Author Topic: Tulsa - THE LAST THROW DOWN of 09: SSBB, SF4, Tekken 6, BlazBlue - 12/13/09  (Read 42390 times)

Offline FK

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
Re: Tulsa - THE LAST THROW DOWN of 09: SSBB, SF4, Tekken 6, BlazBlue - 12/13/09
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2009, 11:25:31 am »

Typ_EX - are you into soap operas?  Cause like, it's either the love of delaying like a bad daytime show lagging you into the next day, or lack of clear communication that you couldn't just say "Most of the Norman crew has finals".  Srsly, are you okay Tom?

X A

Lol. <3 Saif.

Offline Typ_EX

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2009, 03:45:58 pm »
Fair enough.

The lot of norman has chosen school over a video game.

Did you get josh to use MK so you could vote for pro ban? 

Offline Tiamoko

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 14, 2009, 07:13:25 pm »
Man I sucked ♥♥♥ at this tournament, any tips for a Lucas player? If you tell me something along the lines of "don't use Lucas he's gay, mid tier, rabble rabble rabble" all I have to say is Tiers are 4 ♥♥♥♥♥.

Offline Typ_EX

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 14, 2009, 07:19:48 pm »
look up vids by phoenix alpha or magitek knight.

Offline Animefreak6969

• OKgamer fo' life
  • YUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 14, 2009, 09:02:49 pm »
BB and T6 results were different, we had to do a round robin since not even 8 people showed up. (BB had 7, Tekken had 5)

BB Results. (now we did points for these, everyone played everyone twice, so it'll be either 2-0 or 1-1 and adding them up for the winner)
1. Animefreak (Bang)
2. Crazy Clown (Arakune/Tager)
3. Bees (Tager)
4. Tomo (Jin/Noel)
5-7 is Flip (Noel), Kelley and Joshua (Jin) in some order because Kelley and Flip left before the tourney ended.

T6 results. (this one did better)
1. Animefreak (Eddie/Hwoarang)
2. Flip (Hwoarang)
3. i think was a tie between Jesus (Lili aka get out of Tekken) and Zero (Alisa)
4. ?

Offline LONEWOLF2021

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2009, 10:14:51 pm »
Omg ily you found my controller I was like were the ♥♥♥♥♥ did it go and looked for like 20 mins lol thank you sooo mcuh!!!!
THE CLOWN IS IN TOWN.

Offline ultimate faust

• Familiar Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2009, 10:40:04 pm »
chief huh... hahah he used to be a really good ino player in guilty gear, from kansas right? ♥♥♥♥♥ i wish i could of been there.

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2009, 05:35:24 am »

Results post updated!  SF players, do you want to let me know what characters, or does it matter lol.

Sadly - the following is just 2 responses lol.

Typ_EX - do you realize that you're coming off insulting?  That - all you had to do was go "oh yea, finals week!!" - and that's the end of that?  My perspective might be skewed here, but reading that, seems like your trying to make me the bad guy in some story.  What is with that Tom?  Are you addicted to drama?  You want to perceive life as it is and take life seriously, choosing school over video games - that's a great level-headed direction.  Let's talk you apparently starting crap for no reason I know.  I'm feeling more grounded than EVER, of course I've got a funeral to attend in 2 days for a friend that decided to end his life, so maybe I'm a bit emotional right now.  But hey - it's a forum - YAY - let's clear up what you never seem to say in person but comes out everywhere else.  I've been told that I'm the same online or irl - but hey, I'll start the sharing!  I feel - I'm nice to you, considerate to all your friends in Norman and players you know around the region, and well to be frank, go out of my way to accommodate the way you think things should be.  Course, in part that's because you HAVE an opinion, and that's good, since so few speak up, but still, I really feel I LISTEN.  I feel you are nice to my face, then seem to go OUT OF YOUR WAY to cause drama - such as this post.  Seriously "woops, finals week, can't come" - that's like a twitter update length there.  All the secrecy and comparing people to others - I don't get it.  Another thing I don't get - you have a problem with me, come to me.  If it's a problem with OKgamers - there's an entire forum called improvements - please use it.  If you have a problem with me, and don't want to say it to my face, I've got email, PM's, and facebook.  But complaining and bad mouthing me to complete strangers - who feel bad enough to relay it back to me later?  SERIOUSLY TOM?  Why are you causing drama?  What have I done?  I can pull the "starting OKgamers and putting time and effort and money into it" card, but if you don't realize any of that by now, you'll never do it.  So what bad karma have I sunk into you and your's that I deserve this drama?

