Author Topic: Capture while using VGA cable  (Read 4365 times)

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
Capture while using VGA cable
« on: June 04, 2009, 01:10:08 pm »
Heres how you do it!

This is a method that works in capturing with the MLG TV(Viewsonic NX2232w)
Or any monitor that has a vga input.

Requirements:

- 1 Gold Plated Audio Splitter

- 3 Gold-Plated Audio Y-Adapter, 1/8" Mono Jack to Phono plugs

- 1 Male to Male VGA Gold Plated

- 1 VGA Splitter

- 1 PC to TV

- 1 Capture device I use a Pinnacle Movie Box 710 USB

- 1 pair of audio cables.

Most of these items are purchase at RadioShack and NewEgg.

How to setup the Video:

1. Connect your XBOX VGA cable into the VGA splitter in the Video In slot.

2. The VGA to VGA cable that you purchased connect it from the TV to the VGA splitter.

3. Connect the VGA converter cable that the VGA splitter brought from the VGA splitter into the PC to TV VGA port(It looks like an S-Video port but it has more pings)

4. Connect the composite cable(yellow cable) into the PC to TV box and into your capturing device.

How to setup the Audio:

1. Insert your audio splitter into the headphone jack of the ViewSonic(green slot)

2. Connect your VGA audio cables to the Y-Adapter, 1/8" Mono Jack to Phono plugs into the audio aplitter.

3. Connect another audio splitter into the Y-Adapter, 1/8" Mono Jack to Phono plugs and connect a pair of audio cables(red and white) on the other end plug them into another audio splitter and then plug the splitter into your computers MIC port.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:03:15 pm by Timmy Skorcher »
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

Offline Oo HyPn07iC oO

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
  • Casey.....Its not easy being your daddy........
    • View Profile
Re: Capture while using VGA cable
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 02:22:11 pm »
you guys need to stream some games in at the next tournament
Im not Sick......IM ILL...

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: furyswrath
  • XBL ID: furyswrath
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 07:16:44 am »
Easy Fix to this rather than a huge Hodge Podge of Cables to accomplish what your doing.  You have several Options now days Some more expensive that others.

1st question ya gotta ask do you want HD or SD Video.  Im Guessing SD since most play tube TV's or those 19in Viewsonics.

Next questions are you using Component or Composite video..

For Most SD video you can get an Old ATI All In wonder it has an external Cable that allows for Video in with a Loop feed back out.  You can round one up for about 30 to 50 bucks  Caveat is that you will need a Mobo that supports AGP.

Next Choice this is assuming you want HD or SD and do Not want to stream your video live.  Buy you a Cheap 99$ DVD Recorder. Works just like a VCR would. the HD versions are a little more.

Sling Box..  Yes.. Sling Box..  Hook that puppy up just like you'd hook it to your cable box.  And with your sling account you can stream that to the net. Not sure on who all can watch it though?   But Theoretically you should be able to use a sling box. the small standard one runs about 130ish.

If you want HD, follow this Link its your best option  http://goodblimey.com/archives/2008/02/06/how-to-record-xbox-360-gameplay-videos/  its not cheap though the HAVA is pricey buts its good quality it works alot like the slingbox does but does not require a slingbox account.

Here is another way i Saw.. Its a Cheap Hodge Podge way..  uses s-video..  which I personally think is horrible quality.

Also here is a GREAT blog post I found on a how to  http://kobo.isgre.at/2009/07/01/what-do-i-need-to-record-off-the-tv/

Lays it all out for ya.  If it where me though?  And I didnt have the requirement to Stream live..    Id be buying me a DVD Recorder and your done. You just set that bad boy up just like the golden days of VCR's     XBOX 360 > DVD Recorder > TV  Bam. Instant Recording with no Hodge Podge. and No Computers to have to lug around with ya.  Bam here ya Go PERFECTION  http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=all&q=DVD+Recorder&cid=18190521838058060869&os=tech-specs#p

