Author Topic: PC Gaming Dead in OK?  (Read 10110 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
Re: PC Gaming Dead in OK?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 06:36:09 am »

Well - I am officially renewed on this concept of PC gamers :)

A - there were more PC gamers than console gamers at the Battlefield 3 Launch in OKC.

B - The Tulsa Barcraft event filled the place - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150469863140170&set=a.10150175378220170.348125.200177120169&type=1&theater

C - 1/21 - The Sapulpa Central Tech event had over 300 people last year, and was almost entirely PC only - we are working with them this year to make it even bigger!!  Planning thread here:  http://www.okgamers.com/forums/index.php/topic,3810.0.html

D - 2/25 - The OKgamers 6yr anniversary event MIGHT have SC2 / LoL at it...  LoL - depends on how they show up to the Sapulpa Central Tech event: prove you exist, we'll talk.  As for SC2 - the group that threw the Barcraft and I are in discussions about which event would be better to work with, etc, etc.  As for the 6yr - it's got Console, Tabletop and CCG already - so PC would make it the FULL DEAL!@#  Planning thread for that:  http://www.okgamers.com/forums/index.php/topic,3701.0.html

A lot of changes in a few months - but that's how things go!!

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Paradox

• Familiar Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 08:33:28 pm »
Perhaps we should make some game nights. For example BF3 on Tuesday nights, LOL on Thursday night. Then get as many people together at each other houses as possible. Or game from your own home alone. Ideal though you grab 2-3 of your buddies have them swing buy and play some games for 2-3 to 5-6 hours on specific nights. Everyone get on the same vent/ts/skype and into the same servers.

Just an idea.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 07:56:49 pm »
Perhaps we should make some game nights. For example BF3 on Tuesday nights, LOL on Thursday night. Then get as many people together at each other houses as possible. Or game from your own home alone. Ideal though you grab 2-3 of your buddies have them swing buy and play some games for 2-3 to 5-6 hours on specific nights. Everyone get on the same vent/ts/skype and into the same servers.

Just an idea.

Well, and with as good as internet gaming is, why not just make a PC gamer virtual night?  BF3 on Tuesday nights - online?  Etc, etc?

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: furyswrath
  • XBL ID: furyswrath
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 07:32:12 pm »

Just an idea.

Well, and with as good as internet gaming is, why not just make a PC gamer virtual night?  BF3 on Tuesday nights - online?  Etc, etc?

X A

im Working on some Details.  And You gave me the PERFECT Working Saif..      Thanks :)  Virtual  Game Night.     Working on getting a Teamspeak Server and such to support a semi-Heavy Load.   Details to come.

Offline iRioX

• Familiar Face
  • Yah Got Domed Kid.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Maker
  • XBL ID: RRyox
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 10:18:43 pm »
PC gaming is not dead, but most people would rather just play together from home, instead of lugging their setup across the state. The passion for lanning has seemed to have died in most pc gamers. But trust me we are out there, and there are numbers. If anyone hosted a lan worth going to and people showed face im sure it would be alot of fun!

Offline Chance

• Familiar Face
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: Gear_Jammer89
  • XBL ID: metalmusic89
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 06:49:18 pm »
well said iRioX

Offline D3AD

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: all my tags: D3ADL
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 01:18:46 am »
im on nightly xD       and fury... no offense.. but TS3   sucks..... compared to vent... and skype is.. well its skype...   and i have a sever for vent we can all use...

The whole gaming night thing.. sounds awesome!!!!!!! but.. like was talking to you earlier about iriox  everyone lives sooooo far from ea other..  and to do something like that.. weekly? kinda expensive..

my suggestion would be.. everyone says home lol and we all play together.. run custom games for League.. or w/e games u play.. and have a regular time and day.. that works for people....

all tho i cant ever host anything =/    at the time being anyways..   but ya.. i can see everyone coming together like every 3 months.. or every month w/e.. and we just kinda thro a big party and play..

(not everyone owns a laptop....(desktop is to much trouble))    so thats another thing that prevents people.....

pc gaming is wayyyy diff then console gaming... console.. everyone has they same thing.. 360 or ps3 w/e and its easy to pack up and move.... vs pc well.. this guy has xp   this guy had vista... this guy has windows 7.. see the point.. i use a CRAP comp that barely runs LoL.. 15fps   lol.. thats bad...     but it works.. im used to it.. and pc gaming.... its not like 2 people can use the same screen xD lol.. but ya
Either be one of the best, or be dead like the rest

Offline Chozo

• Familiar Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 07:34:42 pm »
I play a ♥♥♥♥♥ of a lot of LoL. Occasionally I'll play some Minecraft, but that's about it. I'm mostly a console gamer.

Offline 23rd_letter_assasin

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: Tracy_UNO
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 04:01:49 pm »
pc gaming isnt dead. the need for people to come together to play it in person. is......

that goes for all other gaming as well.
i guess a gif of Quan Chi's beat down fatality would be against site rules. so picture me standing over you with a mannequin leg waiting for you to look over your shoulder.....

Offline k1DBLITZ

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
    • blog.k1DBLITZ.com
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 09:46:36 pm »
My sentiments exactly... I can't quite put my finger on it... but something changed....

