Author Topic: Official OKgamers SSBB rules - discussion on final settings  (Read 4186 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
Official OKgamers SSBB rules - discussion on final settings
« on: September 08, 2008, 03:28:51 am »

This is the official rule-list from the community -
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187735

It's set up as a boiler plate to get us going, with a few final decisions 'falling to the organizer'.  Well, I suggest we just finalize how we in OK would prefer it to go, and have that as our official thread, link to it in threads, and be done with it.  That way anyone involved with OKgamers events can have the right rules, and we can have easy accessiblity.

THINGS TO BE DISCUSSED:

Stage Lists
TOs must move stages from the starter/counterpick into either the starter or counterpick categories and must move stages from counterpick/banned into either the counterpick or banned categories.

Stages in the Starter/Counter and Counter/Banned list did not receive 2/3 majority, and therefore you are given the option to put those stages in either category, as we did not come to a consensus on it.

The SBR Recommended rule list uses the stage striking system. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set. There must be an odd number of starter stages.

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Starter/Counter
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pok
Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Tatsu

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: PSI Tatsuman
Re: Official OKgamers SSBB rules - discussion on final settings
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 04:06:28 am »
STAGES
Starter
Lylat Cruise

Counter
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Pok

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 04:15:05 am »

When it comes to optional rules - I'm thinking about space here.  I would prefer to take this list, organize it into one 'printable sheet' - and put it on the resource section on the site.  Thus, I'm trying to avoid ALL the extra rules, because frankly, there's only so much space on a page.

As for the Bowser thing - I'm not trying to create rules outside of the communities support.  Thus I'd prefer to stick to whatever they say is law, and go from there on whatever they leave up to us.  Perhaps it's an avoided topic because you can control it depending on life level? Dunno.  Still, would prefer to stick with what they've given, as they are the trusted word of the community - and well, we aren't interested in deviating from running official rules for a game based on what the community says.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Tatsu

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 04:24:00 am »
Ah. Of course.
My bad, wasn't thinking space.

Overtime rule is the only one that is really needed. Mostly because Sudden Death is incredibly unbalanced. Sorry if that's a bit of a pain, but I think it's necessary.

The Bowser exemption part of the rule still bugs me, but going with it would smooth things out more. I suppose that's the point anyway.

Offline PhLo

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 08:19:03 am »
Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counter
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Pok
Formerly Stilly Crew.

ssbm addict 07

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 08:20:52 pm »
Starting stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
PK Stadium 1

If thought about as a set unit along with the striking system, neither person should end up on a stage they don't want to be on. Just strike the 4 you don't want to go to... your opponent does the same. We don't want the match of Toon Link vs Ganon on FD. No person should be forced into a counterpick worthy situation on their initial match(the supposedly fair one). Characters that need to use "autocancelled" moves like ganon's dair can strike things like yoshi island and Lylat Cruise. Against Dedede and others that can chain grab effectively, striking Castle Siege and Delfino would be an option. The transforming stages have quite a bit of balance to them however. Even Dedede is disadvantaged if he ever needs to use his upb on the wide island water situations... he also doesn't have a spike to take advantage of the water, while being a large target himself. The stages that you can go up through also add something to the neutral list that wasn't there before, and don't allow stage spiking. Allowing for the 4 extra stages that weren't thought of as neutrals before adds options and strategy for striking. But nobody HAS to play on them, you only play them when you think they offer no effect on the match.

If just the original 5 neutrals (one that includes Lylat) were used, "autocancelling"-heavy characters would forced between striking against spam or against their move set. Overall, the 9 add a more balanced picking procedure for more characters and stray from a counterpick first match just a bit farther.

Counter List: Leave all in Counter list, If any from the counter/ban list pick Onett.

Notes:
Jungle Japes: It does its job as a counterpick. Great for those with horizontal recoveries and projectiles. If on the left side of the stage falco's chain into spike could be disadvantageous.... but that would depend on character. You can also choose to go into the water as a transportation method if you are getting edgeguarded/hogged. The one ban you get after the first match could be used here if need be.

Pictochat: none of the hazards damage too much. The transitions add quite a bit of strategy including faster ways to kill/damage. None of them kill too low, though... so it isn't the same issue as say the cars on aero.

We aren't really here to ban things that are already on the confirmed counter list...

Offline Tatsu

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:42:12 pm »
To strike off things in that manner is against the current standard. X_A already stated that he didn't want to do that, or I'd still be pushing the suicide rule.

Besides, who in their right mind picks Ganon against Toonz in the first place? o.o

ssbm addict 07

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 01:16:32 am »
Against the current standard? Its written into the backroom rule set... And is the best way, imo, to get a good stage for either character on the starting match. Read the rules on the original forum page for clarification, though i believe X_A has most of them posted here. It is a "recommended" rule set... but they didn't recommend random things for no reason.

The main reason for the bowser suicide exemption is that it is controller port sensitive. Hence, any character with a higher controller port number than the bowser will lose, but if higher it goes to sudden death. This isn't the same with others characters. A friend of mine that used bowser in the last tourney I went to of X_A's nearly ran to the system to get the first controller port. In the event that its a bowser ditto, the bowser with the first controller port has a very good advantage without this rule. Ganon, Dedede, and Kirby suicides will have to stay the way they are. Its more generally used as a gimp from stock getting a stock ahead anyway. I'm not even too sure about who dies first in some of the other circumstances with those three to be honest. But it seems they weren't controller port sensitive, or it would probably apply to them as well.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 05:37:54 pm »

A - I need to get a final word on this stuff.  I guess I can put together what I'm seeing here, and always update after this tournament. 

B - tomorrow I'm planning on putting together a printable pdf for this so I can have the rules for smash - AT THE STATIONS.  Thus the whole reason I wanted to get this info together, etc.  It can be a resource for tournament organizers in OK, etc.  Anyway - please make sure I've got all the info I need to be concerned about on this thread covered properly - you guys are the community and attached to smash, now that SC's out - I'm kinda outta the loop :)

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline PhLo

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 09:57:41 am »
The ruleset used at tulsa worked well, saif. Good call, imo
Formerly Stilly Crew.

Offline Tatsu

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 05:24:05 pm »
Same. The Funhouse RuleSet worked very well, in my opinion.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 12:07:39 am »

K, well I guess I'll go ahead and post it as a resource in the next day or so then.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals