Author Topic: AZ Soul Calibur player - and the drama that ensues  (Read 21042 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
Re: AZ Soul Calibur player - and the drama that ensues
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2008, 12:15:23 am »
I'm going to do my best to remind myself that you are out of touch with the fighting game community, and do not understand the real math or statistics involved.  Also, I'll cut to the chase for you.

A tournament with a cash pot is your best bet to get anyone other than the Tulsa types that have talked to you - to even show up to play.  Link, other potential good players, wouldn't just show up on a lark.  Try and remember it from our perspective; you are not the first nor the last to state you're the best, and traveling just to silence some random voice on the internet would even bankrupt Gates.

Also, no one puts that sort of money down for a tournament entry fee.  I've known a few crazies that might for a bet, but even those are far and few in-between.  I can guarantee you no one in Tulsa is going to lay down 50 - they know they are going to lose to me or Mj anyway, more-a-less someone that might show up better from TX, etc.  Financially, it's just not going to happen that anyone would pay that much for a tournament for a fighting game.  Realistically - anyone from too far back would see myself, Mj, etc - and not pay upon arriving.  Really, even charging 10 is pushing it, as once again, it pasts the point of fun, and gets into a major investment to some.  Best to go less, and get more people to play, vs scaring them away with a over-sized entry fee.

And don't let what you've seen on the forums misguide you.  What I was doing at my house was trying to re-inact what Tulsa once had at the arcade, and also what Dallas has in it's community - weekly gaming gatherings.  Mj, myself, JD, and others didn't put thousands of hours into SC play without there being a location to do it - for SC1 and 2 - that was the arcade, something that simply was destroyed by SC3's console bs.  

Also don't be concerned, when I "offer to throw a tournament" - I do so because I know I can run a fair and fun event and get locations, gamers, and sponsors on board, but simply don't dedicate my time to do it actively anymore.  OKgamers is fairly known in OK now after I spent a year doing monthly events+, I now dedicate my time to conventions and other larger scale events requested by businesses usually.  If I throw a tournament, it'll be worth showing up for.  If I've got a 'main show' - like AZ players rolling in to challenge Tulsa players?  I'll be able to throw a banner together to gather more players.  Pure and simple hype? Sure.  But it still rally's the troops better than "Come lose your money to XA or Mj."  Remember - I've lived here all my life.  Tulsa is where I've played this game from n00b to 'pro'.  Tournaments for SC died several deaths over the years, because people got tired of losing; a big factor into why I wouldn't charge too much for entry.  Throw a big enough event, people will come for fun.  Make it AZ vs OK - people will spread the word and it'll become fun.  If you really are good enough to defeat all present, 5 to 6$ a head at 70% is enough to recoup your costs, etc.  Anything more goes outside the scope of being realistically feasible.

I welcome your friend, we'll probably have someone dedicated to taping the event as well.  I still encourage you to rent a car, and bring more than just yourself - that way we can have this be an official AZ vs OK event.

And don't worry; a tournament won't take away from your first to 5 with anyone that's trash talked.  Myself, Mj, Wraith and probably what - Blind and who else? That's like 10 minutes a piece, times 4 - we can eek out less than an hour right after the tournament to finish things up, or let you do things in your personal manner.  But don't back down from a tournament offer; you wanna win big, winning tournaments is how it is.  If you can't pull down top placing at an event, no one will care if you can beat a few people first to five - what matters is when you go into a competition and come out with first place.

Let's say March 29th.  Let me know if you can drag any other SC playing friends, and we'll call it AZ vs OK.  I can see charging like 6$ a head, putting 1$ towards flyer costs recouping, and the rest towards the pot - 70 / 20 / 10.  I'll put things into motion the second you give me your word or grab your tickets, etc.  You game?

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2008, 12:19:27 am »

Mako and r3ligion - he's not totally off base, just not in the right area or gaming community.  Hundreds might show up for a SSBM event, of course halo, or even SC / Tekken back in the day.  SC3 killed most of the community for it.  Tekken seems to have died off.  Halo and Smash might STILL bring those large of crowds - but not anywhere other than serious destinations or already large large cities like Dallas and NYC.  The East Coast - also seems to be where serious gamers are more rooted...  Perhaps all the sunshine and surf to our west detours good gaming.  Anyway - while he may have dreams of 100's showing up to play at 50 a peice, and it may even be possible; just not for a fighting game in the states - that I know of, or have even heard of.  (Also, gamers are cheap, 50 is just tooo high lol.)

