Author Topic: Norman - HxC Super Bit Wars - Marvel Vs Capcom 3 & Mortal Kombat 9 - 8/20/2011  (Read 13470 times)

Offline TheTrillz

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: TheTrillz
  • XBL ID: TheTrillz
Whatever, I'm done with MK9. The community won't accept the game due to it not being Capcom or a "hold back" to block game so I've officially given up. Since HxC even called Oklahoma gamers "lazy" I'm just going to take his word for it and not even attempt to talk about the pros of MK. Besides, I don't really feel like driving outside of the state to play in a 6 man tourney.

Oh well, looks like I'm back on that cluster freak known as Marvel... *sigh*

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
Whatever, I'm done with MK9. The community won't accept the game due to it not being Capcom or a "hold back" to block game so I've officially given up. Since HxC even called Oklahoma gamers "lazy" I'm just going to take his word for it and not even attempt to talk about the pros of MK. Besides, I don't really feel like driving outside of the state to play in a 6 man tourney.

When I said lazy i'm meaning not going to show up to a place every night. Now every month or bi monthly yes. You have to help your community and not give up on it. I'm not. I"m hosting another next month.
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

Offline TheTrillz

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile

When I said lazy i'm meaning not going to show up to a place every night. Now every month or bi monthly yes. You have to help your community and not give up on it. I'm not. I"m hosting another next month.

That's cool but let me ask you, how can one "help" the community? I can understand posting on specialty sites for MK like TRMK, TYM, and MKU for local gamers but the responses are extremely limited, and if they do respond they are WAAY too lazy to leave the online realm. I mean really, I can't mind control them and say "OH YOU MUST ATTEND A LOCAL TOURNEY, ONLINE IS CRAP!!!", I really can't do that. Also how can I convince people from other genres to play MK9? What post on here and SRK and say I want to host a monthly or bi-monthly? Oh for sure, I'm certain I can invite half a dozen SSFIV, Marvel, and even HALO players and we can have a sit down at my mamma's house and "test our mights" all freaking night, heck maybe I can have my mamma run to the store and provide juiceboxes and hotpockets just in case we all get hungry... Come on, get real! Rev tried that weekly thing for about 2 months and no one besides me and some other guy(sorry I can't think of his name right now) showed up. I mean heck look at the MK weekly threads, we pimped that thing out over here and on TYM and on a good night there maybe 1 other person I would play besides Rev.

I know I'm coming across like an a$# but I'm just being honest, if you have any great ideas that can pull in the local homegrown players I'm all ears. I've done about everything besides put up a pot to grow a MK9 community.

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
All the stuff you are talking about Saif, Sars, Solidus, and Myself have done. You should just join HxC and I will teach you the ways of the darkside!

Seriously I know man.. do you know over the past 3 months I've came across 50 different MK9 players? 20 people played in the mk9 tnt event. We have to just do things differently. Saif and I wanted to hit GameStops midnight launches. But the difficult part is convincing serious guys like Trillz to help his community and pass out flyers.. so what if they dont show up.. someone will and when a trend is created people follow. Dont give up on your game. Just keep passing out flyers talking about OKgamers, mention HxC sponsorships their ears will fly up and listen.
HxC LAN Center

Offline Animefreak6969

• OKgamer fo' life
  • YUM!
    • View Profile
It's really just the curse of living in OK lol

Offline rev

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
From my bajillion years of gaming experience, half of which was competitive, I'm going more with Tim on this.  When I lived in po-dunk east texas, you could EASILY get a group of 6 or more people to play any game.  In fact, there wasn't "oh, I'm a fan boy of this, I will only play this series," everyone was interested in whatever people would play because of community (and not jack else to do).

I move to Oklahoma, its broken up into cliques right off the bat and no one will budge in any direction.  2d and 3d were broken up.  Then 3d was broken up between Tekken and Soul Calibur and would laugh in the face of each other and anything 3d that's not Tekken and SC.  I will admit that I began to fall into this mindset.  After the big fight scene died down, its virtually impossible to find a group of 3 or more people who are willing to play offline, willing to meet up at someone's house, or willing to travel.  This brings me to my "hatred of console and the internet because it destroyed local community" rant, but that's another discussion all together.

If you want to have a competitive community, monthly is asinine.  You're basically saying you will only have REAL offline practice 12 times a year.  Being that offline and online play are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT with fighting games, you are really digging yourself a hole if you plan on doing anything more than casual.

I don't want to be negative about the situation because I tried really ♥♥♥♥♥ hard to have an MK community in Tulsa, but it is what it is.  When it comes to gaming, OK is pretty lazy.  I can say this because I've had the liberty of living and playing in other areas, seeing how community works there, and I can honestly say the glass is half empty on this one.

