Author Topic: OKgamers.com And 1800Volunteer.org helps Gamers get Volunteer Service Hours!  (Read 31645 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
UPDATE::

1800volunteer.org - is going away.  For TCC and other students, it already has.
Tulsa Volunteer Central - is now Volunteer Tulsa... 
So - www.volunteertulsa.org - has taken over.

We haven't updated the write up here, but in gist:

Volunteers - create or log in to your old 1800 accounts via www.volunteertulsa.org

If you have not been on since July, you can call Volunteer Tulsa and they will reactivate it.

Your username is now a volunteer's full email address - so the email address that was in 1800 is now your username.

Has your email changed?  Call Volunteer Tulsa.
If any questions at all, call Volunteer Tulsa!
Volunteer Tulsa:  918.447.1888

Looking for us on VT.org?  Here is our "Organization" page - http://www.volunteertulsa.org/HOC__Organization_Profile_Page?oid=001A000000iPZt1

--

And that's what we know!  We'll get this old 1800 content updated later, for now though, you know what to do!

- Saif aka X A for the Tulsa area

(OKC and Stillwater area's are still pursuing volunteering opportunities at this time.  Know the right people to talk to?  Drop us a line via our contact form, etc!)

-- OLD CONTENT BELOW THIS LINE --

We at OKgamers.com are PROUD to present another way we are helping gamers in the Oklahoma area! 

Why OKgamers cares about helping students:
In the process of originally outlining OKgamers core values, we reviewed ways we could directly help out the average gamer as they go through college, and deal with the obstacles in life.  Once we established our volunteer staff we started helping provide real life experience managing and working with people, to organizing events, and really setup ways for people to get around that 'catch 22' of needing experience for your first job and resume.

Now we are proud to announce we are furthering our efforts in helping the community and gamers even more!

OKgamers.com partners with 1800Volunteer.org to provide students in the Tulsa and OKC area's a way to help gamers and local businesses, all while getting their community service hours!  That's right - visit 1800Volunteer.org, search for "OKgamers.com" and either Tulsa, or Oklahoma City, and work with OKgamers as we help organize gaming events and tournaments!  You get your hours of serving the community, and we offer more businesss another reason to have more tournaments and events - additional people to help organize and run their gaming!

Currently Supported Colleges:
Tulsa - Tulsa Community College (TCC), OSU-Tulsa
OKC - OU, UCO

High School, etc?  See below.

What would I be doing for my hours?
It simply depends on when you can help, and what position you request.  If your helping with tournament staff - you might help with setup, tear down, finding gamers during a tournament, and any basic to helping the event run smoothly.  Another position?  Would simply have the description in the task listed on 1800Volunteer!

I'm a Tulsa Achieves Student - is this for me?
Actually, you are one of the types of students we've worked with most!  We know "free college" came with the strings of grade points, and community service, and can help out!  Check out 1800Volunteer.org, and knock out your hours helping improve Oklahoma!  The more events we help with, the more fun we all have!

Not in one of these cities, or going to a different college or school?
As an official source for these colleges through 1800Volunteer.org, we've found Union High School of Tulsa, and several other schools have recognized us as well as a source for volunteer hours!  So, if you're not going to a school listed?  Simply approach your councilor about the site, our efforts and who has already approved us, and allow them to approve us on a case by case basis.  Also, if you would, ask them to consider us a permanent solution for approval, so we can add them to the official list and help more students!

What if I don't want to be "OKgamers staff" / What if I just want to do this one time?
Staff - is for those really wanting to help out long term - no one that helps out through Volunteer Central is required to be on staff, or have active forum involvement - all we ask is to use the 1800volunteer system to contact us!  See more below on 'how'.  As for one timers - there are no long term commitments to working with us - one time or multiple, we appreciate the help, and that we can help you out! 

HOW DO I SIGN UP!
In order for you to get your hours, you must visit 1800Volunteer.org and sign up for an account.   Then preform a search for "OKgamers.com" and Tulsa, or Oklahoma City looking for our current events.  Once you find one, express interest!  If we've worked with you before, we'll automatically approve you.  If your a first timer, we'll be giving you a call to talk a bit before moving forwards - no biggie, just like to talk with potential volunteers first.  That's it!  You show up when you can, leave when you want to, and get your hours! 

(This assumes once again you're a TCC or other college student - if you're a high schooler or in a system that doesn't work with 1800volunteer.org you need to consult with your teachers about working with OKgamers first.  Give us a head's up through the contact form, etc and we'll fill you in on what time you'll need to show up, etc.  We'll sign whatever paperwork we need to after the event to make sure you get your hours!)

See an event on OKgamers and not on 1800volunteer yet? Contact us using the links below, and we'll make sure we get it submitted for you, or let you know why it's not listed. 

I want to help out - but I don't need community service hours.
1800Volunteer.org is a great way for students to get their community service helping the gaming community, however if you simply want to help out, and don't need community service hours, please join our volunteer staff!  If your looking to help with just one event, approach us through that event's thread, otherwise if your down for helping overall, our staff is for you!

