Author Topic: OKC - The Oklahoma Electronic Game Expo (OEGE) - April 11, 2009  (Read 20018 times)

Offline Michael Jackson

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • PSN ID: Paxmo
    • View Profile
Re: OKC - The Oklahoma Electronic Game Expo (OEGE) - April 11, 2009
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2009, 12:25:02 am »
But for most cheapest chars seth akuma and goukena re usually up there for reasons idk i usually hear gouken and seth are always banned and akuma if no one minds. This is what i heard are the cheap things about gouken seth and Akuma.

No serious SF4 community has any sort of ban on any of these characters. 

There is nothing 'cheap' about them. 

Gouken isn't even NEAR a high tier character, Akuma is a Mid/High, and Seth is only good if you are crazy good at playing keep away. 

There are no reasons for a ban on any of these chars.

Offline Danieru

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2009, 01:23:43 am »
But for most cheapest chars seth akuma and goukena re usually up there for reasons idk i usually hear gouken and seth are always banned and akuma if no one minds.

People really need to lurk shoryuken.com much more.  NOBODY worth a salt bans these characters.  The only time they were considered to be banned was because some tournament decided to do so before the game even came out, but even then it was a mistake quickly fixed.  If you see anyone say these characters are banned, they are wrong.

In fact, read this post: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=6367004&postcount=5

Gouken, Seth, and Akuma aren't bannable, and likely won't be for quite awhile, if not never.  They're not anymore sinister than Sagat or Ryu, so I don't see any problem here.

Also, like Michal Jackson (I love how he uses Rufus avatar with his name) says, there is nothing cheap about these characters.

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2009, 03:06:18 am »

ABOUT THE EVENT:

The "Official OKgamers response" - as I'm pretty sure I speak for Matt here lol, is that HxC had a lack of staff/hardware show up, and caused issues.

Normally - any OKgamers staffed event will have rules printed, hardware worked out as best as we can considering average people are the ones providing them, etc.  After that, we usually do our best to have enough staff, but just like HxC right now, we are volunteer as well.

Because HxC is a known tourny organizer Matt or I wouldn't step in or bother them on details; so sorry if this didn't go as smoothly as we'd all like.  I assure you HxC events in the future will be better, unless they just really give up :)

--

That said - there's always venue rules, etc.  You get  charged 5$, need to park oddly, or have a time limit and have to get out by 5 - it happens.  They specifically had given them rules - we wish we could have had that info posted on OKgamers, we encourage anyone posting an event to post as much as possible - but OKgamers can't do much to force anything.

--

Now that my voice is returning, I had a good time meeting all the new people!

FOR ALL THE SOUL CALIBUR PLAYERS - if even 3 of you stick around on the site, OKgamers will be a better place ;)  Hope you stick around.

SSBB -  For the Toon Link / Wolf player I played - I hope you take my words seriously and hook up with your local community.  You were good, but unless you play competition that is better, you'll have alot of comp out there that can beat you.  With some time put in, I suspect you could be a real competitor.  Just remember - your first event you didn't get doubled out - that's awesome in my book.

TOM - You should be careful about letting me get you down to your last life in the third game, I might pull out more stops!  lol, it was good playing you, and I'd point to everyone - I'm the only NON-CHAIN THROWING PERSON IN THE TOP 3 - :D  lol.  **Dislikes CHAINTHROW!@#**

SF4 - hope you guys had fun - I think the Ryu player that beat me went on to do decent, I knew I was out when he did combos ;)  lol

Soul Calibur
1. X_A

That can't be right.  He quit.

I decided not to practice with the Tulsa SC community anymore; that's not quitting, that's not playing as seriously anymore.  This means I can't seriously take efforts towards being a "pro SC player" anymore, and travelling to play exclusively, etc.  Maybe with online play I could keep an edge, but I hate the lag :)  So, no I didn't QUIT Soul Calibur, I simply resolved myself to the fact I know - without playing the best locally, you'll not be able to compete.  Not telling that SSBB player anything I don't believe - gotta be active if you want to be the best, and I'm not playing actively; math done.

AnimeFreak - shush.   I enjoy the game, but you know that.  Know anyone that asked knows I pulled out X against you to take advantage of your lack of love ;) 

--

OKGAMERS - ON STREET FIGHTER 4 RULES:

We promote using only what any games community uses, despite the complications it can cause lol.  HxC knew they had access to 360's, so they went that route.

JENKS / FUNHOUSE TOURNAMENT - I've already made it clear on that thread we'll play with whatever has the most fully unlocked hardware show up for it.  We PREFER ps3 because the community backs that - and if there is a hardware tie, will go with Ps3.  However, because I don't have any guarantees on who is bringing what - we are going with what shows up.

For the TCC 6/06 Tournament?  I hope to confirm enough PS3's / hardware at the Jenks tournament to provide that we don't have to do this "what shows up" issue.  We'll see, "enough" also depends on how many people show up to this Jenks tourny.

Like the Funhouse tournament thread states, and the front page states - OKgamers is just a group of gamers that coordinate efforts.  I don't own SF4 - so I can't help ps3 or 360 :(  If hardware doesn't show up, we'll do what we have to do to make the best event possible.  Please help bring hardware in future events, because unless otherwise stated, if OKgamers staff is helping, there is probably the need to help your community have a good event.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Danieru

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2009, 04:08:27 am »
SF4 - hope you guys had fun - I think the Ryu player that beat me went on to do decent, I knew I was out when he did combos Wink  lol
To be fair, they were just simple "Crouch Medium kick to Hadouken" combos.  Didn't really have the ability to do stuff like Shoryuken -> FADC -> Ultra and such since I was planning on using Gouken instead.

Then again, I can't really do any fancy combos with Gouken either.

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2009, 08:50:36 am »
but aren't all characters besides Gouken supposed to be legal,
Gouken is legal, and will always be unless some ridiculous discovery is made.

Come on now Akuma is almost a BANNED character in the first place just like yoda is BANNED in SC4....
Since when was Akuma almost a banned character?

just because he has more intangibles then all the other fighters is why I personally would not allow Akuma. Anyone agree?
No.

I mean should the okgamers community allow people to use Seth?
Most definitely.

IIRC, the only reason console chars weren't allowed was because many of the 360's didn't have SF4 save files that had them, so they wanted the tournament to be in sync.  This had nothing to do with character abilities themselves.  Lesson learned, I'll bring my memory card with my save file on it next time.
ONLY reason we used the ban rule is due to the consoles. At the game stop tournaments was their any unlockable characters used? I used Akuma as an example because hes like Clown said one of the cheapest characters to use. On that note future tournaments we will allow everyone EXCEPT SETH! I'm sorry thats not fair nor cool! At Hardcore LAN Center tournaments did you know we will pay your entry fee if you let us use your console? So if you want to play on a Ps3 you have to bring it. Hey Michael Jackson where are the okgamers forum rules for SF 4?
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

Offline Michael Jackson

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2009, 10:21:57 am »
That's all up to XA man, I'm not a staff member here, I just post a lot and am connected with a lot of Fighting Game enthusiasts.

I hate to keep posting the same thing over and over but this is the decided format that the tournament going body of the SF4 community has settled on:

Format:......2/3 Rounds, 2/3 Games, Double Elimination, 99 Seconds, No Handicap
Console:.....Playstation 3
Rules:........If the players do not agree on a stage within 15 seconds, the match will be random stage select.

...and here is the official stance on characters taken from Danieru's quote (which links directly from Shoryuken.com):

As of this post, No characters are banned in any official SRK event. Similarly, none are banned at tournaments run by the vast majority of tournaments run by and attended by SRK members.

SRK the official entity, as stated is banning no one. "SRK", the body of people that make the site/community/etc, generally see no reason to ban anyone right now.

Any tournaments in which any characters are banned, as such, are generally frowned upon by this community. Or at the very least, their rulesets are.

It's up to XA to get these rules up and available for the OKgamers staff.

--------------------------------------------

Addenum:

I understand that the console that were brought determined which chars could be used.  If people didn't bring unlocked consoles then it would have taken too long to unlock everyone (even on easiest/1 round/30 sec) on every machine so everyone could play who they wanted.  This, while unfortunate, is understandable.

