Author Topic: Tulsa - MvC3, Halo, Smash, SSFIV, Forza and MORE: OKg 5yr Anni at TCC - 3/26/11  (Read 60213 times)

Offline 2AMPd

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: AMP zyx
Seeds will be more official and will provide for a better overall tournament experience.
They haven't in the past.

www.twitter.com.com/OK_Updates

I'mma be what I set out to be, without a doubt undoubtedly And all those who look down on me I'm tearing down your balcony

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: furyswrath
  • XBL ID: furyswrath
Seeds will be more official and will provide for a better overall tournament experience.

Personally I think Seeding Causes more Confusion as not everyone that comes to play knew about or participated in the online tournaments. As you know we have handfuls of people that come to tournaments that have never been in one before. Or some that have but just come to see how good / bad they are ... etc   

However there are some good things to seeding as it would make it in a way more fair to those causal players and good players. You obviously dont want all the well known players all on one side of the bracket.

But for the sake of the confusion factor, and knowing that most all of us & the TO's know the regulars a bracket and be made fairly and efficiently.

Just my "personal" 2 cents, as i am not speaking for OKgamers on the topic of tournament seeding, just myself.

Offline 2AMPd

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile

Personally I think Seeding Causes more Confusion as not everyone that comes to play knew about or participated in the online tournaments. As you know we have handfuls of people that come to tournaments that have never been in one before. Or some that have but just come to see how good / bad they are ... etc   

Agreed.

I'mma be what I set out to be, without a doubt undoubtedly And all those who look down on me I'm tearing down your balcony

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA

Blake - please provide me with a link, I've looked and do not see one to put anywhere.

--

ON THE SUBJECT OF SEEDING:  I'm going to be a bit of an ♥♥♥ here - and say IF YOU DO NOT LIKE SEEDING, you CLEARLY ARE NOT FULLY AWARE OF WHAT IT DOES.

**Most the time** there's only 2 scenerio's to be had:

Good players are separated by seeding, and a bracket is balanced.
OR
Good players are randomly thrown in, and chaos insues.

Why is that?  It's simple:
With Seeding - we are taking what we KNOW - the good players - and putting them as far away from each other as possible; sure it stinks to run into them first round, but in a double elimination event?  You at least get a chance to gain ground in the losers bracket, playing people probably more on your level of skill.

WITHOUT SEEDING - you run into "the best" and then guess what - you hit them in the losers bracket too.  Why?  Well, without intelligent design of the brackets, balancing through seeding - good meet good - RIGHT off the bat.  One team advances, and the other good team can literally CLEAN OUT the losers bracket, team by team until they get to the end anyway.

If there are 2 "great teams" - and they meet first round?  One team decimates winners, the other losers, and people - quite a few at that point - have NO CHANCE of meeting fair competition in the losers bracket; and that's just no fun.

--

Now - I said there were "usually" only 2.  The third?  A great team shows up - that is unknown; and wreck that slightly.  For fighters, this rarely happens, but does; for shooters, well your games can be played online, so it creates way more 'unknowns' with skill.
Can we control this?  Of course not - it's THE UNKNOWN. 
However, we can help safeguard against it with seeding.

SEEDING IS NOT FOR THE GOOD PLAYERS - IT IS FOR EVERYONE ELSE.
It sucks to 'double out' - but usually, you lose your first match, you go up against that match in losers - and if the bracket is balanced?  You have a much better chance against that opponent.
Nothing is WORSE than not having a chance in EITHER BRACKET.  Seeding helps prevent that.

...yes - helps.  Because we throw open events, anyone can show up, and you never know who will travel; so we do what we can :)

SEEDING = IMPORTANT, and valued.  If you are hating it because you've never been seeded, that's petty.  If you are hating on it because it sounds elitest - it's not. 
...going back to the "two good teams" reference?  What does it matter if they play first, or last - they'll end up playing no matter what...  What DOES matter - who had a chance to play the other teams other than say "the top 2". 

If two "good teams" meet first round?  You run multiple people through the double out / triple out grinder.  We seed?  We can help prevent many many more from even having to play those "top two" - and play against people way more on their level, etc.  AKA - A FUN EVENT TO MOST!

--

Why did we approve a seeding event?  HxC is a sponsor, and we've done it in the past; it's no big deal when handled properly, which we do.  It literally only helps players, not hurts.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
Well put saif.. so example playin in our pre qualifier helps us mainly have an unbias opinion cuz right now.. im telling you whos going to be our top 8 seeds so far. Wallshot and his teammate will get number 1 seed because they have more okgamers community wins. Gwade and viper PURELY because they are halo legends so #2 or 3 seed due to most Halo tournament wins.  rips and his teammate will get a 4 seed. Also surprisingly if Jorsky shows they will get the Number 2 seed cuz he won our last event with an unknown teammate. So if you guys wanna roll with that ok.
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileShare.aspx?player=GAMEBATTLES
1.   Score to Win to 25 Team Slayer gametype.
1.   MLG Team Slayer v2.0 – MLG Sanctuary v2.0
2.   MLG Team Slayer v2.0 – MLG Countdown v2.0
3.   MLG Team Slayer v2.0 – MLG Reflection v2.0
4.   MLG Team Slayer v2.0 – MLG Zealot v2.0
Recognized okgamers will host first.
**If a map results in a tie, the map will be replayed to its entirety with the same sides and settings

Also this weekend Saif Im going to call all gamers and see how many teams is driving up....
HxC LAN Center

Offline Calm Lava

• Familiar Face
  • Would you kindly?
    • View Profile
If this is the place to register, sign me up. If not, please point me in the right direction to join

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
If this is the place to register, sign me up. If not, please point me in the right direction to join
What game are you interested in?
HxC LAN Center

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA

Timmy - I believe some of the people are having problems with the pre-reg event because we haven't advertised it / talked about it?   So - when did you plan on even having the event?  I know we need to get a link up to it - but if it's like  THIS WEEKEND or something, we should probably re-consider moving it back to a few weeks out, etc?

Seeding = good.
People being confused, etc = bad.

PRE-REG - will go up in a few days - sorry, give Fury and I some time, we've been more busy getting $$ and Sponsors than the pre-reg totally finished :)

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center

Timmy - I believe some of the people are having problems with the pre-reg event because we haven't advertised it / talked about it?   So - when did you plan on even having the event?  I know we need to get a link up to it - but if it's like  THIS WEEKEND or something, we should probably re-consider moving it back to a few weeks out, etc?

Seeding = good.
People being confused, etc = bad.

PRE-REG - will go up in a few days - sorry, give Fury and I some time, we've been more busy getting $$ and Sponsors than the pre-reg totally finished :)

X A

Ok should I type up some instructions on what to do? I can understand fighters being confused. But shooters not so much. Its just like gamebattles....  sign up.. join halo reach ladder... join okgamer pre qualifier wait till the event which is one week prior to the okgamers event. What I might do is just see whom all is going and start having people compete and whomever has the most xp will be the top rated seed... IDK we will talk Saif.
HxC LAN Center

Offline Blake93

• OKgamers Supporters
  • Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
The Seeding Tournament is supposed to be on the 20th. I don't know what you're talking about Timmy, but nobody should get a seed just because they've placed well in the past. Seeding should be solely on the Seeding Tournament. People who sign up on the day of will be seeded as they arrive. This REALLY should not be a complicated situation, but I don't know all the politics involved.

Saif, we cannot post the Online Event until we have a pre-reg set-up. As per request, we made it to where only people who have pre-registered for the live event can register for the online tournament. I delete any team that signs up for the Online Event prior to pre-registering.

Offline 2AMPd

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
Seedings really only work on an extended period of time and when team CONSISTENTLY show up, which has yet to happen. But if you guys are dead set on using seedings then go ahead, I'm not gonna make a big deal out of it, just putting in my 2 cents.

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
Seedings really only work on an extended period of time and when team CONSISTENTLY show up, which has yet to happen. But if you guys are dead set on using seedings then go ahead, I'm not gonna make a big deal out of it, just putting in my 2 cents.

Not true.. Wall Shots team has won 3 Halo Reach events. Consistently. Blake... it does make sense this is an OKgamer event.. the events I'm going off of are all documented on this site in the aftermath section. The only reason im giving  Gwade, Viper, and Jorsky higher seeds is cuz I have seen there teams play Reach. Viper just went to the national FFA tournament... You feel me? I think he deserve a very high seed bro.
HxC LAN Center

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
http://www.gamexchangetulsa.com/events/reachtourn.php
Wall shot and TJ 2v2

Dr.Viper has made it to the top 32 of this one
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/gamestopevents
But in Reach its only right/fair to others that his team is top 4.
HxC LAN Center

Offline 2AMPd

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile

Not true.. Wall Shots team has won 3 Halo Reach events. Consistently. Blake... it does make sense this is an OKgamer event.. the events I'm going off of are all documented on this site in the aftermath section. The only reason im giving  Gwade, Viper, and Jorsky higher seeds is cuz I have seen there teams play Reach. Viper just went to the national FFA tournament... You feel me? I think he deserve a very high seed bro.
Tell me what other teams went to the tournaments wallshots won.

The bolded makes me LOL pretty ♥♥♥♥♥ hard, DrVipers my father, but he went to Nationals for FFA for Halo 3.

And Josrky got 3rd place in ONE local? Explain that one to me.