This rant only applies to the Fighting game community though.  Some communities are fortunate enough (console fps) that their game play is almost the same offline as it is online (console fps's have lag compensation and medium auto-aim for those who didn't know), so that not playing with a soul and doing well will probably mean you'll still do well in offline play.

So yes, Steven, be pissed.  We tried hard.  I worked on foot for 2-3 months, going to all the local area tournament, posting all over local area forums on major Game Forums and Local Game Forums, I went to several video game stores and put out the word, attended several game nights for other games, etc.  and I know you scoured the internet and the online scene, but people refused to get off their ♥♥♥ to play offline or just thought of the game as 2nd rate and didn't wanna put in the time. There was definitely wasn't a lack of try, just no interest.

I'm done with MK anyways.  My last month of playing, I really began to see all the duct tape holding the pretty package together and there's no real sign of any real improvements with the use of 3d hit boxes in a 2d game creating unreliable hit responses from the game, the release of DLC characters that are unbalanced and the knee-jerk reaction to nerf some stuff, buff other stuff, and in the process create more bugs in the game by NRS.  It wouldn't surprise me if the game disappeared from the tournament scene in the next year or two.  That being said, I still enjoyed playing it, but the lack of local interest just made the game more unappealing.

Again, it is what it is...  my suggestion to you now, Steven, is find whatever game people ARE playing, and just play that one, even if its one you don't enjoy as much, get in with that group of people, and then maybe you can open them up to other games.

Offline TheTrillz

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
I'm done with MK anyways.  My last month of playing, I really began to see all the duct tape holding the pretty package together and there's no real sign of any real improvements with the use of 3d hit boxes in a 2d game creating unreliable hit responses from the game, the release of DLC characters that are unbalanced and the knee-jerk reaction to nerf some stuff, buff other stuff, and in the process create more bugs in the game by NRS.  It wouldn't surprise me if the game disappeared from the tournament scene in the next year or two.  That being said, I still enjoyed playing it, but the lack of local interest just made the game more unappealing.

That is another reason why I'm giving up on the game. The inconsistently of the wake ups and the wonky hit boxes really are off putting. I can give a perfect example from this event. I was fighting a Kano and whenever I did Sektor's EX uppercut he was able to block AND punish me with a up ball, according to the "experts" that shouldn't happen. Also hearing that since hits don't trade that the beginning of every round the game randomizes jumping kick and punch advantage? That is crazy!

Anyways, I can tell you were probably rolling your eyes the entire time reading my rant but I just had to let it out. I freaking loved MK9 but the inconsistent fundamentals, unbalanced characters, and constant nerfing, made me not only give up offline but online as well. In retrospect I don't blame other fighting game fanatics for not wanting to pick up MK9. I mean heck, the the game is inconsistent. If someone picked up the game right now and were to look up videos on character fundamentals they could easily be mislead and annoyed wondering why this works in the video from 2 months back but not now. Those constant fluxes of nerfs and buffs has made picking up multiple characters more of a tedious chore due to the fact that you would have to shift and poke around MK sites to see patch notes and hopefully updated info for the characters post patch.

Really this tourney was the last straw, I went there not expecting a ton of competition but to at least have this game get some sort of exposure but came into see it put downstairs and left off like the red headed step child. Anyone can say that all it takes is to put in footwork or posting up a pot but tbh that would be the wrong reasons and would only be temporary.

Anyways, long story short, MK9 is dead to me. I'll just wait for Tekken Tag, oh wait... never mind.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 04:41:34 pm by TheTrillz »

Offline rev

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
Lol, I was grinning the entire time because someone else felt my pain.

Offline Animefreak6969

• OKgamer fo' life
  • YUM!
    • View Profile
Lol im currently heading over to a house for the 2nd time this week, to play SF4, a game i dont play at all.  That's how awesome i am.

And also, we have/had a Tekken scene still so if TTT2 hits i know some will be all over it.

Offline Affinity

• learned the ropes
  • [<o>]
    • View Profile
    • Affinity's Youtube
  • XBL ID: Affinity2412

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
Results??

Will post soon.
Define "soon."
Affinity.. did you come?

Rev I'm sorry I disagree with both of you. But I agree on the level of difficulty.. heres why.. Rev I'm sorry bro but you are not pushing in the right areas. Cliques boy are you right... its like people wont come out of their shell with their community they are in.. me I encourage my shooters to go to gxc, tnt, and wcs even Gflo's tournament when for some reason they dont like okgamers. But people dont do it for HxC. So what I do? I get gamertags, emails, and phone numbers. You have to alert people of things that they are missing out.

If you dig and dig and dig... you will find lil events like https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=130063977082895
Another mvc3 tournament but 0 are okgamers.com members. Other fighters is out there but you got to convince them to come out.

No worries im going to this tournament getting everyone's phone number email and gamertag... statistically only half will play again but you know what that 4 more players.
HxC LAN Center