MK - NO.  I did not get Josh to play MK to get him banned.  Why would you come from that angle?  Why would you 'call me out' on a public forum for something so scheming sounding and crazy?  Is this Yawara posting from your account - I don't need another run of that!  OH BOY!  No.  Anyway, OF COURSE NOT.  Did you talk all NORMAN'S MK players into playing him so someone would ban MK?  I doubt it, and it'd never crossed my mind, but hey, drama breeds drama.  Let's go here - MK - is a top tier killer of doom.  Tulsa - doesn't have a serious one, so Josh playing him - helps our local community deal with MK's PERIOD.  Then, there's the "Best fit" mentality - Josh wants to win - give him the best tools to do so.  MK is better than PT or GW by far, so...  Best too for the job.  The job is WINNING Tom?  What else should I have suggested?  Is Norman anti-MK?  I heard no.  Then again, Norman seems to not like me for reasons of either old school smashboard days, or maybe because they think I'm out to get you?  I know - I'm a scary guy Tom, I yell and everything.  I know it's hard to believe - but I REALLY DID start OKgamers to help out the community.  I REALLY DONT have an agenda waiting around the corner to own you or the local government.  I really do just believe in helping people - for whatever stupid reason that is.  Call me a fool, and soft hearted - because when I'm hated on and treated poorly for doing good things, that's all it feels like anyway.  I already learned key Norman players don't think OKgamers is worth the salt in tears it's taken to put together, but that's fine - I'll move on with that in mind lol.  What I'll stick to though is - community improvement, and what it takes to do that.  As for an agenda when it comes to SMASH?  THE OTHER TO'S DONT CARE ABOUT SMASH AS FAR AS I KNOW - I could probably push through whatever rules I want.  They are FPS, and console general, and PC / tabletop general gamers - no one takes smash as serious as I do of the TO's, and frankly I listen to Josh, Fro, Paul, Norman, and the occasional out of town player on what to do for SSBB, and do that - if I wanted something done...  Man I could just throw OKgamers reputation under the bus and do whatever I want!  But I don't do that, I want it to be a resource of value, so despite you throwing OKgamers under the bus as you have in the past knowing it or not, I'm not going to.  As far as I know, even if slight and not worth your respect, OKgamers has helped, and I won't tarnish what others have put into it for personal petty goals.

MK BANNING - has been brought up over and over again.  MY STANCE IS NOW AND FOREVER WILL BE:
OKgamers seems to have become the 'standard' for several groups in OK to follow for rules, etc.  As a result it's our duty to encourage what is best for the community - whatever the game, whatever the rules say nationally, to protect traveling in and out of the area.  Right now - SSBB USA hasn't banned MK at all that I know of.  The only ones we knew of that did anything close - Xyro in TX at monthly Hobos?  Of which, the next one - MK is not banned at?

OKgamers, having some responsibility in our community, will not hurt our local players chances, nor create rules that discourage traveling opponents from visiting.  What does OKgamers do - we are setup to help our local communities by providing more events, exposure, and above all else - communication that events are happening, and how to get to them, etc.  We will NEVER go against rules WE KNOW ABOUT - that would handicap players that decided to travel outside of OK, or a OKgamers influenced event.  Weak sauce, no.  We want our community to have every fair shot at being the best as we can afford - any game, any community.  I would think the Smash players in Norman would know that as much as we've worked with you Tom, as well as anyone we could latch onto to provide fair and balanced rules, and perspectives.  Seriously, why hurt OK players?

THE BAN MK AFTER 1/23 FOR A FEW EVENTS TALK - due to constant complaints in Tulsa since Josh has picked up MK seriously, and oh yea, all the hate for MK nationally that does exist, with him 'almost being banned' - we have made it clear that 12/13 and 1/23 would HAVE MK PLAYABLE.  HOWEVER - at the largest gathering we know of coming up - the 1/23 event, we'd discuss opening and quickly with the players present - the ones who obviously show up, travel, etc - what they want.  If we have an overwhelming interest, we'll throw a few no-MK events after that.  If it's 50/50, etc - there's really no need to worry, let complainers man up lol.

Tom - using someone so I could vote for pro ban?  I am pro MK ban, why would I need to have him do anything?  I would have also been pro-Jin banning in T4 - but as I've been told, Japan eventually exclipsed out the top Jin players by just getting better at beating Jin, even one guy using one of the lowest tier characters at the time, iirc?  And that Jin matchup seems almost fair in comparison to MK stats, but meh.  Anyway - my personal opinion only factors into starting discussions at best - I've made my position clear; but what the community wants it gets, OKgamers isn't my own personal platform for destroying MK, or anything else.  We've got a board of TO's to decide major OKgamers things, and for game rules trusted staff members and 'outside consultants' if you will - like yourself and several other Norman types, like Yawara and Le, who take their games seriously, and we know they are in touch with the national community, and can be trusted to give us the right info - to act off of.

Oh, and before you doubt your role as 'outside consultant' lol - please don't make me recount all the times we've jumped because you guys said something.  We've listened, and will continue to, because like I've tried to make clear - we are FOR OK, not out for personal blah.

*SO MUCH DRAMA!@#*  Why can't we all just communicate needs, and work together without so much of this drama -_-;;

--

Tiamoko - IGNORING TIERS IS LIKE SAYING THE WORLD IS FLAT.  Like saying your pinto will beat a lamborgini in a speed race.  Like saying a tube TV is better than a 60 inch LED tv....

Ignoring tiers isn't going to help you anymore than sticking your head in the ground.

...that said?  While yes tiers usually represent both mathematical results and community results which help focus that clear cut perspective - the newer the list the more they can be somewhat wrong, or challenged; but that's only in the cases of new finds that expand the characters base properties, or long term use changing how the community plays.  (problem is, the SSBB tier list isn't new lol)

Also, if your playing for fun - that changes things.  And never ever forget playing to your strengths...  Your Pinto MIGHT beat a Lamborghini - in a demolition derby.  Tube TV's don't have lag, while some older flat screens might, so for pro gaming, some tubes can seem 'better' for a tournament.  Then again, those are all cases of playing to the strengths of one, and potential weaknesses of others - and well, does Metaknight REALLY have big enough issues against anyone other than maybe the crazy hitboxer Snake?  As I know it, nope.

What does any of this mean? If you've put 120 hours into your B tier character, and they've put in 20 hours to their SS tier - you might be able to beat them.  You can out play the player, but when the math kicks in on a level playing field - tiers are the solid facts, please realize this.  Even in if you've practiced 10 times more than them, you are usually at a serious disadvantage playing low tier vs top tier, with crazy exceptions here and there that won't win the game, but can make things interesting at least.  Practice all you want, and love your character instead of the win - and that's cool.  Heck I play Rob, come on.  But the truth is - if we care about the WIN?  We should consider pouring our time into the best weapons - MK, MK, MK, and Snake.  Just watch tournament results, they don't lie.  Sucks?  That's life.  Video game companies can't afford to pay for all the time it takes to balance a game - they are trying to make a profit, and the 'hardcore' that want it are a fraction of the user base, drowned out by hordes of gamers that'll just buy a game because it's got Link in it.

Top tier isn't fair?  Cheating?  Since when is it cheating to use the best weapons?  Would you say - prefer Iraq and Afghanistan to play out with our men on the ground, face to face with pistols, instead of using our superior tech in air strength, etc?  To make it even more simple - it's not someone showing up to a knife fight with a gun, guys.  It's someone coming to a challenge, and choosing what they wanted to, based on their motivations.  All for the win - master a top tier.  Fun and hardcore fans - take on what they have to work with, and if they are successful, well they were playing to their strengths stronger than the other guy.  Gun beats sword, unless sword closes gap :)

Now - all that said.  Tiers also give you a CLEAR PATH - of what to study.  What to learn to beat.  What to watch out for.  Tiers also create a double edged sword for newer players - because someone that just picks a top tier character and doesn't know low tier can get 'parlor tricked' to death, never knowing what's coming, or how to defend against it.  Don't learn your opponents, don't know how to beat them.  In a cast as large as Smash or some of the 3d fighters, that's a real issue.

People who rag on low-tier are just acting like the mob they hang out with.  People who only play top tier may be missing the whole point of gaming - but if they are in it for the win - who's to say they are wrong?

Tiamoko - enjoy what you do, no matter what.  If you want to win easier in SSBB, or any fighting game - go top tier.  If you want to rep your favorite character, and they aren't top tier?  Realize you've got a harder path ahead of you, and that your rarely going to face easy battles, losing over and over again to people who may have put in less time than you, but simply have a 'win button' character.  And for fighting games - MK is really one of the worse feeling to me; but to be fair?  Rob V MK is the worst match up for Rob as I've been told, so no wonder it feels harsh to me :)  Perspective factors for us all, but the reality is as well represented as it can get with a mature tier list; don't fight it, embrace it and be better off for having a clear road map, and knowing where you stand.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline chief713

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2009, 10:19:31 am »
chief huh... hahah he used to be a really good ino player in guilty gear, from kansas right? ♥♥♥♥♥ i wish i could of been there.

Na man, you got the wrong guy.  I'm from Texas (residing in Norman right now, though), and SFIV is the only game I play competitively.  I'm terrible at Guilty Gear.

Offline PhLo

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2009, 11:13:24 am »
Some vids I caught of the SFIV portion:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rofflecopterx

There's only six. Hope someone enjoys.
Formerly Stilly Crew.

Offline Tiamoko

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2009, 05:55:02 pm »
The Tiers Are 4 ♥♥♥♥♥ comment was only meant for people who might have said "don't use Lucas he's gay, mid tier, rabble rabble rabble" I realize that there are tiers and that it does factor into the game but I don't look to much at it. I like Lucas that's why I play him, and that's why I'm gonna keep improving him. I mainly just wanted advice for playing him not to bash the Tier system, there was no need to rant that long about it. Maybe I just don't know how these boards work, sorry for any trouble.

Offline The Monster Man

• Global Moderator
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2009, 06:18:23 pm »
Fair enough.

The lot of norman has chosen school over a video game.

Did you get josh to use MK so you could vote for pro ban? 

I'm glad they made the right choice. I know that it must have been hard...

And Josh chose to play MK all on his own like the big boy he is.
OKgamers, the coolest place for me to go online...

Offline po pimpus

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2009, 01:43:41 am »
Hey yo, I've been sleeping from all the work I have to do, but I just wanted to say that the views of TypEX and FK are not necessarily endorsed by Po Pimpus or his affiliates...

I missed this tourney, and judging by the results, I probably could have snagged a Top Three finish had I not chosen to work... Oh well. Just one of those things. I'll try to make it to the 1/23 event, so OK can have some accurate representation of skill, but I have to see if my schedule permits. *GF wants to go out of town that weekend, so yeah*

ONE LAST THING: Tom, you and Paul have been on Douche-Mode lately, and I see it isn't contained within Smashboards... However, I applaud you for focusing on school... For someone who LOST TO A LUIGI recently, I believe I would place my focus elsewhere as well.
 As one of the elder statesmen of the community, I am very disappointed in the way the lot of you behave when it comes to people 'outside the circle'... If the Smash community in OK is to grow, we need to make an effort to INCLUDE EVERYONE who wants to be a part and contributes.

Saif, as I think I've mentioned to you in the past, I'm big on expanding the Smash scene, so I have always made a concerted effort to travel to as many events in-state and out as I can. However, as of late, my desire to play this game has waned. It takes a lot of planning and effort for me to make it out to these things. Work schedules, family, finances, etc. all take up a great deal of my energy. Then, I have to deal with the 'Douche Patrol' lording it up like they own a monopoly over all the skill in this community and putting down anyone they deem 'too weak' or unwilling to play the politics to get within the clique.
 I respect you, and your efforts to reach out to ALL SMASH PLAYERS IN OKLAHOMA, despite having your hand bitten so many times by ungrateful, disrespectful punks who wouldn't know real skill if it Shoryuken'd them in the face (which it has on more than one occasion).
The Tulsa community is a very cool bunch of peeps, and while I started off on the wrong foot, you've all found a welcome place in my heart along with the many other cool peeps I've encountered during my journeys.

On the subject of tiers, I applaud anyone who has the guts to play to their strengths and pick a character who meshes with their personality and play style, rather than being an sheep and going for the 'easy button'. Not a knock on Josh, who is a phenomenal player in his own right, or any of the other OK Metas, but y'all know that ish is EASY like Sunday morning. Meta is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in a popular tourney game-- going against him with anything less than Snake is like fighting with a rock against a dude wielding a pistol-- It's just dumb. Yeah, you can kill with that rock, but you have to be so much more pro than the other guy that it at the end of day, you question whether or not it's worth the effort.
 That doesn't mean I'm giving up: "JOSH YOU BETTER GO METAKNIGHT AGAINST ME, HE'S YOUR ONLY HOPE!" Yeah, I called you out. Because unlike the majority of people who make up the "NORMAN POWER RANKING" (cute name, btw), I am not afraid of losing. Mainly because I won't, but also because I go hard in the paint. I ain't afraid of no Mach-Tornadoing, Shuttle-Looping BS, and I will go straight for you jugular, EVERY SINGLE MATCH I PLAY.

That's a real competitor does it. Norman, watch Daddy and learn how it's done.

Offline ultimate faust

• Familiar Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2009, 04:45:51 pm »
oh i remember you, well im THE gouken player :)

i hate zangief.... he might be the reason i bad match him on purpose with sagat...

Offline execute

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 17, 2009, 04:14:35 pm »
saif you can check back earlier in this thread typ_ex has been a complete ♥♥♥♥♥ in every post he has directed at me too. And for what? I'm really nice at all the OK events saif etc can back me up the AR crew me, Steve, jeff, etc always play friendlies, say ggs and have a good time. It's pretty likely AR will show up for january so that ought to be fun. Maybe a state battle 4 v 4 or something just for fun.