Author Topic: PC Gaming Dead in OK?  (Read 10108 times)

Offline anreill

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
PC Gaming Dead in OK?
« on: October 12, 2011, 10:23:46 am »
I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a lot of PC talk anywhere these days so I thought I'd ask about this. As some of you probably know I'm the PR guy for the Oklahoma Gamer's Group (www.okgg.org) a monthly PC LAN party in Oklahoma City. I've kept our listing fairly up on the event schedule here for the last six months or so, but we've only gotten a couple people to come out for it.

So basically my curiousity comes down to:
Are there still PC gamers in Oklahoma or have we become a rare breed?
For those that are PC gamers, why are you/aren't you interested in attending a LAN party?

Basically I'm just trying to figure out if there's still a PC gamer crowd of decent size out there and if so, what we need to do to draw you guys to the LAN.

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
Re: PC Gaming Dead in OK?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 11:13:47 am »
No its not.. the problem is.. too many cliques. Also no one talking about the communities that are involved. I tell people about the OKGG events I'm actually a member of but I dont pc game.. I just support gaming. I would like to talk to you about something that would help OKgamers and OKgg out alot. DM me your number.
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

Offline mmmapplesauce

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: mmapplesauce321
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 09:22:58 pm »
Yeah PC gaming was alive and kicking in OK back in the day..

TulsaLAN every month pulling in 20-60 people a month

Atomic Mods and their branch of gamers (10-20) who played frequently, whatever happened to Arlen, Grant and all those (OLD) guys that played RTCW?

PC Extreme LAN in Lawton, OK was fun as ♥♥♥♥♥, like 100-200 gamers the couple years they did it.

There is something about these newer games that just aren't as much fun on LAN as the old ones. Or maybe it was living with dial-up internet access and looking forward to some lag-free gaming every month and opportunity it presented itself.

Not sure what it was, but I know a lot of us who were heavily into the PC gaming scene grew up but something changed. Most recent LAN's I have been too the games are so splintered. A handful in CoD, handful in Battlefield, handful in something more obscure.

Used to we just played whatever new came out for a few hours TOGETHER. Everyone just wanted to pack as many of us into a server as we could fit, then frag away. Now, I feel as if most people have the mentality that if we're not playing my game of choice I'm not going to play.

I guess bottom line the fun feels like its been sucked out of it. Before I would be happy to tear down my rig, truck it to a LAN, set it up, break it down again and bring it back inside in the wee hours of the AM because of all the fun I was guaranteed. Lately, the work has not been worth the fun returned at LAN parties.

/whine nostalgia fest

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: furyswrath
  • XBL ID: furyswrath
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 10:33:38 pm »
Yea man Back in the Day it was AWESOME. we used to come to a wearhouse here in OKC and there where 60 / 100 People depending on the day easy for lans.  So Much Fun..

But with the Internet.. And Lazy Kids no one wants to Haul their PC Around with them.  And Every time a new game comes out it usually requires a new Video Card. 200 bucks later. 

But Imma work with Timmy.  And We are gonna see if we can get something going PC Wise.  Ive got my System back up to Spec to handle most any game.

Im Old school  Quake / UT Player   I Do Play alot online via Quake Live..   And recently broke out UT3 But I do Perfer the Original and 2004 editions. I Just bought Halo 2 for PC gonna give it a Whirl..   and Im going to Buy Black OPs for the PC and check it out as well.

Just have to see how it goes But I Think Timmy and I Can Spark something up sometime.

Offline cravix

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 12:50:07 am »
It doesnt help when companies like blizzard decided to make big titles like Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 non-lanable.

The difference between a liberal and a conservative is that the liberal will ask you to vote republican while a conservative gives facts and asks for you to decide

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 03:19:23 pm »
It doesnt help when companies like blizzard decided to make big titles like Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 non-lanable.

Good point but still there is the internet.. So i'm going over a plan.. im going to show it to fury then OKgg and get something rolling.
HxC LAN Center

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 02:50:15 am »

Well, much like Timmy, I drop the OKGG message a lot at recruiting events, and public speaking in Tulsa - so there is interest...

The problem is since your group only meets where it does and it's far enough away from Tulsa, they usually don't get too much more excited... 

I wouldn't say completely dead though - OKgamers is working with a group to help out in Sapupla for  LAN / fighters / shooters event - so it just comes down to finding the groups, and pointing them towards OKgamers to network.

I appreciate you keeping your LAN event as current as possible - as gamers can see PC gaming DOES HAPPEN. 

As for other cities like Tulsa - we just have to wait for a group to be found, or spring up and want to promote it. 

...I have a long standing commitment - if you are a group wanting to grow, OKgamers will work with you, promote you, and even offer promotional events in the cities we can to come out and work with in tandem - because we DO WANT to serve PC gamers, even if we can hardly ever find PC events that want to grow / promote to PC gamers :)

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline anreill

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 03:34:25 pm »

We simply started hosting our LAN at a data center to negate this issue. We usually just jump into a random server as a group and play. Had eight people playing SC2 at the October LAN no problem (Other than me getting my butt kicked over and over.)

We also buy server hosting occasionally. One of the other guys ran a BC2 server for several months. I hosted a Black Ops one for about six months and have a BF3 64-slot preordered.

The crazy thing is that we have gotten to be small and extremely close knit in the OKGG. There are really only about 8 of us that are guaranteed to be there but it's always fun regardless. We had a couple of regulars bring friends for this last LAN and all three of the "new" guys are already signed up for the November LAN.

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: furyswrath
  • XBL ID: furyswrath
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:16:55 pm »

We simply started hosting our LAN at a data center to negate this issue. We usually just jump into a random server as a group and play. Had eight people playing SC2 at the October LAN no problem (Other than me getting my butt kicked over and over.)

We also buy server hosting occasionally. One of the other guys ran a BC2 server for several months. I hosted a Black Ops one for about six months and have a BF3 64-slot preordered.

The crazy thing is that we have gotten to be small and extremely close knit in the OKGG. There are really only about 8 of us that are guaranteed to be there but it's always fun regardless. We had a couple of regulars bring friends for this last LAN and all three of the "new" guys are already signed up for the November LAN.

I will try and Make one of your Group Lans. I have a PC now that can keep up with everyone now.   Problem is I have so much on my plate its hard to get away. But I will make a Point to show up to sign up and show up at one.

Offline Chance

• Familiar Face
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: Gear_Jammer89
  • XBL ID: metalmusic89
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 06:21:53 pm »
im a pc gamer, i game on 360, ps3 also, but mainly pc, ive never attended any lan parties or anything, i do live in oklahoma, but i just registered on this site a week or so ago looking for more pc gamers aswell, all pc gamers pm me and let me know what all games u guys play and ill see if i cant game along with u, not too big on hauling my pc around either, btw add me on 360 and ps3 also if possible:

GT is metalmusic89
PSN is Gear_Jammer89

Looking forward to hearing from u guys

Offline ttully77

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 11:41:03 pm »
I have a close group of friends including about 10 of us that are mostly all more than casual PC gamers. We usually just play/lan together but thought about attend all or any events okgg has but just haven't gone through with it or been busy. Its not totally dead here just un organized as most PC gaming is now days, feels dead if it hasn't been dying for a bit now anyways.

Offline ttully77

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 11:49:48 pm »
After reading in this whole thread, I think Ill bring up the LANs to my friends again. Knowing there is only 8 of you most of time, any amount of us would help contribute more than I thought. At the  least I would always probably have 4 or 5 willing to attend monthly.  We have been around awhile having small LANS and going to QuakeCon every year but, always just been of a group of close Edmond friends mostly.

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 12:43:12 pm »
After reading in this whole thread, I think Ill bring up the LANs to my friends again. Knowing there is only 8 of you most of time, any amount of us would help contribute more than I thought. At the  least I would always probably have 4 or 5 willing to attend monthly.  We have been around awhile having small LANS and going to QuakeCon every year but, always just been of a group of close Edmond friends mostly.

Thank you... what games do you guys play?
HxC LAN Center

Offline Paradox

• Familiar Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 01:27:54 pm »
Perhaps a group could be formed in Tulsa that holds their LAN on the same exact day at the same exact time. Then big screen TV could be setup and each side could stream the main LAN area to the other. So the Tulsa guys will see most the OKC area and the Tulsa gamers will see most of the Tulsa gaming area. Then get everyone on TS3/Vent server. Its not in person but its the next best thing.

Just an idea.

Offline ttully77

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 06:09:17 pm »

Thank you... what games do you guys play?

We play everything... but we really tend to stick to about 4 series, League of Legnds, Call of Duty, Quake Live and WoW.