That will do Old Technology Cable Connections, and New Style HDMI and records it all as DIVx  and it support Dual Layer if you go full HD Recording.  And if you really wanted to stream it just put a "Amplified" Splitter in-between the DVD Recorder and the TV and bring a Laptop with ya and a cheap ole USB Video In Adapter you can get those for like 20 bucks. and just use it to stream it to the net. you dont need good quality when you stream it anyways since you need to compress it and make it as small as possible so it dont jerk every 10 seconds.  I Recommended www.qik.com  or www.seesmic.com   both are equipt for the need and they will publish to Facebook and MySpace and they are free.   Or Use a Jailbroken iphone with the Qik.com app on it. and Just have your iPhone Stream it like someone would with a camcorder.

Lots of options..  Dont kill yourself with a PC / Tons of Cables  Be a Minimalist and still get the same things accomplished.

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 01:21:03 am »
This is awesome Fury but theres no vga cables?
HxC LAN Center

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 09:36:24 pm »
Dont need them.. :|

USB Man..

USB.. :)

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 10:56:27 am »

USB Man..

You do need them.. Most gamers like myself love to play on Viewsonic monitors. The down fall to these monitors are that you have to use them with a vga cable. Or the picture looks all distorted any other way
HxC LAN Center

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 04:51:59 pm »

USB Man..

You do need them.. Most gamers like myself love to play on Viewsonic monitors. The down fall to these monitors are that you have to use them with a vga cable. Or the picture looks all distorted any other way

Uhhh no you dont.   Dude..  The signal is capture before it even gets to your monitor.

Computer  -----USB----- >> Capture Device --->>   Audio Video Cables Here -------->> XBOX   

Then Once the XBOX or whatever is fed into the capture device it has an output on it   --->

Audio Video Capture Device ----- Your choice of Output, HDMI, Component, Composite, Svideo, DVI.    ----> you viewsonic Monitor.

Or if you really want to get creative and have a VHS or DVD at the same time..  Put a DVD Recorder or old VCR in-line after the capture device and before your monitor.

Its just all a matter of how much you spend.. I spent 150 on mine.  Does What I need it too. And it also dose 720p,  couldn't afford the 250 one that does 1080p

It all depends on what Capture Device you buy the more you spend the more options you have.

You Viewsonics have nothing to do with it.  My Mac Book and my Pinnacle Studio Capture will even do Fire-wire..  but Fire-wire is pretty much dead since USB 2.0 came around.

DarkWraith56

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 05:11:45 pm »
and i dont remember but i think most games only push 720p anyways? am i correct on this or not?

Offline Crazd

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 09:19:10 pm »
and i dont remember but i think most games only push 720p anyways? am i correct on this or not?
You are correct on that.  Most games run 720p natively, very few games will run 1080p natively.  If they do, it's an upscaled 1080p. 

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 04:17:07 am »
You are correct on that.  Most games run 720p natively, very few games will run 1080p natively.  If they do, it's an upscaled 1080p. 

Yep This is true..  I record more than just games though in fact I havent even recorded a game yet. I use it to record crap off my DVR.

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 05:26:48 am »

Yep This is true..  I record more than just games though in fact I havent even recorded a game yet. I use it to record crap off my DVR.

Your way is great but.... the way i'm talking about records and shows in 1080p. Ill do both and compare.. this is good stuff!
HxC LAN Center

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 03:23:17 am »

Your way is great but.... the way i'm talking about records and shows in 1080p. Ill do both and compare.. this is good stuff!

ummm Kinda a waste of resources man..  For one.. Halo and Gears dont output 1080p. 720p at best. and when you save that file its huge and you end up condensing it down WAY down when you post it to you tube and such.  YouTube HD option removes every 3rd frame. and then does 80% compression on the video.  so unless you just plan on keeping it all and putting it to a DL DVD or Blue Ray your just throwing Dollars away you could be using elsewhere for other cool stuff.

Offline godmode

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • XBL Gamertag = Oh My Godmode
    • View Profile

Offline godmode

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • XBL Gamertag = Oh My Godmode
    • View Profile