Author Topic: Gamer Hall Business Idea  (Read 6523 times)

Offline Monkeyjl

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
Gamer Hall Business Idea
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:07:30 pm »
Okay need some opinion guys and gals! After selling my business Im starting to get bored. I have a idea of opening some game halls around some of the high schools. Not necessarily pool halls, more like Gamer style halls "that yes might have one or two pool tables". PlayStation, Xbox, 42'' plus TV's, theater seating, vending or food areas. That 92'' TV at Mathis Brother would look good for football games. Will have tournament nights with prizes on the weekends. Cover charges at the door,maybe even a pay to play system instead. IS THIS A GOOD OR BAD IDEA????? good being you or friends would show up bad meaning you wouldn't.

Offline rev

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Gamer Hall Business Idea
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:49:33 am »
In this day and age, its REALLY hard to get people to pay to do something they can do at home.  It's why lan centers, cyber cafes and arcades have gone the way of the dodo, state-side.  There are a few examples of successful business models, but they are few and far between and heavily reliant on regional demographics and other enticements, such as food, alcohol, etc.  Also, if you appeal to the high school crowd, you will need on site security or bouncers.  I worked about 10+ years in various arcade and family entertainment centers, and that demographic is almost more trouble than they are worth.  The closer to a high school you are, the more baby sitting you will be doing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:52:50 am by rev »

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:16:31 am »

Welcome to the site!  I did remove your 'duplicate post' - as we request topics don't get spammed, etc.

Rev has some valid points; although I'd focus in on the fact there isn't any 'tourist locations' in OK; so whether your talking about setting up shop in Tulsa, OKC, etc - you've got that to fight.

A friend of the site and long time entrepreneur stated anything that WOULD work like that, would need to have alcohol involved; so I'd stand by his words there. 

As for my advice - don't worry about the games, or the alcohol as much as what experience you'd be selling; and if it's worth your locals to continue to support you.  Anything survives in a non-tourist town through local clientele.

At the end of the day, when I go to meet with any new business, or business new to gaming - I remind them that there isn't really any money in tournaments, as most needs to go to the pot, etc - else gamers won't show up.  Ancillary products and services, secondary values - are definitely there.  Just depends.

Also - these things come up every month or 2.  I've talked to probably at least 20+ groups over the last few years; and none have made it to market yet.  One group seemed close, but I am not sure they got their funding...  Not sure it's a good idea after that; even with a 'passion' for something, it can't make the reality of the market change.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Monkeyjl

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:18:25 pm »
Thanks for the official and non official responses, I recently sold my security and investigations agency for 1million. I would have the funding however after reading the replies i've decided not to try going that route. Thanks again for the help!

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 02:34:18 pm »
Thanks for the official and non official responses, I recently sold my security and investigations agency for 1million. I would have the funding however after reading the replies i've decided not to try going that route. Thanks again for the help!

I beg to differ I think you should give me a call and I can help you run it right. I dont know where Rev gets his information. We havent had ONE single bouncer at an event.

I disagree with you also XA. Tournaments, the money is in the sponsors. You should know that, why do you think I'm still in business?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:42:12 pm by Timmy Skorcher »
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

Offline rev

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 04:43:31 pm »
maybe my information comes from experience? 

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 05:40:24 pm »
maybe my information comes from experience?

Let's not get insulting; in the end all 3 have different experiences.

Rev has worked for them.
I've worked beside them, and had numerous 'never to be' experiences.
Timmy has been "in the process" of building one for a long time, and I do believe has decided to go another route?

All 3 have their values, and lessons to be learned.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline Monkeyjl

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 02:24:34 pm »
Either way security is a simple fix, have been providing security and investigative services for years now. Sold the business that I created from the very start on my own. I'm now only 27 years old and know business management inside and out. If anyone doesn't think this is a money pit and is willing to actually talk business or throw there hat in the ring with an experienced business owner lets talk and see were it leads us. Most people think business = scary its really not and actually is pretty easy. If you have the cash and are willing to invest in a fun project, that might get the support of local gamers I'm game. If not its just an idea, that I had while being bored at the house playing MW3 with my family. Like I said just an idea!

Thanks again guys had lots of emails come in last night.