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Offline makosira

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2008, 02:59:27 am »

Mako and r3ligion - he's not totally off base, just not in the right area or gaming community.  Hundreds might show up for a SSBM event, of course halo, or even SC / Tekken back in the day.  SC3 killed most of the community for it.  Tekken seems to have died off.  Halo and Smash might STILL bring those large of crowds - but not anywhere other than serious destinations or already large large cities like Dallas and NYC.  The East Coast - also seems to be where serious gamers are more rooted...  Perhaps all the sunshine and surf to our west detours good gaming.  Anyway - while he may have dreams of 100's showing up to play at 50 a peice, and it may even be possible; just not for a fighting game in the states - that I know of, or have even heard of.  (Also, gamers are cheap, 50 is just tooo high lol.)

X A

That was kinda my point. :D

360 Live Gamertag: SulkiestSun

Someone had already taken makosira and sira... Who the heck uses 'makosira' besides me? o_O

Offline blindsamurai

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: xgcx casper
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2008, 10:54:21 am »
hi DonP  how did you find this sit  ???

DonP

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2008, 02:37:34 pm »
I typed in soul calibur tournaments and this sight came up.

And listen X A no offence but all of this tournament talk, seemingly avoiding the one on one battle between us, and actually playing it down like it doesn't saying that no one cares if I beat a couple players.  All that sounds like your scared.  You need the OK gamer community to help you put me in my place. 

Out of your own mouth you said that noone would put 50 dollars up cause they no they will just loose to you or MJ.  So the best thing for us to do is have me you and MJ sit on the sticks and just go at it for about fourty five minutes.  Thats all we have to do.  I know you probably want to watch how I play first before you get on with me but prove me wrong.

If everyone looses to you or MJ than lets just get right to it.  Makes sence.  Im flying in, do me the honor to play the best right off the bat.  I have no soul calibur groupies to bring so I cant do an AZ vs OK but like I said, I coming to prove I am better than OK best which I am hearing is you and MJ.  So lets get down to buisness.  I talked, you talked now lets go head up.

Now I have nothing against a tournament and I look forward to it.  I love this game and I love good competition, something I havent had in a long time.  But like I said, when someone talks about how they would destroy you, human nature makes you want to show that person whats up.  It doens't make you want to play against guys who didn't say anything you feel me.

Im challenging you and MJ period.  Now that I am actually coming are you telling me I cant just play you.  I have to go through a tournament to see you.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Sounds a little lame.  Come on OK gamers, you dont sence that from your leader.

Step up baby!!

DarkWraith56

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2008, 02:47:47 pm »
Seriously man stop with the wierd endings your freaking me out, and also were basically bringing other people out just to be like hey even our worst players can beat you.

SkizsM420

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2008, 04:06:27 pm »
Dude, are you a complete idiot or what?  X A is offering to be hospitable and have a tournament, AND play you.  If you would read all of the post you will notice that he said you would do the challenge before or after the tournament.  You're worse than all these middle school kids claiming to be pros at halo.  A challenge has been offered and accepted, why are you still whining on about it?  I thought you were an adult with a life. Please man, for everyones sake, take another lithium and chill out until this thing goes down.  Otherwise it's going to be a really long month sorting through all of your ranting.  When the time comes, I am going to make it a point to drive to tulsa and watch these guys wipe their butts with you, and it's a 2 hour drive for me, and I don't play soul caliber at all, I just want to see you eat your arrogant words. . . . . . .

Offline Michael Jackson

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • PSN ID: Paxmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2008, 05:15:38 pm »
That was the most contrived, "I only read what I want too," reply I have ever read on a message board ever...

Offline TH3 R3LIGION

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • No XBL FR
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2008, 05:21:16 pm »
Don P do you play any games besides SC?
DO NOT SEND ME A FR UNLESS I KNOW YOU PERSONALLY

SEMI-PROS ARE HORRIBAD

SP

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2008, 05:22:43 pm »
I just stumbled on to to this site.  I'm just going to be straight up and say I am the greatest soul calibur player in the world.  I can't find anything close to competition.  I cannot wait until this thing is online for 360 and ps3 so I can finally claim the number 1 spot officially.  This is just a friendly notice from somone who feels he is the best in the world at soul calibur, and I look forward to facing anyone who thinks they are good at this game.

