Author Topic: OKgamers FLYERS - how to get them in a store near you...  (Read 9780 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
OKgamers FLYERS - how to get them in a store near you...
« on: August 05, 2008, 05:36:26 pm »

Let's face it - flyers are one of THE number one reasons people find out about the site.  Our current style of flyers are featured in our media section as a downloadable and printable flyer.  If your interested in printing some out, that's where you can find them.

Also, keep in mind myself, DarkWraith - head of Street Crew efforts, and TH3 R3ligion down in OKC - all have at least a small stockpile of flyers at all times.  We had some donated to us by Tokyo in Tulsa, and they are looking to do it again - so we will have some more in a bit.

FLYERS - HOW DO WE GET THEM IN STORES:

Quite simply?  We ask.  Remember the average clerk isn't going to have the authority to authorize them, but going to the manager on duty and simply asking? Can't hurt.  If you review the street crew resources thread there is more details on stores in Tulsa and OKC that will and won't accept our flyers.  Keep in mind - CHAINS - like Wal-mart, Best Buy, etc - will have established "NO FLYER" rules - and that's just life.  However, smaller chains, and well just cool ones like Game Stop - will allow it to be a regional and district call, and even sometimes a store call.  SO - what we do is simply ask for permission to leave a few.  If we find out they stuck around, we replenish them, and thank them every time.  If you want to see OKgamers improve - we'll need to get as many gamers and businesses aware of us!  Flyers in key businesses are definitely a way to do that!

For the record - all Tulsa locations are "officially approved to have those flyers" - with the stores managers consent.  So - if they say it's fine - then leave them a stack!

HOW YOU CAN HELP:

Keep a few in your car, and when you hit a store that is gaming related, simply ask for the manager on duty or owner.  When you know your talking to someone that can make the call, you explain the site as it is - a site for gamers in the Oklahoma area that networks and helps gamers, and ask to put flyers there to promote the site.  No - we don't align with any particular store or business - but we offer help to any business wanting it, and the site is free for anyone to post about their event! 

INTENSE QUESTIONS?

We know not everyone is plugged into OKgamers as much as staff, etc.  So - if you get over-taken with questions simply give them a flyer, and tell them to 'hit the contact form on the site for answers'.  It goes to staff, and we respond fairly promptly!  Don't worry about not having an answer - knowing where to go is the next best thing!

BE PREPARED FOR REJECTION:

Just because we have a great cause, doesn't mean everyone can support it.  First off, there are PLENTY of conventions, festivals, etc - that bug these stores.  Realize - you may be the third person TODAY that has asked them - so if they reject you, don't take it personally, or lose your cool - just remember it's their right, and thank them for their time graciously.

In fact? How you handle being turned down can often turn into them rethinking their response right then, or the next time someone asks.  REMEMBER - business owners are BUSY PEOPLE - respect them, and remember they don't have to do anything for anyone - :)

TAKING OWNERSHIP OF OKGAMERS.COM:

I'm just a gamer.  Rislone, R3ligion, Darkwraith, etc.  All gamers.  We don't get paid for this, but we've taken such 'ownership' because we want to see Oklahoma improve - and this is a force to do that.  The OKgamers movement has gained speed over the last few years, and is getting alot of respect - but it can only continue as gamers like yourself take up ownership as well.  This is a GAMERS site.  A site for gamers - in the Oklahoma area.  Be proud of that - and share as you wish.  Don't go over board and lie about anything or make us bigger than we are - but be excited about the site?  ...and people will notice.

It's a free site - so we don't generate any funds to pay for commercials, etc.  But one excited gamer exclaiming how the site has helped them?  Is worth it's weight in TV ads.  Seriously - you showing you care and that the site helps? Is worth more "PR" than any agency could cook up.

If gamers on the site get together, we see change.  If we network and know about more events - more events are naturally going to happen.  The more we combine forces and talk about the site - the more people find out about it, use it, and improve Oklahoma for gamers like us.  You want more events?  Let people know there is a site to get the word out in the first place, and things fall into place.  You want more competition?  It's the same - network through OKgamers and we'll all see the improvement.  It's a great concept, and a growing site - and we appreciate those that help! 

When gamers really take ownership of their own cities and communities through a site like OKgamers? Gamers spread the word to each other.  Businesses finally know how to find gamers, and throw more events with us in the know. 

Everyone wins.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: furyswrath
  • XBL ID: furyswrath
Re: OKgamers FLYERS - how to get them in a store near you...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 08:06:43 pm »
X A.

