Author Topic: Tulsa -=< OVGE 2K9 >=- October 24  (Read 4322 times)

Offline CrossBow

• Business Owner
  • learned the ropes
    • View Profile
Tulsa -=< OVGE 2K9 >=- October 24
« on: August 02, 2009, 10:20:52 pm »
Many have sent e-mail asking and everyone has been waiting most patient. So it is my pleasure to finally announce...

Oklahoma Video Game Exhibition 2009!

Tulsa, OK – August 1, 2009– Classic video games will once again rise from history as mid-America's one and only OVGE returns for the sixth Oklahoma Video Game Exhibition.

On October 24, 2009 video game collectors and enthusiasts from Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and even further will come together at the Spirit Bank Event Center in Tulsa to celebrate the history of the video gaming industry. “Before the OVGE, people from the surrounding states had to travel across the country for an event such as this,” said Jesse Hardesty, founder and organizer of the OVGE. Doors will open to the public at 9:00 a.m. and close at 5:00 p.m. Cost of admission for ages eight and above will be $5 dollars at the door.

In 1972, the video game industry began with the release of the Odyssey by Magnavox, the first multi-video game system for the home. However, in the early ‘80s an overflow of games and poor sales forced many companies to close resulting in drastic drops in prices for their merchandise. Companies still in business could not compete with the low pricing and lost money from their over stocked inventory causing the great crash of the video game industry in 1983. Since the rebirth of the industry in 1985, with the introduction of the Nintendo Entertainment System, video game sales have flourished.

Still, many video game players are returning to classic video games. With the advanced graphics of today’s video games, why are so many people fascinated with the classics? “Even though modern game systems have amazing graphics and sound, the most important aspect of any video game is that it actually be fun to play. Because classic game systems, like the Atari 2600, had very simple graphics, game designers had to focus on the game-play. Those same games that were fun in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s are still just as much fun today,” stated Albert Yarusso, modern video game programmer and co-founder of AtariAge.com.

"With video gaming being today’s main form of home entertainment, the history behind it should not be forgotten,” said Hardesty. “The Oklahoma Video Game Exhibition is providing the youth and their parents a chance to visit and interact with that past.” Numerous video game systems, computers, and arcade machines, will be set up for the public to play. Vendors and exhibitors will have memorabilia on display with many items for purchase.

The OVGE is organized by a group of gaming enthusiasts who want to share their hobby and passion for classic and modern video games with the public.

This is our largest venue to date and there is plenty of space available, so contact us now to reserve your space at the show!

Look to the website for the latest information as we get it! See you in October!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 06:06:24 pm by CrossBow »

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: eighty8keyes
Re: -=< OVGE 2K9 >=- !
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 11:12:01 am »
FINALLY! I will be there again this year. The little one had a blast last year and it was great getting to see things that I grew up with (the Pac-Man board game). Also some decent low key tournaments that casual gamers might be interested in and loads of vendors. Hopefully the cabinet guy can make it this year. Good stuff, if you haven't been I recommend it, it's $5 well spent.
GT: Eighty8keyes Haloez and anything else I might be playing.

xOBNx Zero

Re: Tulsa -=< OVGE 2K9 >=- October 24
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:27:44 pm »
Yes! This will be my third year going to this, I CANT WAIT :D

Offline Animefreak6969

• OKgamer fo' life
  • YUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 06:13:14 pm »
hopefully i can make it again. so far away OCTOBER. But maybe they'll be another classic fighting game tourney i can clean up lol.

EAT IT ZERO

xOBNx Zero

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 07:07:21 pm »
Eat what?

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: furyswrath
  • XBL ID: furyswrath
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 07:17:20 pm »
Fixed the web link in original post.  Should link correctly now.

xOBNx Zero

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 07:44:20 pm »
This should help :)

http://ovge.com/

Offline CrossBow

• Business Owner
  • learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 06:07:20 pm »
For some reason when I copied and pasted this one over, it doubled up on the Http//:'s in the url coding. All links should be working in the original post now.

Thanks for noticing and letting me know.

Offline FLIP17

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • THIS IS SWAAAAAGTASTIC
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: Flip17
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 08:26:59 pm »
OKAY!!! i'm tired of looking, i would very much love either a list of games er de tournament games... gotta be ready for da beatdown...
oh yeah!

na'mean???

dueces =^_^=

Offline Lupin7

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 06:43:03 am »
So, basically this is a convention where we talk about all the old systems that our ancestors used to play, and then we try to play on those old sticky joy sticks, and then we try to decipher whether we're the little square or the thing that looks like a spaceship made of even bigger squares? Sounds awesome! :)
I'd love to go, only my dad might think it's a waste of time. I'm only 15 so I don't have a car, or a driver's license, let alone a permit. But it really does sound like fun
Marathon Maniac #3199. So if anyone calls me a noob I'll play my trump card.

Offline CrossBow

• Business Owner
  • learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 02:10:05 am »
Several updates to the OVGE website to include current list of known exhibitors and vendors. Flack I still need to know what you want me to put up there for you so I can let the world know you plan to be there! hehe

Look over the website and remember...

ONLY 4 TABLES LEFT!

In regards to the show itself, it does focus mainly on the classics as it were. But there is always someone or a group of someones with more modern stuff on hand. I know for a fact that several fighting games will be setup on one exhibitors PS2 setup. In addition, the Neo-Geo crew will be back as always.

As for the tournaments there are several on the record just not posted yet. But they all pretty much focus on classic gaming such as the main OVGE tourney, and a Pac-Man collection tourney on the Colecovision. As for the joysticks being sticky. Well they are old, that just improves the grip right? ;)

Again, only 4 tables left now so if you want to be a part of the event, let me know ASAP and Thanks! I look forward to seeing everyone there!

Offline CrossBow

• Business Owner
  • learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 07:17:56 am »
Just a heads up!

We are now just about a week away from OVGE2k9 and I have a few minor things to announce.

The good news first...

We now have Friday night setup! Yeah!!! I got the confirmation late Wednesday afternoon as I made the final payment for the event space. What time or how early we can begin setting up I don't yet know but I'll send out updates as I know more. At least we have some setup for Friday now!

Bad news...

All the tables require covering of some sort, so even those that paid additional for the table skirting will still need to get some covering for your tables. I've heard that party stores and the like have plastic like large table coverings for really cheap that can be bought. This would be ideal since you wouldn't care if it got torn or anything and you could just dump it in the trash afterwards. I'm likely to go this route myself.

I also learned that we won't be the only thing going on that day in the event center. There will be a charity silent auction taking place in the main arena. Because of this I lost some of my tables and now only have 2 left available at this time. Seems the auction requires more tables than I do, so the event center is taking away some of mine that hadn't sold quite yet. ugh...

Tournaments...

There is of course the standard OVGE classic gaming tourney. I haven't quite decided on which games it will be. But I do know that it will be strictly a 2600 theme this year and I know one of the games will be Centipede. I could use some ideas on two more 2600 games that are easy to play and understand and could get some scoring in during a 3min time frame?

Brad Prillwitz will also be hosting a Pac-Man Collection tournament on the colecovision using the Opcode games Pac-Man collection cartridge!

The layout has been sent to the vendors and exhibitors so they know where to setup in the event space. Any questions etc... please do NOT hesitate to contact me!

Thank you everyone and I'll see you guys in a week!