More questions?  Simply post!   I'm over Tulsa, and TH3 R3ligion covers our OKC efforts, and we keep constant tabs on this thread.  Oh, and please DO use the forum - we keep all the info on here to be a resource, and don't want to repeat it to everyone over the phone, or IM ;)

Is this your first time volunteering?  It's a great way to get experience ahead of time.  Concerned about being professional?  We are a pretty laid back group, but a good read on checking up on the common mistakes are here - check out this article from Monster.  For me, the Email one hit home for a few of the gamers I know :)

( Are you a business looking for help? Our staff work with consulting, organizing, and helping businesses run events to help spread the word about OKgamers, and giving our community more things to do!  First off PM me to let me know you are a business, let us get you your forum account business status, and work with us in the business forums on how we can help your next event! )

Spread the word - OKgamers is helping gamers get their community service hours all while helping out our community be better for gamers!

X A
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:56:40 pm by X_A »
Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Typ_EX

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
This is actually a really good idea.  Hopefully somebody will post a thread whenever something gets up there.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
This is actually a really good idea.  Hopefully somebody will post a thread whenever something gets up there.

Well, it simply depends on the event.  Right now there are plenty of things for the Tulsa area.  OKC is working with several groups and will have posted opportunities soon.  Usually when we post about needing help in the staff forums, it's going up in the 1800Volunteer.org site as well, so...  Either keep tabs on the .org, or join staff?  One thing I haven't reviewed is what sort of 'email me when' options exist on the 1800v site; something you might wanna review, and let us know if you find anything!

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Typ_EX

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
I've actually wanted to join staff since I first started entering in the melee tournies, but the staff looked like a bunch of halo people.  And if memory serves me correctly, there were very few meetings anyway.  But now I am in another city.

Well, it simply depends on the event.  Right now there are plenty of things for the Tulsa area.  OKC is working with several groups and will have posted opportunities soon.  Usually when we post about needing help in the staff forums, it's going up in the 1800Volunteer.org site as well, so...  Either keep tabs on the .org, or join staff?  One thing I haven't reviewed is what sort of 'email me when' options exist on the 1800v site; something you might wanna review, and let us know if you find anything!

X A

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile

We can use staff everywhere.  As the staff thread covers we do events in the Tulsa and OKC area's alot - but we also use the staff forums to guide where we are going, establish rule sets and discuss what events we are organizing, and get general feedback on OKgamers concepts.  For interaction on the forums, you wouldn't even technically need to live in Oklahoma.

So yea - feel free to go through the staff thread and see if your interested still.  We have people wanting to do events in your area, and staff works with both tourney's in their area and forum help, feedback, etc.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

chingchangboy

Re: Tulsa - Tokyo in Tulsa (console/lan/table-top) - August 1-3rd, 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 06:20:50 pm »
I know this is probably the wrong spot to put this reply, and i apologize =D, but my friend and I are looking for community service hours for school, possibly from TnT or Defcon and I've been on 1-800-volunteer to look at the volunteer opportunities and they all require a minimum age of 18.  Well heh, i'm 16, and my friend is 17 and i was wondering if there were any other opportunities for us.

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: eighty8keyes
Re: Tulsa - Tokyo in Tulsa (console/lan/table-top) - August 1-3rd, 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 06:34:52 pm »
I'm sure X_A can answer this particularly better than I can, but as for now OKgamers is working in conjunction with 1800Volunteers only. Later, I assume, if we are able to get with any other volunteer programs we will, but for the time being it's only the above mentioned.
GT: Eighty8keyes Haloez and anything else I might be playing.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile

ChingC - Rislone - moved your posts :)

Not in one of these cities, or going to a different college or school?
As an official source for these colleges through 1800Volunteer.org, we've found Union High School of Tulsa, and several other schools have recognized us as well as a source for volunteer hours!  So, if you're not going to a school listed?  Simply approach your councilor about the site, our efforts and who has already approved us, and allow them to approve us on a case by case basis.  Also, if you would, ask them to consider us a permanent solution for approval, so we can add them to the official list and help more students!

So that's my answer.  If you want to volunteer not through VC / 1800 however, you need to be OKgamers staff, or directly through the events.  Going through events - is best if you want to work with us one time - simply contact them, let them know you want to volunteer, and then go through our contact form so I have your info.  If your going to work with OKgamers again in the future, you'll need to be staff.  Staff have some rules / etc - so if your fine with them, we can go that route.  Simply click the staff link in this thread's first post to read up more.

Rislone - you are right, we are open to work with other organizations, but for now in order for them to not work with 1800, they'll need to go through the event it's self, or become staff.  I figured I'd move this as others might have the questions - afterall Lionheart wasn't 18 when he first started getting credit, and is actually one of the Union students I referenced. 

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline Spawnkiller

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
Oklahoma Community College has a really big area for a LAN. I always thought it would be cool to get one started there. Is there anyway possible that OCCC can be one the colleges?
May God have mercy on your video game character, cause I won't.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile

Just like with high schools, it's up to the new colleges and whether they'll either A - work with 1800volunteer, or B - acknowledge our hours.  You can talk to a counciler there to begin getting the answer to your question.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
Re: OKgamers.com And 1800Volunteer.org helps Gamers get Volunteer Service Hours!
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 01:28:05 pm »

UPATES MADE: 

Temporary as they may be, the info is accurate - and we'll get a new write up for it later.

Gist - 1800volunteer is gone for the Tulsa area, and going away period from what I've been told.

TulsaVolunteer.org = the way to go for Tulsa area students. 

Check it out, and we'll get the full 'hand holding' write up updated when we can!

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals