Author Topic: Personal Religion and Christianity  (Read 3169 times)

Offline mmmapplesauce

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: mmapplesauce321
Personal Religion and Christianity
« on: February 09, 2012, 05:30:13 pm »
Through my personal experience and journey through life, I have found God in the universe, the human mind, collective soul and in nature. You could call me a Pantheist of sorts, mostly I believe in "laws of the universe." Karma is the vaguest label I could put on it. You reap what you sow, etc.

When I pray I talk to the Universe about my problems and ask for what it is I want and need. Through my spiritual journey I have traveled numerous avenues to strengthen my connection with what I perceive as God.

These beliefs definitely don't coincide with how I was raised. My whole family, both sides are deeply rooted in Christianity. Even being brought up in the Christian church from birth it never took complete hold of me. Something inside me naturally rejected it as being the absolute truth that it was presented as.

My spiritual pursuits now conflict greatly with what my family believes is the truth and only way to live life. It is hard for me to understand why they cannot accept me as a complete individual without Jesus Christ in the mix. It seems to be an unfair double standard as I have much knowledge of Christianity, it's history, scriptures, teachings and guide to how one's life should be lead. Through this, I have objectively determined that it is not what I believe or hold as truth. But, I cannot get them to even begin to listen to my views on life or personal experiences without being labeled a blasphemer.

In the few times I began to explain what I believe what this experience called life is and where I think we come from, I am assumed to be tricked by the devil. All the wonderful experiences I've had, people I have met, interactions with God, all have been written off as "tricks of the devil," or "the devil comes in many forms."

This is very frustrating for me as I love my family very much, and I know deep down they love me too. But why can't we co-exist peacefully in the same space without this animosity because we experience God in different ways? I don't force my beliefs on anybody but would gladly share them if asked, but to them I am a lesser person or uneducated or immature because of my spiritual beliefs.

It's tough growing up in a Christian household sometimes. Unconditional loves is always preached but not always practiced.

Does anybody have struggles or experiences like this? I would like to hear some to gain more understanding and find ways to communicate effectively through them.

Offline Sysyphus300021

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: sysyphus300021
Re: Personal Religion and Christianity
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:33:23 pm »
I am not religious and I'm against all religions. I believe we should strive for the best possible well being of all living things on this planet or anywhere. I get my moral landscape from science. You can not get a true and accurate moral foundation from any religion. I know what I say will piss most people off but at least my viewpoint does not kill and cause suffering to millions of people every day. I did not start this topic. I see this going very badly.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:37:47 pm by Sysyphus300021 »

Offline mmmapplesauce

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 07:03:53 am »
This conversation will go just fine if everyone maintains respect for other people's beliefs in this thread while expressing theirs.

Offline Chance

• Familiar Face
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: Gear_Jammer89
  • XBL ID: metalmusic89
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 09:36:37 am »
I believe in God. I also agree with Sysyphus. We all should try and better this world. I anxious to see how this topic turns out

Offline Sysyphus300021

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: sysyphus300021
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:31:33 am »
I think the admin should lock the thread so it can't start down a bad road. Lets end it on a high note. Religion starts fights and this is for gaming.

Offline Michael Jackson

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • PSN ID: Paxmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 02:39:17 pm »
This... will not end well...

Offline 2AMPd

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: AMP zyx
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 03:24:17 pm »
Why does a discussion about religion have to end badly? Religion doesn't start verbal fights on a forum, the people behind their keyboards do. As long as everyone can be civil and respectful, and yes it can happen, then I don't think the thread should be closed.

www.twitter.com.com/OK_Updates

I'mma be what I set out to be, without a doubt undoubtedly And all those who look down on me I'm tearing down your balcony

Offline zolarie

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
    • GameXChangeTulsa.com
  • SEN ID: zolarie
  • XBL ID: zolarie
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 05:35:08 pm »
Did I develop a split personality sometime? Because this sounds an awful lot like me, but I don't remember writing it, nor do I ever remember using the name "mmmapplesauce".

On a more serious note, I too was raised in a heavily Christian family and now try to maintain my own hold on spirituality that is separate from what they believe. Though I never even tried to explain my beliefs to anyone in my family because I knew how that would go.

I'll try to explain more later, but I have to leave for a meeting in a few minutes.

Offline rev

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 11:10:15 pm »
*obligatory defamatory remark*

Do right regardless of what you are told instead of doing what youre told regardless of what is right, and we'll all get along swimmingly.

Offline mmmapplesauce

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 01:55:35 am »
I'll try to explain more later, but I have to leave for a meeting in a few minutes.

Don't forget to come back and post, I am interested to hear your experiences.