Author Topic: Censorship - we need to find a list imo...  (Read 5339 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
Censorship - we need to find a list imo...
« on: January 03, 2007, 01:41:33 pm »

So - while I WASNT really planning on this being the first advisory board change to hit the forums first, I figure it's good to start the conversation / motion to get it done.

--

Censorship - we need it.

Why?  We serve the needs of the gamer community around Oklahoma to get the word out about events, and tournaments...

That means 2 big things when it comes to censorship.

Sponsors, and venues - are businesses.  They can't support a online resource that would be offensive to the clientele they support, and the families they serve.  So - when it comes to a business POSTING about a event or tournament - as we need to get to that point more and more; they can't post, and then have someone using offensive language on their event thread, with their good name attached.

Gamers - aren't all 18 and up.  So - because we have younger folks around, and their parents who have to approve as well, and that means censorship at some level.

What kind of censorship?  Well, self censorship - something we'll develop a thread about and ask posters to please adhere to.  Basic "don't go sailor on the forums" stuff...

And.  Word Bans.

We are not here to re-write what is accepted in the social vocabulary - we are here simply to adhere to it.  There are words considered offensive, and all around accepted as "NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR MINORS" - and those are the words we need to censor...

The forum software can replace a word out.  Let's take - the F word.  We could make it frag.  So on, so forth. 

However - we need a good list / a resource to pull from to make that list from.  I KNOW somewhere online - there has to be a "these words aren't allowed" list.  Can - anyone help find this?

--

So - in review.  Censorship - please remember that there are younger folks online, and don't say anything you wouldn't say in front of your mother or friend's little siblings.  We'll get a thread out about that soon.

Also, does anyone know / can find a 'average American banned word list' or such.  Maybe whatever the American broadcasting follows for say TV and radio?  THAT would be good I bet...

THANKS!@#

[ AND NO.  DO NOT START POSTING BAD WORDS HERE.  You want to make sure a word is covered?  PM it to me.  Like I said, this isn't a RE-DEFINING mission.  This is a going along with the status-quo job, so we keep it clean enough for families, and the companies that they support, that are in turn, maintain our goal of supporting and broadcasting about gaming events around Oklahoma. ]

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Krisnaga

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
  • schwing.
    • View Profile
Re: Censorship - we need to find a list imo...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 02:03:43 pm »
haha once again kids... this isnt X_A acting as captain lame. this was thourougly discussed and voted on by the advisory board.

honestly, cuss words are a more succint way of expressing intention.
you can still be just as vile and accusatory using the full range or other descriptions embodied in the english language for your convinience.

word replacement is a good idea.
except i think the offending words should be replaced not by something tepid with a similar meaning, but with something different and ridiculous.

f word could be replaced with jelly or pound.
of course the f word can be used in so many parts of speech... the diversity of the words usage must be considered.
Respect the Quickness

Offline xX Blizzard Xx

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Blizzard Is Too umm, I forgot
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: c
  • Wii ID: c
  • XBL ID: c
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 12:48:44 am »
Ya, Censorship is a must. There a bunch of Kids thinking there hot stuff cuz they can Cuss.....You should replace the words with things like........Rainbows, Candy, CreamCorn........

That idea is So SIk.......

Im in. It destroys our youths

Vote Censorship.

-Elect Blizzard for 07-
 ;D
Www.Facebook.com/BlizzardIsNice
WWw.Twitter.com/WhoIsBlizzard

New Tag Name - mvVBlizzardVvm

Offline Pinkie

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 07:25:29 am »
I always thought we need this, just for fun, censor the word Halo with Barbie and watch everyone freak.

Offline Icychiller

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Hitech redneck gamer
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: Icychiller
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 11:50:48 am »
blizzard ur a rainbow person..lol........see i censored my self...but yea ppl who cuss, talk about strawberry shortcakes..naughty pics..lol..HEY DONT POINT THAT FINGER @ ME...lol...need to be taught a lesson if they break it..im down for the fixing on here..wellim out..lata..Weav

Offline ICBALLS

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Stoned As We Play
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 01:20:36 pm »
noooo you can't ♥♥♥♥♥ Censor us. Thats like takein away one of our freedoms.Cuss words are they main words i know,it's away of life.
 If you replace cuss words with words like Rainbows, Candy, CreamCorn then peopel who veiw our website they are gonna think were gay.
I mean if you guys wanna sound gay thats cool but i dont.

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 02:19:50 pm »

There will be one day...  One day on this forum - where Halo is replaced by Barbie - I FORESEE THIS IN OUR FTURES!!@#

--

For now.  We'll deal with getting rid of the 'standard bad words'.  And we'll replace it with something socially acceptable.  As I said - has anyone found a good list / done any searching?

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Icychiller

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Hitech redneck gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 09:29:51 pm »
noooo you can't ♥♥♥♥♥ Censor us. Thats like takein away one of our freedoms.Cuss words are they main words i know,it's away of life.
 If you replace cuss words with words like Rainbows, Candy, CreamCorn then peopel who veiw our website they are gonna think were gay.
I mean if you guys wanna sound gay thats cool but i dont.
u wunna make a bet there sunshine..this isnt the icballs website...this is forum for everyone including kids so no cus words nore spam talkin bout 4th hours..not to be a ♥♥♥♥♥ butt this is a gamer site not a spam site

Offline ICBALLS

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Stoned As We Play
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 12:12:21 am »
Ummm, ok first off all the topic is Censorship so i put what i think about it.ok i don't me to sound like a "♥♥♥♥♥ butt"but don't talk to me about spaming in General chat,what are you ♥♥♥♥♥ stupid,what the ♥♥♥♥ do you think General chat means .Some one needs to look up spam.
Also calling another dude sunshine is no not only super gay in it's self,it also show that your a ♥♥♥

Offline Krisnaga

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
  • schwing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 04:43:48 am »
two things that give your arguments less crediblity:
1. clearly displaying the need for censorship whilst expressing your distaste for it
2. resorting to childish name calling or vulgarity in place of more effective articulation.

furthermore, boys,
grammar and syntax are sexy, sexy things.  ;)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 02:29:36 pm by bunni »
Respect the Quickness

Offline Icychiller

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Hitech redneck gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 10:46:45 pm »
general chat is good for things but not sum fat chick that wants 2 eat u or sumthin

Offline Krisnaga

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
  • schwing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 11:46:31 am »
question.  are words like "felatio" favorable to "bj"?
if we say the same thing only not in a completely vulgar way, can we get away with it?
Respect the Quickness

Offline Icychiller

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Hitech redneck gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 01:28:42 pm »
question.  are words like "felatio" favorable to "bj"?
if we say the same thing only not in a completely vulgar way, can we get away with it?

im so confused...♥♥♥♥♥ college kids n there big words

Offline Pr1m0

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 02:19:52 pm »
yay for censorship!!

I L3fty I

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 01:08:55 pm »
im gonna 'rainbow' this 'creamcornin' 'unicorn' until it screams for 'pink ponies' and then i will 'skittle' it with my huge 'cookie'...their..now that is censorship   lmao