Author Topic: Best and worst games  (Read 11541 times)

Coolsvilla

Best and worst games
« on: May 17, 2007, 06:27:01 pm »
So, I was just wondering, what do you think is the best and worst games ever?
And please give a reason why. Then we can talk about it.  :D

I think the worst game I've ever played was Quest 64 for the Nintendo 64. -_- I don't know if anyone remembers it because it was so bad. I rented it when I was a little kid and thought it was going to be fun. After running down all the stairs in the castle at the beginning of the game, I disliked it in less than 15 minutes (because it took about that long to get out of the castle you started in) and then actively hated it when I figured out how you had to save. Because the saving was so bad and the battling was so hard for me when I was little, I couldn't even get past the first forest. I remember that I got really close though. :-\

On the flip side, I think the best game that I've ever played was Zelda: Ocarina of Time. ^_^ I love that game. It was the first Zelda game I got into (played the first one when I was like 6 and didn't like it lol) and it's the only game that I could play and beat it, then start up a new file and play through again. I really liked the fighting and the weapons you got in the game. I know that Twilight Princess is very similar and I like playing it too, but I'll still like OoT more. :)

Offline godmode

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • XBL Gamertag = Oh My Godmode
    • View Profile
Re: Best and worst games
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 09:46:05 pm »
Best game...That's so tough!

I have to give out a tie. Golden Eye for N64 or Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for Xbox.

Those are my favorite games. I say they're the best because you can't really name an FPS without Golden Eye coming to mind, and the countless hours and sleepless nights spent split screening this with my buddies is priceless.

Chaos Theory...just about as many memories. From the late nights playing Gamebattles matches, to saying "I'll see you later" to a friend I met over live before he left for the Marines and later for Iraq. Not to mention the game play. It took a new genre, introduced by it's predecessor, Pandora Tomorrow, and improved on it's award winning design. Ground breaking game play that will never be rivaled.

My worst game is kind of ironic. It's a Splinter Cell title, and it's also the most recent. Double Agent was crap. Terrible, nigh unplayable crap. The single player, though supposedly innovative, was a let down. The multiplayer took a proven formula and threw it out the window in favor a noob friendly antics that gave me a few morsels, only to leave me wanting more to chew on like a emaciated Ethiopian.

My best games also had great campaigns. Chaos Theory scored a 9.9, the highest for any Xbox title. It took the given hardware and made an incredible story, with great graphics.

Golden Eye, like said before, just paved the way for console shooters.

Those are mine.

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: eighty8keyes
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 05:50:01 pm »
I am totally in agreement on Goldeneye, back in the day me and a few friends played that game to death, and hadcore at that (we only played 1-shot kills). But I would have to say my favorite game ever would have to be....wow that's tough. Zelda: A Link to the Past, played that game over and over so many times can't even count anymore, actually bought a SNES from a friend just so I could play it again :)

Worst game ever.... the only one I can think off the top of my head is Icewind Dale on PC. Don't get me wrong, Baldur's Gate is excellent and the books are great but Icewind ticked me off. From the very beginning you are forced to make a 5-6 man group and micromanage from the beginning, which I'm sure alot of the pen and paper folks don't have a problem with, but I'm console RPG trained: You start with 1 guy trying to save the planet/universe/dog and you add from there. No sir I don't like it <-- BTW shiny quarter for whoever understands that shameless plug.

And thank you Coolsvilla for starting the thread, I was going to a week back but figured no one would respond  :P
GT: Eighty8keyes Haloez and anything else I might be playing.

Ballad

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 08:33:13 am »
Rislone I'll take that shiney quarter! (The horse from R&S)

Best game: Wow, this is hard. I'd have to say Mario Kart 64 - this like GE64 to many of you guys, in that I had a pile of friends in a small room for battle action. I also remember being a die-hard Earthworm Jim fan...

Worst game: Halo. hahahaha j/k, I think 15 people went into cardiac arrest just reading that. But for real, ummmm, I can't remember! I mean, there were countless games wherein my friends and I would scream phrases like: "JUMP YOU PIECE OF :EDIT:", "Is THAT what I told you to do?!" and the gamer classic "WHAT AM I SUPPOSSED TO DO HERE!?!?!?!"

Ahhhhhhhh, the best of the worst of times....

hozanto

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 01:51:50 pm »
Best game:  Gee, this is like asking Rob Gordon from the movie High Fidelity his top five songs.  It changes from year to year.  A game I always seem to come back to once a year is Goonies 2 for the NES.  It came out a year after the original Metroid and follows the same 'metroid-vania' gameplay we see in the Castlevania series today.  I remember getting the game as a Valentines Day gift from my mom in 1988.  I hated it at first but it began to grow on me.  I still own the original and play it on my recently fixed NES or GBA flash card. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goonies_II

Worst Game:  I remember renting Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde when I was a tot and returned it later that night.  I told the employee at Movie Time Video it was the worst game I had ever played and should be destroyed.  She saw I was upset and gave a free rental.  I rented Urban Champion.  Yes, I learn lessons the hard way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Jekyll_and_Mr._Hyde_%28video_game%29

hunteddreamer

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 07:50:25 pm »
Best game?   Hands down - Final Fantasy 3 ( jap 6).  Why?  It got me into rpgs, it had one of the best stories , it didn't need graphics it sucked you in and held you. the battle system was cheap, easy, but so flexible.   Each person has their favorite charecter  mine was always Locke,  the rapscaillion with a heart of gold and a hidden love. 

Worst Game?  -  Hands thrown up in the air in frustration -  Super Glove Ball ( you'll have to go way back to the NES to find this title)   One of a the few games built for the Power Glove.   As ♥♥♥♥♥ near an unbeatable game as I've ever found.   heres the game -  Step 1 - your inside a cube.  the walls and ceiling and floor all have tiles. Step 2 when you clear a side of all the tiles you move to the next room  -  Step 3  repeat for hours until you maybe or eventually stumble upon a single tile out of around 50,000 that warps you to a boss battle to move to the next level. 
Repeat step 3.

Offline LGPxSTEEEL

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 12:04:38 am »
best game
idk lets go top 5

Final Fantsasy (all)
halo 2
halo 1
Rainbow 6 (all)
Golden eye

worst game-
Gears Of War

Offline blindsamurai

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: xgcx casper
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 02:45:29 pm »
hi Gears Of War is a good game you just mad becuz it's macks  halo look  bad

Offline LGPxSTEEEL

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 02:42:57 pm »
hi Gears Of War is a good game you just mad becuz it's macks  halo look  bad

learn to spell... and no. i just think its pointless.

another good game is...

Madden 07

Offline blindsamurai

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: xgcx casper
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 02:55:44 pm »
yea i know my spelling sucks and im cool  with that.

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 04:04:30 pm »

I've not really played enough games in my lifetime to qualify for this conversation :)

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: eighty8keyes
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 04:27:30 pm »
Oh, I almost forgot. Does anyone remember Willow on arcade?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_%28arcade_game%29

Great game, I was so obsessed with it when I was little and we went to Rose Bowl in Tulsa when my parents were in a league and I played this game to death. Finally, when I was about 19 or 20 I beat it during a stay at my friends' in California on Roms.
GT: Eighty8keyes Haloez and anything else I might be playing.

Offline TH3 R3LIGION

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • No XBL FR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 06:09:20 pm »
Ok hands down greatest games of all time are super mario bros for snes, original donkey kong for snes and finally super mario bros 3 for nes

Worst game- DDR, anyone who was at minicon and watched me and icy try to play that ♥♥♥♥♥ game know exactly what im talking about
DO NOT SEND ME A FR UNLESS I KNOW YOU PERSONALLY

SEMI-PROS ARE HORRIBAD

Ubermarine

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 04:03:10 pm »
Some of the best games I have ever played was called Xcom alien invasion that and i am playing Bioshock right now and it is rocking sweet

Kuria

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 10:20:09 pm »
Best Game? Beyond Good and Evil. Hands down, that's my favorite. I think it's the first game that made me cry. ^^

Worst Game? Can't remember anything particular tear-your-eyes-out bad...um, I hated how repetitive the Family Guy game was. Also couldn't stand how Resident Evil: Outbreak handled.