Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 7306 times)

Offline SeenNotScene

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
Dragon Age: Origins
« on: November 04, 2009, 10:58:10 am »
The time has finally come, Bioware's newest RPG is out!  Anybody that has loved games like Baulder's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, or even Mass Effect (through all it's faults) will certainly be enthralled by the depth this game has to offer, as well as the hours upon hours of gameplay in store for those with way too much free time on their hands.

You begin by picking your "origin", be it Human, Elf, or Dwarf, followed by what kind of background you come from.  This is where your story begins...

Thus far I am very pleased with the combat as well as the depth of charecters and storyline.  Those loving a challenge, great story, and spending quite a bit of time in the pause menu customizing charectors will feel right at home with this epic RPG.

4.5 out of 5 in my book  ;)

Offline D.G.1031

• OKgamers Supporters
  • Familiar Face
  • the secret code starts with shut up...not UP, UP
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: DJ_GR33NSKULLZ
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 03:28:34 pm »
sounds like a fun immersive game...the last time i played an RPG it was sudeki and fable for the xbox...and i love tactics ogre for the gba

Offline Animefreak6969

• OKgamer fo' life
  • YUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 05:05:28 pm »
Dragon GAYge: Origins is terrible on both consoles.

IF you get it, get it on PC otherwise don't bother

Offline SeenNotScene

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 10:22:17 am »
That's unfair, while I'm positive the experience is better on the PC, it is still the best RPG on the consoles to date, excluding my fav fallout 3 :) Bioware knows how to make em...

Offline Animefreak6969

• OKgamer fo' life
  • YUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 06:11:12 pm »
wrong the PS3 version of this game is so glitchy, choppy and messed up I couldn't stand it.  When every other screen shift makes the world flash in and out and every other "cutscene" has you walking through things in the foreground when yuo're way behind it, that needs to be fixed

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 07:14:35 pm »
Little known fact:
The PC is superior to the console in every way, shape, and form, and Dragon Age is no exception.

:EDIT:
I lied. Consoles are smaller. HOWEVER, that is the only category they can compete in, and technically you can find computers that are just as small that are okay to play on... but I am of course referring to Beefy McManly computers, in which case yes, consoles are indeed smaller.
MY BAD
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 07:18:38 pm by Bees McGee »

Offline okc rage

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: Dr HotSoup
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:53:56 pm »
I want to play this so bad. The KOTOR series are some of my favorite games. Can't wait until I get my hands on a copy.
gt: Dr HotSoup

Offline SeenNotScene

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 01:01:22 pm »
PCs CAN be better, if you want to constantly upgrade your hardware.  I started out with PC gaming way back in the half-life and counter-strike warcraft days, now I have an alienware and barely turn it on.  The best games are on the consoles imo and in the long run, you spend a lot less money being that you don't have to upgrade it (except for maybe a new hdd).  Personal opinion :)

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 01:20:08 pm »
I upgrade my consoles and PC at about the same time - every four years or so.
xbox - xbox 360
ps2 - ps3
gamecube - wi-oh wait that wasn't an upgrade
It is cheaper to upgrade consoles, I will agree with that. But you are still upgrading.
While most of the games I enjoy playing are on console AND PC, I will say that the online competition for anything that is not a shooter (like fighting games... yum) is better on consoles.
Nevertheless, I have veered way off topic. I am sad because I cannot play this game until i go home for thanksgiving, but i am also wary... I hope it is not too much like WOW, I have seen too many comparisons to it.

Offline Animefreak6969

• OKgamer fo' life
  • YUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 04:56:17 pm »
well it isn't every "four" years for consoles, maybe for 360 but the gap between PS2 and PS3 was almost 10 years

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 02:10:13 am »
Ill assume you are referring to the ps2's extended shelf life... the continuous stream of games that are still being released for it? The release of ps2 and ps3 was only 6 years apart... or something else?

Offline Animefreak6969

• OKgamer fo' life
  • YUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 04:04:54 am »
even then, still 6 years, ya they kept PS2 going (are keeping PS2 going?) and it's still selling well, can't argue that.  But once they confirm that a large PS2 library will be downloadable through PSN, that may change.

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: furyswrath
  • XBL ID: furyswrath
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 04:39:27 pm »
well it isn't every "four" years for consoles, maybe for 360 but the gap between PS2 and PS3 was almost 10 years

PS2 Released - November 30, 2000  (so almost 10)  9 to be more exact whos counting right?
PS3 Release -  November 11, 2006  is 3 years old.

So the Gap Between PS2 and 3 is 6 years

So 6 Years Difference between 2 and 3.

XBOX - November 15, 2001
XBOX 360 - November 22, 2005

Gap is 4 years..
So there isnt alot of difference on time wise of the upgrades to either the Sony of Microsoft Products.  they are pretty much neck in neck.

BTW Info Came form Wikipedia..  so if its wrong Blame Wiki.

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 08:18:29 pm »
Got the game for PC and have played it for about 15 hours. The game is decent, but nothing extraordinary. I derive no excitement from it yet feel compelled to constantly play and I imagine it will tide me over until next year with its supposed ~100 hours of gameplay... if I don't get mauled by finals first.

I think I am more of a Mass Effect man; more action and less pausing. Makes me feel like... a halo kiddie or something. Oh well.

Oh wait, this is the review section.

Its uh... an RPG Epic. Do you like "tactical" style gameplay, where you sit in a pause screen for 90% of the battle while deciding what to do with your party members? Because it doesnt matter that they have tactics that you can set, where essentially you can tell them what to be doing when you arent actively telling them what to do, because they are idiots. You will always be telling them what to do if you want to make it past the origins starting levels. Also some bugs. Pretty much the cons right there.

Like Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic, and/or Baldurs gate? Buy.
Like Mass Effect? Dont buy. Unless you wished it was a fantasy setting and had a lot more pausing than just the wheels.
Didnt play any of that? Check out some gameplay vids on youtube. Most are fairly accurate depictions of how the game works.

Offline LionHeart9999

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 12:03:36 am »
I really did like this game. So much in fact I bought the expansion at retail (more than what I paid for the original game). I have the PS3 version, and I didn't mind the minor framerate issues or other minor issues either.

Very similar to Star Wars: KOTOR which I myself highly enjoyed.

I was a Jedi Master in Star Wars KOTOR (1 and 2)
Now the Ferelden Queen in Dragon Age. Wooo!

If you import your DA character to the expansion, and had a decent build, your character will most likely be overpowered if you play on Normal.