Author Topic: MLG Is Spreading their Disease even more.....  (Read 3409 times)

xX_Raider_Xx

MLG Is Spreading their Disease even more.....
« on: January 16, 2008, 02:59:54 pm »
MLG just signed an agreement with ESPN for advertisment for both companies and even more. ESPN will be at all the LIVE Tournaments in the 08 season. So dont be suprised if you looking for the scores of last nights game and then you see walshy or Karma etc... on ESPN.

slipknot0129

Re: MLG Is Spreading their Disease even more.....
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 01:13:10 pm »
ESPN 8 ("The Ocho"): "If it's almost a sport, we've got it!"

BunnyXkicker

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 11:51:56 am »
lol, i like that!

Offline TH3 R3LIGION

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • No XBL FR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 10:59:49 pm »
This is a great thing for gaming it gets it to a main stream channel and off of G4 which most people dont even know they have
DO NOT SEND ME A FR UNLESS I KNOW YOU PERSONALLY

SEMI-PROS ARE HORRIBAD

Offline Pinkie

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 07:57:03 am »
It is a good step to getting gamers recognized and gets gamers better coverage of the tournaments and everything else without having to use the internet. However, it just means more sponsors, more money, and more guys playing who don't care about the games but just want the money.

Coolsvilla

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 02:07:59 pm »
Unfortunately, you see that whenever a game is competative- not just because of this new development. I see people on the DOAC boards talking about how they're new at the game and they used to play CS but now they want to play DOA for CGS. It's like they think the game is easier or something. ::) You're always going to get people who play the game for the money. I agree that definitely isn't the reason that you should play but I suppose it's the case of "to each their own."

I think that this may a good step for MLG to take. Not that I watch any of those channels but I must admit, even as a member of PMS and an avid gamer, I still don't know much about MLG (I know that their site should be a place to visit but, last time I swallowed my hatred for MLG and went, I couldn't look at anything without making an account; I don't want an MLG account to look at information -_-). I don't even know what games are played beside Halo. Not that I want to know but if it's not advertising itself properly, it's not going to be able to reach it's goals (of becoming a league, I suppose). This new outlet will mean that a new audience may be drawn in and gaming gets the attention that it need to.

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: eighty8keyes
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 04:36:07 pm »
Remember playing Mario and Duck Hunt? Those were the days. To be honest I don't see competitive gaming as that lucrative (unless your a corporation that is sponsoring it). I would never base a career on something that could turn around and drop you in the end. Same goes for Actors and Musicians, but they are paid in the 100's of thousand and millions range, so being smart with their finances they can fall back on, but professional gaming? Even if someone was a "pro" for 5-8 years, which is a VERY liberal estimate, what are you going to do afterwards? Say you started at 20. By the time you get out your 25-28, that's a good chunk of your life that could have been spent going to school, building a lasting career, starting a family or whatever. I don't know honestly, I guess it's appealing to some, but not very secure in my eyes.
GT: Eighty8keyes Haloez and anything else I might be playing.

SkizsM420

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 05:03:56 pm »
I agree with you Rislone.  I would pretty much challenge anyone to name 1 person who has been a pro gamer(ONLY) for any period of time and made more than enough money to live on for the period in which they were gaming for money.  I can say with 99.99999% that noone out there has ever built up a life savings/paid for a house or anything like that with gaming alone.  Being a "pro" gamer sounds great until you start thinking about it, but so did communism, right?

xX_Raider_Xx

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 03:09:11 pm »
Walshy. Thats the guy that can live off of gaming. He has a T-shirt company too but he has made enough money to last his lifetime if spent wisely. And if your like Shockwave you juggle school and Gaming because you know that gaming wont get you anywhere for life, just the time when you are a pro gamer. So he is getting a Education for a career wile being a pro gamer which is what i plan on doing if i go pro.

And coolsvilla, MLG has Gears of War, Halo 3, Rainbow Six: Vegas, ShadowRun, and hopefully CoD4. They also do separate Tourneys for SSBM and soon SSBB when it is released.

Coolsvilla

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 03:22:50 pm »
Oh Fatality makes a lot too. He just doesn't buy a home or anything because, from what I gathered from talking to him, he isn't home that much at all so why buy one? lol Plus, after being a professional gamer, if you plan correctly and are sucessful when you were gaming, other doors will open for you and you will be able to still work in the gaming industry but in a more solid job (announcing, jobs with the league, etc).

Thanks, Raider. I'm not a big fan of MLG so I've never really paid attention to them. >_< lol

xX_Raider_Xx

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 10:28:16 am »
No problem i love spreading MLG's Disease that you get when you go to your first tournament. lol. I am a huge fan of MLG and Competitive gaming period. I think that MLG has made some of the biggest steps for gamers in a long time.

Oh and another thing Cools, Making an account to look at stuff on MLG is definatly worth it. haha. Check out the forums, there is some good stuff on there.

Coolsvilla

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 10:36:41 am »
lol I'll just stick with CGS, seeing as MLG doesn't carry any games I'm interested in. I <3 my team. ^^

slipknot0129

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 09:31:54 pm »
video games as a sport is a joke in itself

atleast not a spectator sport
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:39:43 pm by slipknot0129 »