Author Topic: Tournament Tools - Does Pre-Registration HELP or HURT?  (Read 2716 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
Tournament Tools - Does Pre-Registration HELP or HURT?
« on: January 18, 2010, 06:48:34 pm »

PRE-REGISTRATION -

It works for large events that have people travelling, or considering if they should travel...

...but the truth is - any event OKgamers has ever had - we've had travelling.  So - shouldn't we always do a Pre-reg?

It's MORE work for the organizers, but it has the benefit of also giving us a clear intent of attendance, hardware, and even cell numbers to call if you don't show up and we don't want to start without your group.

The problem is - gamers have LITERALLY told me as an organizer - they won't do it unless there is some financial or direct personal gain.  From the past experiences - it seems this is a overall "lazy" angle most seem to share, because less than 25% have used pre-reg in the past for events, even WITH personal gain / discounts.

EXAMPLE - review the 1/23 pre-reg - http://www.plasmaburn.net/prereg.php?tourn=0

Your name.  Games your planning on playing, and hardware your planning on bringing.  Nothing hard here.
We also ask for age, email and phone number - data that won't be shared outside of a few Tournament Organizers.

TIME - that form took me 1 minute, going SLOW.  Reading everything over again.  Taking time to think.

60 seconds.

Is that too much to ask?  Who's going - that helps everyone from locals to travelling gamers.
Are we missing something here - post your opinion and weigh in on the poll.  If there is a 'hurt' to be had, we want to hear about this.

--

POLL - we've got it up.  We want your opinions.  Please take a time to weigh in, trust me, it'll matter.

QUICK POINTS:
Yes - the 1/23 pre-reg is up, and if you are going, please use it!
No - we aren't talking about doing  pre-reg's for conventions unless we are requested to by the event, or by the gaming community it's self.
YES - this applies to events like Funhouse tournaments, TCC events - anything in the future OKgamers would do without a convention or large scale event we are participating at; and even then we could be requested by the event to do it.

Think about the time it takes vs the info it provides.  Personally, I'm for it, but really do want to hear from the community on this, and the TO's will be discussing it at the 2010 meeting.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament Tools - Does Pre-Registration HELP or HURT?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 11:12:44 pm »
i put the first one, but i think the pre registration should be made even easier. that was a whole minute of my life saif... there are lots of important things that you can do with a minute. link the registration to the okgamers site itself... make it so theres a few boxes for games and setups, like the current one, and everything in your profile like name age and number gets auto put into it, or something like that. then have a link next to Profile, and any time theres a tournament to sign up for it can have the [1] next to it, like My Messages. this could shave a whole 30 seconds or more off of pre-reg time!!! think of the benefits my good man

JUST MY 11:11 PM THOUGHTS

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 02:58:31 am »
i put the first one, but i think the pre registration should be made even easier. that was a whole minute of my life saif... there are lots of important things that you can do with a minute. link the registration to the okgamers site itself... make it so theres a few boxes for games and setups, like the current one, and everything in your profile like name age and number gets auto put into it, or something like that. then have a link next to Profile, and any time theres a tournament to sign up for it can have the [1] next to it, like My Messages. this could shave a whole 30 seconds or more off of pre-reg time!!! think of the benefits my good man

JUST MY 11:11 PM THOUGHTS

srsly, 1 minute is too much?  lol

Further integration is of course, not only on the table, but our serious goal.  We'll start with what we can do, and progress to improving that even more so.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline FLIP17

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • THIS IS SWAAAAAGTASTIC
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: Flip17
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 02:40:50 pm »
pre-reg is a good idea, as long as i can wait to pay...

my mom get's kinda weird buying tickets online...
but it's good to see what is needed,
i think we should stress two have at least 2 set ups of each game,
(you know lack of SF finishing...) but you know... what happens, happens

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 04:44:45 pm »

Fees - to be taken in real life, at the event.  No discussion has been made for anything else, so that's fine.

Hardware - USUALLY we have that - but then again - we've relied on the local Tulsa players to help us with that.  A big part of that communication probably happens on the Thursday night thread - and while I stressed hardware to the Smash players, I don't know what's going on over at Michael Jackson's camp - I'm sure Timmy will bring stories of hardware lacking, and Saif threatening to kill tekken ;)  So we'll see what the poll has to say, and remind people polling in that yes - we do need at least 2 setups for a successful tourny attempt even. 

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Yur DownFaLL

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 10:34:39 pm »
Pre reg is a great thing.Poeple can waste 1 minute of there life to help sombody organized a event.
Also what tv show were yu on?
GT: JoRiZzle