Author Topic: Any interest in tournaments in Oklahoma City?  (Read 7270 times)

CactusJack

Any interest in tournaments in Oklahoma City?
« on: January 25, 2007, 10:24:48 am »
I'm curious to know if there is any activity in Oklahoma City from the forum?  I noticed most every tournament announced on these forums is held in the Tulsa area.  I would love to host a tournament(s) in Oklahoma City, but am not sure how to market or run a tournament (but I'm willing to learn).

Any input or insight?

Offline Vegafuse

• Familiar Face
    • View Profile
Re: Any interest in tournaments in Oklahoma City?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 01:37:50 pm »
Super Smash Bros. Melee has a huge following in the OKC/Edmond/Norman area. It's very active and we could always use more tournaments in the general area. I can guarantee you about +30 players, not including the random walk-in nor OOSers (Out-Of-Staters).

Edit: By the way, are you in any relation to the Cactus Jack arcade?

SP

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 01:38:25 pm »
There is a GREAT interest in tournaments in Oklahoma City actually... well... for SSBM anyways. We have about twenty or thirty regulars that play each other frequently and a lot more that throughout the rest of the city. I can't tell you much about the other gaming scenes like halo or tekken, but I can tell you that the melee players in OKC would be more than welcome to attend any melee tournament you'd hold. Including the people from Norman/Edmond

And if you're interested, there are several (myself included) that know how to run a tournament and would be glad to help you do so. Hope this helps

SP

sykotik

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 04:31:26 pm »
there's probably just as much halo players in okc as tulsa, just no tourneys so you don't hear bout them.

But I'm from Chandler and my team will gladly go to a tourney in OKC

GKU MAD SANTA

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 06:58:11 pm »
go to lanparty.normanlan.com they have tournaments but they are in norman and if you drive to OKC i think you could go to norman

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 07:48:56 pm »
I'm curious to know if there is any activity in Oklahoma City from the forum?  I noticed most every tournament announced on these forums is held in the Tulsa area.  I would love to host a tournament(s) in Oklahoma City, but am not sure how to market or run a tournament (but I'm willing to learn).

Any input or insight?

Hey - and welcome to the site!@#

First off, if you go through the tournament archives - you'll see several OKC tournaments - simply none happening right now.

To help promote that this site even exists, those that have hooked up with helping OKgamers.com - most of which live in Tulsa, throw monthly tournaments, using Funhouse a local arcade I'm friends with.  Also, we've been approached by several store owners that sounded alot like yourself, to help with tournaments they run - also in Tulsa.  So - while some of us helping to run the site, and get the word out about it are located here - TRUST ME - the site is for the whole state, as we all need a central place to post about events and tournaments.  And, as it's in line with the whole concept of the site - improving Oklahoma, getting the word out about / creating more tournaments,  we are MORE than willing to do all we can to help with your tournament needs!  Anything to see Oklahoma get better, and also for people to learn about the site.

Yea - Cactus Jacks - I've heard of this, a arcade or?

If you'd like any specifics, or to just knock around idea's feel free to go through the main websites contact form - it goes to several of the staff, including myself, and we can perhaps start a email dialog.  As for willing and interested parties - trust me, you've got plenty here and in OKC.  We've got a few staff members that can probably help as well, and maybe some new staff members that'll sign on just to specifically help - you never know!  Anyway, welcome to the site, and from what I'm hearing, your probably a location, so DEFINITELY welcome - we can use all of you we can get the word out to :)

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

CactusJack

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 10:26:27 am »
It's good to hear there may be hope for Oklahoma City  :D - Yes, I'm the proprietor of Cactus Jacks Arcade in  Oklahoma City.  Although my website is woefully out-of-date, I am working on a complete tear-down and rebuild of the site (cactusjacksokc dot com), but you can get a general idea of the venue.  What do I need to provide to be a good host?

Offline Pinkie

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 01:14:48 pm »
I feel special that Cactus Jack himself is the website! w00t! Just talk to X_A and he'll help you figure a lot out.

Offline Icychiller

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Hitech redneck gamer
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: Icychiller
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 04:00:48 pm »
i got me n my crew for support of okc tournys..n im ♥♥♥♥♥ sure i can get more...cuz thats how i role

BlAcKOuT iZ GoD

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 04:31:37 pm »
if theres a decent cash prize id drive down there.

okwiffle

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 09:28:33 am »
hey Cactus Jack, we are hosting a NCAA 07 Football tournament and are looking for a site, right now we have it narrowed down to  a Holiday Inn in Oklahoma city and Sooner Legends Hotel in Norman.  What kind of facilities do you have for something like this?  Do you have 8 Monitors/Tv's, are you even interested in us hosting it at your place?

Let me know

Al

CactusJack

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 04:01:51 pm »
hey Cactus Jack, we are hosting a NCAA 07 Football tournament and are looking for a site, right now we have it narrowed down to  a Holiday Inn in Oklahoma city and Sooner Legends Hotel in Norman.  What kind of facilities do you have for something like this?  Do you have 8 Monitors/Tv's, are you even interested in us hosting it at your place?

Let me know

Al

Although I'd love to have you, X_A and I are still working on the preliminary things that I need to put in place to have a 1st class tournament facility.  Please let me know when and where your tournament does end up as I'd like to come be a spectator and hopefully learn a thing or two about what makes a great tournament venue.

Dan

keroku

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 05:02:08 pm »
I hope you can get the place all readied up, that would really help some people out. A good tourny venue is a big tourny venue from my experience, and make it moderately priced, too.

Offline Oo HyPn07iC oO

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
  • Casey.....Its not easy being your daddy........
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 04:28:12 pm »
due to the number of views in this topic its obvious there are alot of okc players(like myself) i hope u get something started and i will be willing to get tourneys in okc started if u need someone
Im not Sick......IM ILL...

Offline Icychiller

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Hitech redneck gamer
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: Icychiller
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 12:20:58 pm »
if u need sum hardware..hit me up bro..lata..