  (Read 11167 times)

chibit89

*********************Cost and times updated!**********************

The intro: 

Every year, us Oklahoma kids put away the cattle and get together to declare the best video game fighter every fall.  This year, it's no different except and we invite all the SOUTHWEST to challenge and declare the best in OK.  Make no mistake, minus the ranches and farms, we're bad mamma jammas at fighting games.  Also, if you don't want to compete, this event will be huge so its guaranteed to be fun casual gaming!  so... test your skills at:

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"] Oklahoma State Championship  of '07!!!!![/FONT]

Date:    Saturday, November 17, 2007

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 04:36:36 pm by chibit89 »

chibit89

no one interested?  everyone else is! 

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
Fair warning - like 10% of our viewing crowd post.  Seriously, I have the stats to prove it.

People read.  People show up, it's kinda crazy like that.  (Tonights GH tournament had like 3 or 4 people who said they heard about the event from the site, never signed up for a account / posted.  Oi, dunno man, just dunno lol.)

X A

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 02:50:34 am by X_A »
Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Typ_EX

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
one dollar to just walk in and watch...really?

hozanto

Count me out this year.  I have too many things going on and I haven't played against anyone in ST in well over a year.  Hopefully the new port for XBOX LIVE will drum up interest (and not be a lag fest). 

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile

I like the idea.

Bars have cover charge.

Concerts have a price you pay to go in and enjoy.

Movies cost like 20$ and all you do is sit in a seat.

I'm not saying I'll personally start doing that, but in a venue that has a large fee, why not?  If it helps offset the costs for people, and it's like 1 cent more than 99cents?  I'd say more power to him.

(This of course coming from a person that KNOWS the hassle, drama, and stress that goes into setting up an event, and to have to pay for a venue outta your own pocket at the end on top of all that?  No good.  If a 1$ a viewer helps an event happen, then I say charge it.)

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Typ_EX

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
All I am saying is that you have to attract the people beforehand before they decide its worth it.  When it comes to concerts you probably heard the musicians/bands on the radio.  And for the movies there are previews.  You expect these things to be good.  Not having been in a bar, I won't say anything.  However, if I had to pay to go in a bar and not drink, I probably won't be going into bars.

I like the idea.

Bars have cover charge.

Concerts have a price you pay to go in and enjoy.

Movies cost like 20$ and all you do is sit in a seat.

I'm not saying I'll personally start doing that, but in a venue that has a large fee, why not?  If it helps offset the costs for people, and it's like 1 cent more than 99cents?  I'd say more power to him.

(This of course coming from a person that KNOWS the hassle, drama, and stress that goes into setting up an event, and to have to pay for a venue outta your own pocket at the end on top of all that?  No good.  If a 1$ a viewer helps an event happen, then I say charge it.)

X A

chibit89

if you think im making money off  this... whew, dont think about going into the running video game business!  hah, it cost money to rent a room at OU and i'd like not to be the one who pays for it, dont you agree?

also, XA is right, alot of work goes into this and the event hoster does deserve some accomodation.  Unfortunately, I'm a nice guy and I'm doing it to hype the scene.  Also, this is kind of a tradition thing... so why not?  its really fun stuff, so i encourage all to come... its like our oklahoma's own EVO.

also, this is the first year, ssbm is introduced to this tourney, so the gathering of two crowds... should be interesting!

all in all, this is OK's biggest and more serious fighting game event, i can guarantee you that.  if you like SF or anything on the list, you'll see some top tier level play... something you cant catch at any regular joe schmoe's get togehter.

-chibi

Offline Typ_EX

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
Sorry, I thought you were an OU student or even worse, in an Ou club, so prices would go down drastically to rent a room.  Why didn't you just try to find an OU studnet?

if you think im making money off  this... whew, dont think about going into the running video game business!  hah, it cost money to rent a room at OU and i'd like not to be the one who pays for it, dont you agree?

also, XA is right, alot of work goes into this and the event hoster does deserve some accomodation.  Unfortunately, I'm a nice guy and I'm doing it to hype the scene.  Also, this is kind of a tradition thing... so why not?  its really fun stuff, so i encourage all to come... its like our oklahoma's own EVO.

also, this is the first year, ssbm is introduced to this tourney, so the gathering of two crowds... should be interesting!

all in all, this is OK's biggest and more serious fighting game event, i can guarantee you that.  if you like SF or anything on the list, you'll see some top tier level play... something you cant catch at any regular joe schmoe's get togehter.

-chibi

chibit89

hah, another misconception.... not any ol' full time student at OU can rent a room.  You have to be an officer of an official OU club to even get a discount.  trust me, i've looked into all options.  hotels, conference rooms, etc....

also, equipment wise, this encourages people to bring stuff and keep their word.  all in all, this is the best choice considering we need alot of room and trust me when I say this is in no way for financial profit.  thanks for the suggestions though!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 01:16:15 pm by chibit89 »

Offline Typ_EX

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
If you were an officer of an official club it would be more discounted from the webpage you supplied us.

chibit89

my bad, i meant officers get more of a discount than student and students dont exactly get a room for free.  either way, alot of work is going into this event and $1.00 is not much at all to contribute. 

XA, i need some help on some video stuff, it turns out there is a demand to record the final 8 matches (or at least the finals) and post them online (to .avi)  any advice?  do you or anyone coming know how to work this stuff?  thanks!

SP

XA, i need some help on some video stuff, it turns out there is a demand to record the final 8 matches (or at least the finals) and post them online (to .avi)  any advice?  do you or anyone coming know how to work this stuff?  thanks!

The best I can tell you is Zinth or Po Pimpus for recordings... But I have to warn you that it will be with a hand held camera instead of straight from the console... the only two guys with that capability that I know (myself and hazygoose) moved like a million miles away =P

I know this thread doesn't exactly have a lot of hype as far as who all has said they'd go... but since it's in norman, you're gauranteed at least 6 or 7 of oklahoma's finest to show up

Coolsvilla

I can't believe you guys are complaining. A $1 venue fee? $5 game fee? That's so ridiculously cheap. I'm leaving for a tournament next weekend and on top of shelling out $400 for my plane ticket, it's $15 venue fee and $25 for the game I'm going to play. I think that you're making way too much fuss over a dollar. What else are you going to do with it? Go to McDonald's and get a burger? With tax it'll be more than $1.
Even if you're going in to just watch, there isn't anything wrong with that.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile

Cool's is totally right on this imo.  And cheapness gets gamers less events on some levels I fear...

...anyway.  I've done EXACTLY what she describes, multiple times.  (usually driving not flying, but still :) )

If your poor - it happens!  But to think all gamers are poor, or to try and get a venue to not charge a CHEAP 1$ admission, is kinda counter productive.  If they need to charge - they are.  If you support it, more will happen.  If you don't think it's worth it - don't go.  :)

This sort of deal though?  I think is AWESOME - and I hope I can go.  (At this point it's my lack of reliable car, not 1$ entry that stops me :))

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals