Author Topic: Are you a potential developer?  (Read 10847 times)

xd0nn4x

Re: Are you a potential developer?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 01:46:00 am »
wow they are i thought the photography school i wanted to go to was expensive :-s

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: eighty8keyes
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 04:13:09 pm »
When I first graduated many many moons ago I was looking into Art Institutes of San Francisco and grand total was going to be about 75k.
GT: Eighty8keyes Haloez and anything else I might be playing.

der_kluge

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 05:41:16 pm »
You know, being a game developer isn't all it's cracked up to be.  Most serious game developers work crazy, ridiculous hours, and are often under very tight deadlines. Not to mention the fact that your publisher/employer might yank the game before testing is completed for release, and then you get to spend the next 3 months trying to patch it up.

I've read lots of horror stories about being a game developer. I used to have aspirations of doing that, too. But the truth is, it's extremely stressful, and a very difficult field to break into.

You're better off just getting an IS degree, and going to work for some corporation doing web development or database programming, or something like that.  Much more stable - which is saying a lot for the IT industry.

I'm a senior data warehouse data architect, BTW, with 12 years IT experience.

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: eighty8keyes
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 06:53:46 pm »
@der_kluge

I agree, it is (or can be) a very stressful job, and I have read plenty of horry stories about people in development,  but most if you asked them if they would change careers most would say "no". When you love doing something in a career stress takes a back seat knowing that your in the field you want to be in. Is it for everyone? Not really, but no amount of stability is going to make me think that Database Programmer is a dream job. As for breaking in, it depends on what your doing. A programmer can easily get a job with knowledge and a BS in CS to back it up and some creativity. Artists it is a little more rough. It wall depends on who you work for, just like any company, it's how they treat their employees.
GT: Eighty8keyes Haloez and anything else I might be playing.

Offline JaredLS

• learned the ropes
  • You Only Fail When You Quit
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: VideoProducer
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 03:19:51 pm »
What was the outcome of this "meeting?"

Offline mmmapplesauce

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: mmapplesauce321
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 02:56:36 am »
We may never know, this thread was started in 2007

Offline JaredLS

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 11:25:24 am »
True. It would be cool to get this going again though. I'm an 3D modeler/animator, but I don't know any coding (yet).

DarkWraith56

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 04:30:27 pm »
hmmm....ive already got a bit of knowledge about XNA and C# working on a larger project here at school actually....possibly interested.

Offline JaredLS

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 08:04:00 pm »
I'm still in school for my bachelors too at Full Sail, but I've done animations before going here.
If something like this did get started, I think making an IPad game would be the best way to go. I won't have a ton of time to do this, but I think I could offer a few hours a week helping out. Let me know if you're still interested....and hopefully more people will want to help out.
I work at Tulsa Community College as their video producer and so if we needed a place to meet, I'm sure I could accommodate some room for this.

DarkWraith56

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 09:35:17 pm »
Well, if you need help with anything background coding related...i'm terrible with actual graphics....but ive at least got most of the physics down for games(particle engines and such). That and create some pretty basic AI's probably more advanced if i spent some time with it. Not really bounded by languages can learn them pretty easily as long as its OOPish

Offline JaredLS

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 10:29:59 pm »
Sounds great! I'll keep you informed when I start the project. I need to do some pre-pro first, see if you're able to do it. Trust me, it shouldn't be that hard. I have another programmer that will
help as well.

Offline BiPoLar BuNNy

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • SEN ID: PMS_BiPoLar
  • Wii ID: 4621-2040-3385-5205
  • XBL ID: PMS BiPoLar
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 01:58:54 pm »
hmm, well the main post is old but if we are trying to bring the thread back... I'm graduating in May with my computer science degree and can help with programming, but last time I agreed to do anything like this I was the only programmer on the entire team and that's far too much work for one person.

I'm developing a game now for my capstone to graduate so I wouldn't be able to fully get into anything until May or so. I know a handful of different languages and my minor is IS mainly focusing on web development, photoshop and Flash animation.

I own Visual studios, Microsoft XNA Game Studio 4, Flash, Eclipse and a few more that I can't remember.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:13:39 pm by BiPoLar BuNNy »

DarkWraith56

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 04:00:16 pm »
hmm, well the main post is old but if we are trying to bring the thread back... I'm graduating in May with my computer science degree and can help with programming, but last time I agreed to do anything like this I was the only programmer on the entire team and that's far too much work for one person.

I'm developing a game now for my capstone to graduate so I wouldn't be able to fully get into anything until May or so. I know a handful of different languages and my minor is IS mainly focusing on web development, photoshop and Flash animation.

I own Visual studios, Microsoft XNA Game Studio 4, Flash, Eclipse and a few more that I can't remember.

But youll have me..........but im just some random, what the crap is recursion....what is this i dont even.....for loops, who needs em....just use While's for EVERYTHING.

Offline JaredLS

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 10:53:03 pm »
I'm hoping to get at least 2 to 3 people on each side (programming and graphics). So far, if you help, there will be two programmers and one designer (me). There's another guy that I work with who is a programmer, so we may have 3 programmers already. I am just starting to put a team together so I still need to ask some people I know that are graphic artists, each with their own specialty.

Just FYI- I'm just going to assume this will be a long drawn out process as I am still in school myself and won't graduate until May-June 2013 with my bachelors. Am I jumping the gun a bit?? lol
Maybe we could set up a meeting once every other month to talk about it, plan things, and bounce around ideas, just to keep the "dream" alive.

Offline JaredLS

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 10:57:40 pm »
Whoops...didn't realize that there were two people here...so we could maybe have 4 programmers! The two I could possibly get, DarkWraith, and BiPoLar BuNNy.