The Gamestop tournaments are a unique venture in and of themselves as they have rulesets put forth by people who understand that it is too much to have their employees unlock everyone prior to the tournament.  They put those rules in place to allow the employees to just 'Plug and Play' the entire tournament as a standard, but not the Fighting Game Communities standard.

Every other event that's been held (big or small) has adhered to the standardized ruleset listed above. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:33:50 am by Michael Jackson »

mmmapplesauce

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2009, 11:28:12 am »
hey whats up guys this is Applesauce, the crazy guy running around with the camera talking to as many of you all as I could!

Really enjoyed what you guys put on, looking forward to any other events going on in the future!

my gamertag is mmmApplesauce if anyone wants to play!

Offline Danieru

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2009, 11:32:13 am »
hey whats up guys this is Applesauce, the crazy guy running around with the camera talking to as many of you all as I could!
What's your YouTube channel?  I want to monitor people making fun of me over the internet, heh.

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2009, 04:34:30 pm »
OK! FYI future tournaments no characters will be banned! Also when we open up the LAN Center we are going to need people to come and unlock games and characters for tournaments. So this won't be a future problem Saif knows we do well at raising the bar the next go around. So let me get this straight Seth is a legal character? Seriously? X A is anyone going to create a PDF of some form of SF4 rules? What do you guys use at the monthlies?
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

Offline LONEWOLF2021

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2009, 04:45:33 pm »
Aight but to that shoryuken thing characters can be banned if put on the setlist like gamebattles.com were akuma nad gouken can be banned. Same with mlg rules if you do not believe me just check and if shoryuken frowns on people not allowing (cough cough) rigged chars than thats completely up to them. As for high levels of play i have played people in the top 5 of gamebattles and if that rule is not put inot effect expect alot of gayness. For local tourneys I do not mind that much because most of the competition here understand these bans. Hey if people wanna cry about using there banned or rigged chars let em i still have my non unlockable low tier character which i won the tourney with against Akuma in the final round. It is possible to beat them there just so ♥♥♥♥♥ good that it might put low players higher if they use them.
THE CLOWN IS IN TOWN.

Offline Michael Jackson

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2009, 07:22:27 pm »
Wow, you are bad and stupid all in a single, horribly parsed paragraph.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2009, 07:23:37 pm »
So let me get this straight Seth is a legal character? Seriously? X A is anyone going to create a PDF of some form of SF4 rules? What do you guys use at the monthlies?

It's a fighting game - and in that fighting game as a I recall being told / shown - Seth takes the MOST DAMAGE.

Aka, when you hit him, it counts for more damage than others take.  Several fightin games like GGXX 'balance' their games that way - so hulking huge slow characters take less damage, and over powered characters like Seth don't reign over all so easily.

And - THIS IS WHY - OKgamers / "XA" lol, etc - follows what the "general community / tournament scenes" say; the communities themselves know what's best.  They setup what is best for their events, and so we follow along.  It's fair, because it's been thought over heavily, and if gamers from OK go to other events, they don't run into random rule changes, etc as easily.

It's why we banned Algol.  It's why we didn't ban MetaKnight, etc.

And yes, as I said in the Business Owners forum to you guys - OKgamers will develop a PDF / ruleset resource for businesses as soon as we proove out the current rules at the Jenks event.

And soon - the NVGA will have rulesets for all their chapters to follow, which will be the same thing - what each games community has set down.  So look for that in the future popping up on our site as well.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline LONEWOLF2021

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2009, 08:30:19 pm »
Aight that is all I want Saif is a definite ruleset so we can stop arguing about which one is right and just play.
THE CLOWN IS IN TOWN.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2009, 10:26:11 pm »
Aight that is all I want Saif is a definite ruleset so we can stop arguing about which one is right and just play.

Well, Michael and others quoting SK.com are going to be 'right' - because that's the community site.  I trust Michael and others because they are taking the time to read up and get the community info.  They know the value of OK being 'compliant' and our players being ready for events outside of the state.  Also, if we go 'rouge' as a state, no one from neighboring states will come to play at events, etc - so it's really a win-win.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

mmmapplesauce

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2009, 01:15:40 am »
only person I have a problem with is Gouken

not that he is a top tier fight, but because his backthrow just tosses you straight up in the air and you can ultra from it every time

prett-y lame