LOL, spoken like a true noob

not that you are, because i dont know you, nor have i seen you play, but you sure sound like one.

anyways... im liking the trash talk, only AZ has that kind of trash talk... we're just too good at it ;-)

I support AZ in all things smash, but this is SC so I can be biased based upon friendships instead of location... get im saif! lol =P

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2008, 05:43:27 pm »

Funny, you search for tournaments to find this site, and then scoff at the idea of being in one...

Pretty much my friends and fellow staff have already said what needs to be said here.

Throwing a tournament is simply an act of hospitality and to give you a chance to travel and play more players than just those in my personal friend group.  Also, if you had any senses about you you'd know that no one knows everything; throw a big enough tournament and locals may not be the only ones to show up.  I've made that clear - don't make me 'defend' throwing a tournament when it's in your better interests.

Watch you play?  This is a two way street Don.  And if anything, you
OKgamers.com - our goals

Linkrkc

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2008, 08:26:42 pm »
Does anyone know about the money thats possible to make.  I would definately be down for money.... do it big.  Go 50 dollar buy in.

Hi, Don.  I think I'm good at Soul Calibur, and since no one else will take you up on the big money bets, I will.  I'd rather play you first to ten wins for at least $100, though I'd definitely be willing to go higher.  How much do you want to play for?  I want to make the trip worthwhile for whoever wins.  I'll also play you pre-tournament if you'd prefer; I'm flexible on the terms.

I have a friend or two who may be interested in playing for money as well, but I'm not sure how much they want to risk.

Edit: Happy birthday, X_A!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 09:14:17 pm by Linkrkc »

Offline blindsamurai

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: xgcx casper
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2008, 09:16:48 pm »
Does anyone know about the money thats possible to make.  I would definately be down for money.... do it big.  Go 50 dollar buy in.

Hi, Don.  I think I'm good at Soul Calibur, and since no one else will take you up on the big money bets, I will.  I'd rather play you first to ten wins for at least $100, though I'd definitely be willing to go higher.  How much do you want to play for?  I want to make the trip worthwhile for whoever wins.  I'll also play you pre-tournament if you'd prefer; I'm flexible on the terms.

I have a friend or two who may be interested in playing for money as well, but I'm not sure how much they want to risk.

Edit: Happy birthday, X_A!

lol i bet this guy wont even show up and this is all just a big joke

Linkrkc

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2008, 10:14:41 pm »
You may be right, but I know the pain of having to travel for hours just to find people worth playing.  If he's serious about wanting competition, I'm willing to make this worth the time for both of us by putting a sizable amount of money on it.  This way, if he wins, he'll cover part (or all, depending on how much we end up playing for) of the cost of his trip.  If not, I had my costs covered and he found the competition he's been seeking.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:19:07 pm by Linkrkc »

DonP

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2008, 12:51:06 am »
Finally linkrc, a real person, not some gamer rules weirdo.  I will most definately take you up on your offer of 100 dollar games up to ten.  That X A is what you play for.  No waste of time, no sand bagging, just another gamer who "knows the pain of not having challenges."  I most definately accept your challenge. 

X A if I can find a couple more people like this it is probably better worth my time that I skip your tuornament and just go head up to ten with a couple people for real money.  For you I guess 6$ buy in fees and a tournament holding a majority of guys who know you will beat them may be what gets you ready, but linkrc and I seem to be on the same page.

Late march early april works for me for a tournament and what not.  Whether I play or not depends on how many people show up wanting to play 100 dollar games to ten.  I guess there are people here out of your money bracket willing to play in ways normal people do when challenges are layed.  Head to head.  No hoops to jump through and money to gain. 

Again I appreciate the extension but I definately want to show up and play you X A.  I will jump through any hoop I have to to play you buddy.  My number 1 priority will be playing 100 dollar games to 10 since thats been layed out to me if you don't mind.  Afterwards I'd be honored to play in the tournament and hopefully I am good enough to last and play you since we already know you are the best.

I'll know an exact date in a couple days if anytime during when I said is cool

Also, I notice all the OK gamers are annoyed with me.  Im going to come down there, and now I sense tension.  Hey guys relax.

linklr sorry if I have been spelling your name wrong but I would love to play you for a hundred dollar game to ten.  If there is another that would like too that would be great.  I want to let you know this im not joking around or wasting your time.  Id love to get right down to buisness for a reason without jumping through any hoops.