Author Topic: Tulsa - Thursday Game Nights - SC / SSB / yea  (Read 128469 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
Re: Tulsa - Thursday Game Nights - SC / SSB / yea
« Reply #615 on: May 30, 2011, 04:17:32 am »
♥♥♥♥♥ the thread his 41 pages long. nice.

I live near 51st and Sheridan myself, I noticed this thread started in 2007, You guys still get together ? Thats kind of awesome.

It's all upon the back of the game we love.  Right now - we don't have one - so no, it's not happening :)

There is a MK group that has sprung up, you can hit them up for some FG love.

As for the one this thread was started for; until SSB is loved again / MK is banned or a new game like SC5 restarts it, we are probably pretty dead.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Solidus

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: SolidusSpriggan
« Reply #616 on: May 30, 2011, 04:35:52 am »
Were still getting decent turnouts for Brawl monthlies! Holla! So having Tulsa meetups would actually be useful, since people would have a place to utilize their skills once a month. Our good players fund will also help them travel out of state!

SSB was probably never loved, its kinda like that girlfriend you thought you loved in Jr. High (fickle, shallow, and never putting out)! Banning MK won't fix the thoughtlessly broken base mechanics of the title, which are ultimately what ended up discouraging competition.

Brawl Doubles tend to be more interesting than singles, and are less dominated by metaknight solely, maybe host some doubles crew battles.
You could try to get people bored with Brawl into Melee, worked well in Norman/Metro.
Project M might be another reinvigorating alternative.

All Smash is Legacy right now, I doubt a new one will be made so it would probably be worth maintaining Melee and Brawl communities.

The release of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 should also be something you might want to consider supporting in Tulsa meetups.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 30, 2011, 04:52:29 am »
SSB was never loved, its hated by all who play it! Banning MK won't fix the thoughtlessly broken base mechanics of the title, which are ultimately what ended up discouraging competition.

You could try to get people bored with Brawl into Melee, worked well in Norman/Metro.
Project M might be another reinvigorating alternative.

The release of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 should also be something you might want to consider supporting in Tulsa meetups.

I'd have to disagree on a lot of that :)  Sure - in Norman it was never loved, but I know I've talked to plenty of smashers that LOVED Brawl, and either hated Melee, or would "never go back" - so it's kind of a rough place there.

As for MK - I really think anyone who doesn't hate MK - hasn't had enough MK :)  After Josh picking him up, and traveling to TX tournaments - there is no use playing SSBB seriously until the rules ban MK, or I start to enjoy - MK :)  That's my personal opinion, but one that is shared by several I've ran into.

Project M - is a hack?  Any Hack - requires a lot of knowledge a head of time.  You aren't going to get huge waves of new players - you are going to cut up further what remaining players you have.  Unless something breakthrough happens, I just don't see it as a viable source of hope.

New games - are always a source of hope.  MK seems to be more viable with a new patch? 
I'd still like to give AH 3 a chance.
TTT2 - probably not a whole lot of love in Tulsa, but I'd hope to see OKC take it and run.  And in Tulsa - I'll support it as much as I run into any love for it I can find.

Otherwise - GoW3, and SC5 lol.  And whatever SF x TEKKEN / etc that happens.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Solidus

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 30, 2011, 05:10:22 am »
I'd have to disagree on a lot of that :)  Sure - in Norman it was never loved, but I know I've talked to plenty of smashers that LOVED Brawl, and either hated Melee, or would "never go back" - so it's kind of a rough place there.
Its kinda like that girlfriend you thought you loved in Jr. High (fickle, shallow, and never putting out)!
"I'll love you forever" And somewhere deep inside is a crazy adolescent ♥♥♥♥♥ (thats metaknight)
Having 2 girlfriends at that time sometimes helped, this is to say that I recommend playing Brawl Doubles, which tends to be a little more exciting than singles and has strong support in the community.

"Never" is a long time, most people have gotten over that, like 90% of the extant Melee scene played Brawl at one time or another and went back.

Project M, you have to see it not as a divisive force, but rather one that reinvigorates interest in smash in general. Like I said, Smash games are legacy titles, and the homebrew scene is really gaining alot of momemntum right now, so they are worth considering and supporting. These might be the future of smash if the games end up being evolutionary dead ends. The vast majority of players that I talk to at smash events think very highly of Project M. The full game isn't released yet, but the demo has been more than impressive.
As for requiring special knowledge, it doesn't require anymore knowledge than playing any other smash title.

Because of the PSN store being down, its unfortunate that AH3 has been unavailable for download. This really put a hamper on what was a huge burgeoning community (that was even bigger than BlazBlue for some reason) we had over 15 people playing just in my area but we still only have 2 setups. Its a tragedy, so support it as well as you can. Homingcancel.com for metagame and community info.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 30, 2011, 02:23:06 pm »

Ignoring Hilde for so long - is what broke SC4's community, in many ways.
Ignoring MK for as long as they have - is what has put the tombstone up on SSBB; but if you guys only listen to "tournament winners" - that's like asking crack-fiends to be their own councilors, it just isn't going to stop.

It's been a bit since we had a large SSBB event in Tulsa - but leading up to that - never was holding pretty solid.  Dunno  - you helped run the only Melee event we've had in Tulsa in a long time - and that turn out was less than the SSBB event right?  That supports my statements, does it not?  Or?

Project M - don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to take off.  I'm just not evangelizing - I'm being level headed and reflecting on reality.  If you can't go grab a game off a shelf and play it - you just aren't going to "Fall into it" and then the community, etc.  And only so many people will try it - who have already been Smashers - so yea.  Fractions here, not growth imo.

PSN has hurt AH3 - fo sho.  I'd like to see it get a good shot at life.  Thanks for the link!

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Solidus

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 30, 2011, 05:27:03 pm »
It's been a bit since we had a large SSBB event in Tulsa - but leading up to that - never was holding pretty solid.  Dunno  - you helped run the only Melee event we've had in Tulsa in a long time - and that turn out was less than the SSBB event right?  That supports my statements, does it not?  Or?
X A

Only by an insignificant margin 18 Melee, 21 Brawl. Thats an 86% popularity ratio.
Considering were talking about a game thats over 10 years old and requires significantly higher technical investment, and were in Oklahoma with a small player base, thats very good staying power.

Of course I knock Brawl all the time cause I'm a cranky old man, but I admit that it takes alot of work to play that game competitively so it can be impressive to watch good players go at it as long as they aren't timing someone out!
Anyway I'm really enjoying seeing the Tulsa people every month, I hope the more tulsa players make it down to monthlies as the school year kicks into gear.