Has anyone looked into Twitter, Pownce, something like that for notifications.  There are alot of new IM programs out there at support Twitter and Pownce.   These Social Networking sites are like Instant Message Blogs  Is about the best way I can describe it.  Like I use Twitter for My Plasma Burn Website. And what I use it for is that I post Announcement messages Like Im Looking for a Writer, Or Im working on a new article about Fallout 3, Or Ive gotten extra Beta keys for XYZ game, etc,etc...  and that basically tells those people to come check out the site for more information.   Alot of Teens are using Twitter, I don't know how many Oklahoma folks use it. I don't hear many Oklahoma people talk about it.   But I know alot of gamers genre are information lazy? trying to put that politically nice?  And sometimes you have to put the information in front of there face.  And Twitter and Pownce does that providing they have it set up..  Just an Idea Probably not something that would get adapted here In Oklahoma But Id be more than happy to set something up If someone thinks it would work.  I know this dont put Fliers out. But outside of Oklahoma I know alot of gamer groups use Pownce more than twitter to get there word out on whats going on.

Just food for thought

slipknot0129

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 09:47:36 pm »
i will need to some to pass out when gears of war 2 comes out at the launch.

Offline Animefreak6969

• OKgamer fo' life
  • YUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 01:05:44 am »
Ha, remember way back when Saif gave me a bunch of flyers to hand out, way too many that is, and I handed a bunch, I still hav ethe rest of that stack in my car, I take some out every now and then when I go to a Gamesotop or Best Buy just in case.

Offline Dameaskinos

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer Evangelist
  • The last Raven shall never fall
    • View Profile
    • Mtg of Oklahoma -LansEnd-
  • XBL ID: Dameaskinos
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:11:54 am »
How could I go about getting some without printing them out myself... cus I know of a lot of ppl here at USAO that if they knew of what OKgamers was doin the would go nuts...

Offline Winged_Human

• OKgamers Supporters
  • Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 03:36:31 pm »
There's a new gaming/Lan store opening up soon in N OKC.  I think it's called "Gamers Paradise" or something, it's like N Edmond.

I think getting a couple of flyers in there would be a good idea.
Death borne on angels wings.

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 07:30:26 pm »

Also, keep in mind myself, DarkWraith - head of Street Crew efforts, and TH3 R3ligion down in OKC - all have at least a small stockpile of flyers at all times.  We had some donated to us by Tokyo in Tulsa, and they are looking to do it again - so we will have some more in a bit.

X A

So - in basic contact whoever is closer - myself in Tulsa, R3ligion in OKC, and depending on the day contact Darkwraith, because he's known to travel to both lol.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

DarkWraith56

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 04:03:35 am »
yeah....im a pack mule when im not working apparently...

Offline Punish3r

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • 1337 Filmmaker
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 11:10:48 pm »
I may be able to slip some Okgamers flyers into bags of Circuit City customers who buy a game :P

SuperSkidZ

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 11:07:48 pm »
^^^ That would be awesome. I was in the gamestop at 96th and Riverside last saturday and I didnt see any flyers there. If I can somehow get ahold of some, I've known the manager there for quite some time, and I bet I could get him to let us either put some up in there, or give them some that people can take at their liesure.

DarkWraith56

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 11:50:50 pm »
tell me the next time your in that area i work up on the river walk

Offline LawlTack

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
  • I liek vidya gaemz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 11:12:11 am »
There's a new gaming/Lan store opening up soon in N OKC.  I think it's called "Gamers Paradise" or something, it's like N Edmond.

I think getting a couple of flyers in there would be a good idea.

I live right next to this. I can get some flyers in there.

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 08:35:19 am »
We need to get them at ALL the Gears of War 2 Launches on the 7th at Game Stops. They will have our tournament flyers already. I'm working on getting a permanent thing for okgamer flyers to be permenately on the shelves.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:41:25 am by Timmy Skorcher »
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

Offline Dameaskinos

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer Evangelist
  • The last Raven shall never fall
    • View Profile
    • Mtg of Oklahoma -LansEnd-
  • XBL ID: Dameaskinos
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 09:00:11 am »
We need to get them at ALL the Gears of War 2 Launches on the 7th at Game Stops. They will have our tournament flyers already. I'm working on getting a permanent thing for okgamer flyers to be permenately on the shelves.

If I could get some, I sure I could get them into the New Castle Game Stop. And a few places here in Chickasha.

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 10:07:58 am »

If I could get some, I sure I could get them into the New Castle Game Stop. And a few places here in Chickasha.

Oh getting them in Game Stops is no problem. I got all the District Managers on speed dial. They call me Pretty Ricky.. lol but yea if your out there itll save us a stamp or two.
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center