Offline Monkeyjl

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 03:07:20 pm »
Okay second idea guys, instead of a high investment high rick business how about just an every weekend of putting together a MW3 tournament in OKC, ill put up around $500.00 of my own cash weekly to get things going and Ill rent a conference center for the night. It will most likely be at a Best Western Saddle Back Inn & Conference Center.  Its one of my old clients, which will cater to us gamers for the night. There will be a $15.00 charge to play and a RSVP will be needed to participate in the event. After the first $500.00 of the pot is covered then the pot will raise $10.00 per every $15.00 received. Why not the full $15.00 because the establishment needs to be paid for. We will need TV's and systems to play on. Anyone willing to donate the system for the night will get free entree into the tournament. Security will be provided by the hotel, my ex-employees some are police officers. Will be held on a weekend of coarse for maximum crowd. They do have a bar inside of the hotel and they would appreciate the business.  BETTER IDEA GUYS???

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 04:42:18 pm »
Okay second idea guys, instead of a high investment high rick business how about just an every weekend of putting together a MW3 tournament in OKC, ill put up around $500.00 of my own cash weekly to get things going and Ill rent a conference center for the night. It will most likely be at a Best Western Saddle Back Inn & Conference Center.  Its one of my old clients, which will cater to us gamers for the night. There will be a $15.00 charge to play and a RSVP will be needed to participate in the event. After the first $500.00 of the pot is covered then the pot will raise $10.00 per every $15.00 received. Why not the full $15.00 because the establishment needs to be paid for. We will need TV's and systems to play on. Anyone willing to donate the system for the night will get free entree into the tournament. Security will be provided by the hotel, my ex-employees some are police officers. Will be held on a weekend of coarse for maximum crowd. They do have a bar inside of the hotel and they would appreciate the business.  BETTER IDEA GUYS???

405-370-8381 Call me.

@Rev no its not experience cuz I have more then you. Gaming makes money, the problem is promotion and collaboration of cliques. If you can get organizations to some how meet in the middle it works alot better hint hint OKgamers/GFlo/HxC who  all have collaborated and has successful events. Also I dont know what you guys are talking about not making money cuz I profited last year soooooo.. Yea
HxC LAN Center

Offline rev

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 05:07:27 pm »
Apparently you missed the "there are successful business models but they are few and far between."it is a high risk business because there are WWWAAAYYY more unsuccessful places.  He was originally talking about a static location, not running tournaments periodically.  I've also had a decade or more of working in the industry and dealing with national tournament scenes.  Success in the gaming industry is HIGHLY reliant on local demographics and "right place, right time.". While OKC may be a stronger market for it, tulsa is not.

Offline Monkeyjl

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 03:26:50 pm »
Sorry guys had this big response typed up, when i got a call from my aunt that my grandmother was laying on the floor in her living room. Apparently had another stroke so I was with her until 4am.

Anyone interested just email me your contact info. I've had several others do this already which is making me think we are on to something. I do not see the original business idea actually gaining to much momentum here in Oklahoma we are not LA or NYC that has a big enough community that would be willing to spend the money on something they can do at home. However a few radio advertisements and that giant sign the BW hotel has I'm sure we could draw a few people in for a weekend event or two. Not to mention the amount of people associated with these local forums and other smaller gaming communities. I think the potential for a decent draw might get the momentum to start something fun and maybe profitable. I'll start calling those who sent me info this weekend. got to handle the family stuff first. Lets see what we are working with and the ideas you guys have.

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 04:25:48 pm »
Apparently you missed the "there are successful business models but they are few and far between."it is a high risk business because there are WWWAAAYYY more unsuccessful places.  He was originally talking about a static location, not running tournaments periodically.  I've also had a decade or more of working in the industry and dealing with national tournament scenes.  Success in the gaming industry is HIGHLY reliant on local demographics and "right place, right time.". While OKC may be a stronger market for it, tulsa is not.

I feel you 95% but the one thing Oklahoma lacks is advertisement is expensive. With the right advertisement I'm positive it would work. Tournaments aside, tournaments do not make the community, but I know a LAN Center, internet cafe, arcade would work cuz I get no ♥♥♥♥ 10 calls a day of people trying to host a party, come LAN, etc.
HxC LAN Center

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 04:27:25 pm »
email me [email protected] I have the whole plan laid out.
HxC LAN Center

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 08:19:39 am »