Author Topic: LED-LCD or Plasma?  (Read 5769 times)

DarkWraith56

Re: LED-LCD or Plasma?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 10:20:13 am »
No i mean as in input lag. theres probably like 1-5 ms on it i havent actually tested it legitimately but, Guitar hero plays well on it, and i can nail all of my just frames on soul calibur with it.

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 12:33:55 pm »
oh. is it a monitor? because they don't usually do post processing and scaling.

id get a monitor but i kind of already have a tv

DarkWraith56

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 03:53:59 pm »
oh. is it a monitor? because they don't usually do post processing and scaling.

id get a monitor but i kind of already have a tv

yeah its an HP monitor actually, its pretty nice though. use it for pretty much everything now lol.

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 07:42:46 pm »
so is your ps3 hooked up via hdmi or vga?

DarkWraith56

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 08:47:43 pm »
so is your ps3 hooked up via hdmi or vga?

I dont have a PS3 :( but my 360 is hooked up via VGA, and my PC is hooked up DVI, i get no lag, and i would notice lag in CSS, so if there is any its not significant at all.

Offline Solidus

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: SolidusSpriggan
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 08:23:26 am »
Unless there is something terribly wrong with your television, it shouldn't lag if you have an HD signal going over a digital connection. The lag happens during the process of converting a non-native input to a native one, this is why Melee players play on CRTs still.

DarkWraith56

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 11:26:45 am »
Unless there is something terribly wrong with your television, it shouldn't lag if you have an HD signal going over a digital connection. The lag happens during the process of converting a non-native input to a native one, this is why Melee players play on CRTs still.

Not really, most TV's have a ton of post processing now.

Offline SeenNotScene

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 05:18:39 pm »
120hz LED-LCD (especially locally dimmed) are the best reasonably priced monitors you can get now. You have chosen a plasma screen due to your personal preference for a LACK of clarity. You are complaining about aliasing or other "jaggy" elements of video games...well those are actually part of the game, if you choose a TV that "softens" that effect, you are essentially losing visual information.

You are correct, I prefer a smoother picture doing fast action scenes or moments in video games and blu-rays over jerky and pixelated, pretty sure I have some backing in that department.  Also, don't know too many programmers but I have to assume they want the best experience possible for gamers at heart.

I also think that LED-LCDs are currently on par with the black levels of plasmas, maybe better in some respects of contrast and color.

Blacks imo were definetely better on the LED ( I mentioned that in the OP).  Contrast is debatable.

At this point, anyone looking to buy a TV should probably get something on the cheap, a last gen 60hz LCD television without LED backlight should hold you over until 3D tvs begin to hit the market, which is what you will really want.

3D Technology is brand spankin' new.  There is ZERO content for it and will likely be a couple of years before there is a decent amount.  By that time new technology will be here as well.  I'd say wait on 3D tvs, but in the end it's your money, and your decision.

And of course, these are all OPINIONS and I am by no means a qualified reviewer, I was just giving my story in the hopes it helps someone looking for a new television :)

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 12:20:54 am »

they also usually have a game mode which gets rid of that

except for mine, of course

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

DarkWraith56

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 07:20:44 am »

they also usually have a game mode which gets rid of that

except for mine, of course

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

yeah my toshiba doesnt get rid of it either, its a nice picture but CRAP does it lag.

Offline inCHAINS

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 05:43:48 pm »
Yeah, Plasmas are great, but I really need my T.V. to last me a while. I'm young and kinda strapped for cash. My LCD is light years beyond my SDTV and that's what matters to me. As far as sound quality goes, I too use a headset.
Trying to be a living sacrifice.