Author Topic: Fighting Gamers - What game REALLY has the largest community? (uh ohes)  (Read 17288 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA

So, after talking with a Halo player who's friend is hung up on "Tekken is the best fighting game ever", to silly ol' Esom complaining about Tekken players getting all the respect - but wait.  What community is ACTUALLY larger?

Tekken Zaibatsu - as I know it the biggest community for Tekken?  65,000 members.

Smash Boards?  almost 3 times that size - 164,000.

So - drama starts here - what's the biggest, and best community?  Obviously, SC is the best :)  But anyway, largest - seems to be SSBB - even though Tekken and SF players will try and mock it, etc...

Thoughts?

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Animefreak6969

• OKgamer fo' life
  • YUM!
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Gamers - What game REALLY has the largest community? (uh ohes)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 09:51:36 am »
well SSBB has the largest only if you count the fact it's a real fighting game, and the fact that 70% of those people are 12 year olds who want to be good in a game with Mario in it.

and aside form that i'd assume SRK is the biggest FG community otherwise in general.  SF4 man.........
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:54:03 am by Animefreak6969 »

Offline AfroTastic

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 07:58:47 pm »
Well i'd have to say smash has the biggest community.

Why there tournament turn out CAN be huge.

The two big name tournaments last year pulled 300+ and close to 400 people seriously like 2+3 day tournaments.

just my opinion.

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 05:37:31 am »

Does anyone know where to get the attendance numbers for EVO? I remember Execute calling up MvC2 as being the biggest / real big at Evo - so it'd be interesting to see what numbers they have for Evo's.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 01:57:09 pm »
I heard approximately 1000 people participated in tournaments, with several thousand attending period

Offline po pimpus

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 01:52:25 am »
Yeah, when it comes to sheer numbers, no one can get on EVO's level. Period. These guys make it their business to throw the biggest Fighting game tournament every year, and that dedication and hype shines through like the summer sun.

Smash is big in the Southwest as a region, but here locally, there's a lot of arrogance and elitism which cuts into our potential growth.

I know maybe two, possibly three Tekken players in my circle of acquaintances... I know at least a dozen or so 2d Fighter players (SF, BB, GG, etc.), so take that as you will.

Offline Solidus

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: SolidusSpriggan
Obviously the biggest fighting game community surrounds the playstation 3D fighting hit Destrega.

Seriously though smash is HUGE. For a series that many 2D fighting game fans scoff at as "not a real fighting game" it certainly has a large following and a high level meta game. being in the Southwest I see the largest smash community around. I work my ♥♥♥ off to promote things like BlazBlue and TvC but interest is very hard to build around those compared to smash, I've played melee for literally thousands of hours. Other 2D fighters, merely hundreds.

Offline LONEWOLF2021

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
I'd say ssf4 or mvc2 with names like diago jwong Alex valle defintely adds popularity to games .
THE CLOWN IS IN TOWN.

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
Obviously the biggest fighting game community surrounds the playstation 3D fighting hit Destrega.

Seriously though smash is HUGE. For a series that many 2D fighting game fans scoff at as "not a real fighting game" it certainly has a large following and a high level meta game. being in the Southwest I see the largest smash community around. I work my ♥♥♥ off to promote things like BlazBlue and TvC but interest is very hard to build around those compared to smash, I've played melee for literally thousands of hours. Other 2D fighters, merely hundreds.

I like your signature.

just kidding i main tager

Offline jamarn

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
I think the reason the average gamer would rather play FPS or any other game besides fighting games is because of how hard it is to play a fighting game.  Doing QCF and DP motions consistently on reaction and memorizing combos is not something a lot of people think they can do so they stay away.  Average gamers do not want to devote the time it takes to become good.  They just want to step up and play and win and that's not how it works in fighting games.  In an FPS you can pretty much go in with very minimal knowledge and still do well and you also have teammates to carry you until you learn the maps.  

Now to get to my point.  My brother in law is a really good gamer and plays all kinds of games except fighting games.  I always ask why and its because he thinks its to much work to do all the motions and takes to much time to get good and learn combos.  He plays lots of FPS games.  He also plays a lot of Smash.  Yeah that's a fighting game right?  He plays it because it was easy to pick up and play for the average gamer.  He can play at a decent level with minimal time invested and its easy for all his friends to jump in and play with since its easy to play.  

Smash probably has the biggest community because of ease of playing.  Now don't get me wrong I did not say easy to get good at but easy to learn and play for even the most casual gamers.  Smash also has an advantage in it appeals to the kids more than other fighting games.  Not saying Smash is a kids game but again the ease of learning and kidie look appeal to kids and the parents.  

In my opinion Street Fighter is the best series and prob the best community with the most well known pros.  SF may not have the biggest community but biggest community does not mean best.  I love Smash as well but I would rather be good at Street Fighter but maybe because I have been playing it since the early 90's.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:06:20 pm by jamarn »

Offline Michael Jackson

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • PSN ID: Paxmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 04:37:06 am »
Alot of the big gaming 'clans' like compLexity picking up Tekken players to sponsor, just sayin'....

Offline mooshie

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile

Offline Animefreak6969

• OKgamer fo' life
  • YUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 03:32:47 pm »
TEKKEN CRASH is awesome I do say.

But Korea is crazy lol, Starcraft still has a tv show.

Offline Solidus

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: SolidusSpriggan
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 04:19:16 pm »
Tekken has a tv show in Korea.  http://sdtekken.com/2010/04/10/tekken-crash-season-4-group-a-videos/

Just sayin.

Most of the characters in Smash Brothers have had their own TV series, some of which have been adapted worldwide (Kirby, pokemon), and some of which are still continuing.

Offline mooshie

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 05:10:22 pm »
Tekken has a tv show in Korea.  http://sdtekken.com/2010/04/10/tekken-crash-season-4-group-a-videos/

Just sayin.

Most of the characters in Smash Brothers have had their own TV series, some of which have been adapted worldwide (Kirby, pokemon), and some of which are still continuing.

I didn't mean a cartoon.  I meant a TV show based on competitors playing in a team tournament.