Author Topic: Questions about Tournaments  (Read 3830 times)

TsuNaMi

Questions about Tournaments
« on: December 07, 2006, 08:53:39 am »
Okay, some Mod needs to make a thread for questions to be answered.

First off -

1)Why are all the games played Sunday past 6?
Are you expecting a low turnout so the tournament for each game will be short? because a lot of us have school the next day and cant be out past 9 or 10.

2) If we want to play more than one game are you sure that the tournaments wont overlap and that we'll be able to compete on seperate games?

3) Can you give out specifics on the gametypes for the 4v4 Halo 2?
My team would like to practice the gametypes, but we need them to be posted somewhere so we can do that. I think you stated it was only slayer gametypes, so I'm guessing that you know the MLG slayer rules for each map correct? The best MLG maps for slayer are Lockout, Midship, and Sanctuary. I believe these should be the only slayer maps played.

4) Do you have enough xboxs to run a tournament or are you going to be relying on competitors bringing their own?
This could prove to be a problem if it is the latter because most of my teammates are not comfortable with other people using their equipment.

Thanks ahead of time for answering the questions!

GKU MAD SANTA

Re: Questions about Tournaments
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 06:06:06 pm »
same thing for me but I would like to no what gametypes there are going to be and if it is just slayer then what maps i would say lockout.midship,warlock,beaver creek,and sanctuary

Offline Icychiller

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Hitech redneck gamer
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: Icychiller
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 10:54:39 pm »

First off -

Are you expecting a low turnout so the tournament for each game will be short? because a lot of us have school the next day and cant be out past 9 or 10.

2) If we want to play more than one game are you sure that the tournaments wont overlap and that we'll be able to compete on seperate games?

My team would like to practice the gametypes, but we need them to be posted somewhere so we can do that. I think you stated it was only slayer gametypes, so I'm guessing that you know the MLG slayer rules for each map correct? The best MLG maps for slayer are Lockout, Midship, and Sanctuary. I believe these should be the only slayer maps played.

4) Do you have enough xboxs to run a tournament or are you going to be relying on competitors bringing their own?
This could prove to be a problem if it is the latter because most of my teammates are not comfortable with other people using their equipment.

1. X_A will have to answer that one for you

2. X_A will have to answer that one for you

3. @ any and every h2 tourny, most and for most, MLG rules are used, maps include, Lockout, Midship, Beaver Creek, Sancutary, Ivory Tower, Warlock....i tossed up the 07 rules n brackets on a seperate post incase anyone needs it.

4. Well right now xboxs n tvs n h2 depends on ppl comming, my self i have a 16 port hub, 12-14 cat 5s reaching from 15ft-50ft, box, tv,games etc. for mos of the halo 2 stuff i myself would like to take all the concerns and questions about it, thats if x_a woudlnt mine of corse

Offline Pinkie

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 07:21:21 am »
The big thing is is we're just starting out. We polled to see what day would be good for tournaments and Sunday came up, as for it being 6 thats to allow people to work afternoons and go to church and what-not. If we can get a pretty good base of gamers all using this site, have regulars and a big staff, then will you see more organized tournaments. But, essentially X_A has been trying to run all of this himself. You just have to bear with us and basically take what you can get. Every person helps so tell people about the site. When were larger and more organized then you will see things start to take shape, but remember, we're brand new and trying to do something different for everyone.

TsuNaMi

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 04:25:56 pm »
Another question, what are the prizes(if any)?

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 01:41:58 pm »

First off -

First off - I assume if you have questions, you've been someone to go looking for those answers on the forum already.  HOPEFULLY - you read the "READ ME FIRST" thread where you posted.

WHEN YOU POST IN THE TOURNAMENTS SECTION - it goes ALL OVER THE ENTIRE SITE.  So - keep posts in the Tournament section... TOURNAMENTS.

We didn't spend all this time programming the site to make it easy and quick to go to tournaments - to have question threads pop up loool.  Note - I moved your thread for these reasonings.

--

1 - Read this thread: http://www.okgamers.com/forums/index.php?topic=146.msg1360#msg1360

There is no reason why we'd intentionally try and keep those in school out of things.  We are not malicious, nor do we try and hurt you by setting the date as we have.  Heck, one of the staff members can't come and compete in 2 games he loves because he works.  I don't like it, but circumstances dictate what we are doing currently.  Please read that post.

2 - I've been going to tournaments, and competing professionally personally, for 4+ years.  I know that overlapping tournaments can be bad, but yes, we are prepared to do our best to keep all the tournaments running as smoothly as possible, with people bouncing between events.  We aren't going to say we'll be perfect, but we are trying it.

We throw these tournaments to get the word out about this site.  So - we try and  cater to large and diverse groups - to get maximum outreach and use of all our time and efforts.  Hince the 3 games.

3 - if you had read the actual thread...  Did you read the tournament thread before posting this?  Do you realize you waste everyone's time if you don't read before posting lool.

Anyway - yes - we are following as closely to MLG rules as we know them.  In the actual tournament thread, we've linked to another thread that had some very detailed rules posted from another site.  We've been working with what we need to edit and don't carry through on that site.  I'd really have loved your comments on that thread. 

