Author Topic: Remember "Net Neutrality"? Well, apparently AT&T has blocked img.4chan.org.  (Read 2241 times)

Offline godmode

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • XBL Gamertag = Oh My Godmode
    • View Profile
At the moment, it only seems to be blocked in SoCal. I personally do not post a whole lot on 4chan, generally only lurk and such, but this type of censorship cannot stand. I will cancel my AT&T if they censor in Oklahoma.

Most people think that 4chan is the cesspool of the internet. Whether they're right or not is irrelevant IMO. I suggest you all take a look at what's going on and make your own mind up on the matter.

Offline Crazd

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
Been reading up on this and it's pretty much nation wide now.  Florida and some other state seem to be the only ones largely unaffected. What's interesting though is from reports it seems to be mainly the DSL connections that are getting shafted.  iPhones, AT&T Mobility and their faster connections seem to be unaffected at this time.  

**Status Update**

Not sure on the validity of this, as does come from 4chan after all, but it appears that it isn't being censored as it is being blocked due to the high amount of bandwidth being used when the site gets DDoS'd.

"It's because the site is a constant target of DDOS attacks that were routed through AT&T servers. AT&T blocked it because their bandwidth was spiraling out of control. Spread the word. It's not about content, it's about AT&T's pocketbook."

Again, take that with a grain of salt.  So far nothing is confirmed other than AT&T is actually blocking access to the site. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 09:18:09 pm by Crazd »

Offline godmode

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
That is crap.

Offline Crazd

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
As of this post img.4chan.org is up and running for me.  Not sure if this is temporary or not, but there does seem to be improvement in the situation.  

**Update**

Update from moot.  Apparently all of 4chan is being blocked now. 

"Monday, July 27, 2009

Cogent Communications has joined the club—they're now blocking all of 4chan. I can't even access the site at this point.

We're working on it...

by moot @ 4:01 AM "

http://status.4chan.org 

Although /b/ appears to be up and running... somehow. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:20:52 am by Crazd »

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: furyswrath
  • XBL ID: furyswrath
Its back up and working.. It was only a Temp Ban for DoS.   

As long as they release the Ban after the problem is fixed I dont see a problem with it.  If one website is the "host" of an issue making the Internet for that ISP customers slower or impaired.. I think I can deal with a single website ban till the issue is resolved.

its when they ban it for no reason and wont release the ban and not tell you why is where Id have a problem.

Offline godmode

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
I agree. It would've been a lot easier had ATT at least issued a statement previous to the block

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: furyswrath
  • XBL ID: furyswrath
I agree. It would've been a lot easier had ATT at least issued a statement previous to the block

true,  But then look at the amount of ATT ISP Users VS Amount of ATT ISP Users who access XYZ Site.

Compare those numbers and thats like less than 1% off the Total ATT Users.  So would be a little waste of resources to notify all ATT Users about it.   Wouldnt make for a good Business decision.

Not trying to defend them or anything..  Just looking at the whole ordeal logically.