Sometimes I think it did have a lot to do with wanting to play a lag free game during dial up days.... part of it I attribute to people getting married and having kids which demolishes the PC upgrade fund.

Or perhaps MMORPGs killed LAN parties...

Yeah PC gaming was alive and kicking in OK back in the day..

TulsaLAN every month pulling in 20-60 people a month

Atomic Mods and their branch of gamers (10-20) who played frequently, whatever happened to Arlen, Grant and all those (OLD) guys that played RTCW?

PC Extreme LAN in Lawton, OK was fun as ♥♥♥♥♥, like 100-200 gamers the couple years they did it.

There is something about these newer games that just aren't as much fun on LAN as the old ones. Or maybe it was living with dial-up internet access and looking forward to some lag-free gaming every month and opportunity it presented itself.

Not sure what it was, but I know a lot of us who were heavily into the PC gaming scene grew up but something changed. Most recent LAN's I have been too the games are so splintered. A handful in CoD, handful in Battlefield, handful in something more obscure.

Used to we just played whatever new came out for a few hours TOGETHER. Everyone just wanted to pack as many of us into a server as we could fit, then frag away. Now, I feel as if most people have the mentality that if we're not playing my game of choice I'm not going to play.

I guess bottom line the fun feels like its been sucked out of it. Before I would be happy to tear down my rig, truck it to a LAN, set it up, break it down again and bring it back inside in the wee hours of the AM because of all the fun I was guaranteed. Lately, the work has not been worth the fun returned at LAN parties.

/whine nostalgia fest
blog.k1DBLITZ.com
liquidpalooza.teamlqd.com

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 01:10:24 am »

Because Compy has stepped up as a Community Lead, we've added Starcraft 2 to the Promotional Event lineup at TCC Metro's 6yr Anniversary...

...if we see support - we'll carry this forwards, maybe even be able to expand into LoL, etc.  If not, well.  We tried.  Ball, your court :)

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline compy286

• Familiar Face
  • "By the numbers, boys."
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 05:04:49 pm »
Perhaps a group could be formed in Tulsa that holds their LAN on the same exact day at the same exact time. Then big screen TV could be setup and each side could stream the main LAN area to the other. So the Tulsa guys will see most the OKC area and the Tulsa gamers will see most of the Tulsa gaming area. Then get everyone on TS3/Vent server. Its not in person but its the next best thing.

Just an idea.

I'm starting to get people together for starcraft 2 here in Tulsa. Our first tournament is Sunday. We would love to network with people and attend lans or play with other people weekly / monthly.

Anyone who is interested in helping to grow the PC Gaming scene in Tulsa, OK please contact with me. I would love to work with you.
Tulsa BarCraft - facebook.com/tulsabarcraft
Twitter - @BarCraftOK
Reddit - reddit.com/r/barcraftOK

Offline D3AD

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: all my tags: D3ADL
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 05:16:06 am »

Because Compy has stepped up as a Community Lead, we've added Starcraft 2 to the Promotional Event lineup at TCC Metro's 6yr Anniversary...

...if we see support - we'll carry this forwards, maybe even be able to expand into LoL, etc.  If not, well.  We tried.  Ball, your court :)

X A

hey.. as long as TCC Metro has internet connection.. and will allow us to connect to the game servers.. then yes we can get enough League players out there.... thats the only reason why we didnt play SC2 or LoL at Tech Con.. they do not have offline servers..
Either be one of the best, or be dead like the rest

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 06:01:26 am »

X A

hey.. as long as TCC Metro has internet connection.. and will allow us to connect to the game servers.. then yes we can get enough League players out there.... thats the only reason why we didnt play SC2 or LoL at Tech Con.. they do not have offline servers..

D3AD - close.

First off, there's the little issues of CONFIRMING the ports / gateway issues don't exist, etc...  THAT is actually what killed us with Sapulpa as I know it.

And second, the problem with the TCC event - we've never had LOL or SC2 events in Tulsa; while Compy will be having an event shortly before 2/25 this weekend, that won't "for sure" give us an idea of turn out, etc.  Right now we aren't sure how many will even show up, how many will help with PC's to help us "potluck" the tournament through hardware use for the event, etc.  A lot of unknowns to deal with; we don't take that lightly.

We don't want to over do it, have too many show up and support neither; etc.  Thus we are testing the waters with SC2; if it goes well, then we can talk LoL, etc.

Third - LoL has no Community Lead; that really hurts any potential of a long lasting solution with OKgamers Promotional Events and LoL until someone steps up.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline theimmortalmoo

• Familiar Face
    • View Profile
    • My clan
  • XBL ID: immortal moo
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 12:57:13 pm »
I've been in charge of a few Lan Parties down in OSU Okmulgee, usually about 20-30 people show up.
We usually have about 1/3'rd of the people just play WoW, and don't participate in the Tournments/Contests/ group games.

I'll be happy to make all events that I can, working weekends can really make it hard to come to Events, I have a Gaming Laptop and Desktop, I'll still iffy on bringing both - allowing someone to use my personal computer I am very "iffy" to the Idea of.

My personal Game interests-
COD 4- Pro mod, BF3, SCII, LoL, Quake, CnC 3.
My steam Profile:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/theimmortalmoo