Also - something to check out as I did just post on the tournament thread, we are going to be working with a "on the spot" mentality for any tournament ruling.  If the majority hates it / it's wrong - we'll change.  Next month, we'll do our best to have those rules TOTALLY locked down accurately.  This was a start, please help us in this process by making clear at the tournament / later online that we need to do one thing or another, and we'll do so.  Please, do these comments on the actual threads to help out however.

4 - as I felt was covered in the tournament thread, we rely on the competitors for any hardware we don't personally own ourselves.  This may look like a great professional site, but that's just cause I'm a pro designer lool.  We don't have any official sponsorship currently or anything, as a result, we don't own / have the resources to do more than offer discounts to those bringing hardware that we use - which is mentioned on the site - and also some of this is covered here - please make sure you review this post - http://www.okgamers.com/forums/index.php?topic=146.msg1360#msg1360

Anyway - if you could help me with the verbage on the tournament thread, as I guess it's not clear enough, I'd appreciate it.  We want things as clear as possible, but the writer type we've got 'on staff' doesn't get involved much with the tournament thread creation / day to day stuff on event throwing that we personally do - so we can use all the help we can get.

If your friends don't want to have their boxes / stuff brought used by others, then I'd suggest not bringing it, as I don't know of a way to use just yours for you, and have it run smoothly...  Of course you can use your own controllers, but I'd imagine switching out boxes would be a pain / slow things down.  I'm open to it if there is some angle I'm not seeing though, and once we get the tournament up and running / after on the forums - would love to hear more.

Sorry if your looking for professionally ran Halo 2 tournaments in Oklahoma, and there aren't any large enough to suit.  What we do here, is the best we can muster currently.  As Andrew pointed out, we are just starting.  Our efforts, refined over each event, to try and make things run as smoothly as possible.  Any venue, hardware, or sponsorship resources you know of that can help us improve what we do, I'd love to hear about.  Right now I'm pressed for time, so perhaps after the tournament, since you are local to Tulsa?  Perhaps, we can sit down and talk more Halo specific stuff / improving how we do things.  For now, and this time though, we are doing the best we can to provide some fun and a tournament for people - so that we get the word out about a site created to improve these issues.  If there is no central site to network?  To gather resources and options from different gaming pools?  Then we'll always have small here and there spotty events. 

..Why not have a central website, location based instead of game focused, that people can go to to check out their local events, or post up a event?  This would lead to people knowing ONE place to go to find out about stuff, and also, more interaction between different gamers, and people with resources...  Leading to bigger and better, and more events and tournaments.

I come from a Soul Calibur background.  I saw the need to have better networking and a place focused on being in Oklahoma vs just a specific gaming website to use to network our area.  Colorado, Dallas/Ft Worth - they have these things.  We should too.  So - here we are.  We've got someone crazy enough to host and design it, do we have gamers to man and use it?  Only time will tell.  Please check out this post - http://www.okgamers.com/forums/index.php?topic=146.msg1360#msg1360

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

TsuNaMi

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 02:35:48 pm »
well i didnt know it went all across the site, lol ;D my bad.
and you sound pissed at me...theres no need to be really...i was just trying to get things clarified.
thanks for all the info, and just one more question. i actually posted it in another topic...and i hope you havent answered it there yet as im about to go delete that post right now.

theres a contradiction in your post. you say team slayer tournament, but the link is to an old MLG tournament run about 4 months ago which also has CTF gametypes.

thanks for your time regarding my questions, i really appreciate it.

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
omg I'm so behind today
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 02:59:20 pm »
well i didnt know it went all across the site, lol ;D my bad.
and you sound pissed at me...theres no need to be really...i was just trying to get things clarified.
thanks for all the info, and just one more question. i actually posted it in another topic...and i hope you havent answered it there yet as im about to go delete that post right now.

theres a contradiction in your post. you say team slayer tournament, but the link is to an old MLG tournament run about 4 months ago which also has CTF gametypes.

thanks for your time regarding my questions, i really appreciate it.

Hahah - if I come across annoyed sounding, it's just a combination of being stressed for time today, you posting IN THE TOURNAMENT SECTION BOOO!@# lol, and the fact a couple of the newer posters haven't really read much before they post - thus asking the same questions over and over again, which combined with short time, and the fact you sounding bad when i read "Are you expecting a low turnout so the tournament for each game will be short? " more like "Are you trying to short the tournaments by making it too late for shool kids to come" lol.

Yea - the whole slayer vs ctf thing has confused me as well - pr1mo said that's how MLG did it, and yet it was still slayer?...  Dunno, my Halo rule knowledge is limited, so I just have to go with what I'm told lool.

We'll get it locked down rules wise for the next tourny thread if nothing else.  If it's not team slayer only - is it refered to as 4v4 Team Slayer/CTF perhaps?!@  Dunno, let me know for next time pls.

AHH LATE!@#

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

TsuNaMi

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 03:19:30 pm »
Ohhh, okay that clears a lot up. I didnt know if you were running an only slayer tournament with MLG rules for slayer..or an actual MLG-like tournament. Since you got your info from pr1mo then i know that you intend to be close to MLG and not just play slayer gametypes. So im guessing there will be CTF, thats cool.

and i wasnt saying that i thought you were trying to lower the turnout..i just thought that it must be a low turnout if you can get the tournies done in 2 hours, lol. MLG tournaments take days...yeah.

Thanks for clearing all of that up!