Author Topic: Ventrillo or Teamspeak  (Read 9593 times)

Offline D3AD

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: all my tags: D3ADL
Re: Ventrillo or Teamspeak
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 04:19:25 am »
Yup, I still have mine that I use EVERYDAY! Still has LoL players (both from OK and not) along with other games. Been stating it from the beginning, it's free for anyone to come on in! ...but state your vent name and game you're looking to use it for :)

What i think everyone is wanting.. is one "just for OK" to where we have full power over vent... and to were we can use it for Tournys or w/e it maybe.. im just saying lol..
Either be one of the best, or be dead like the rest

Offline Sysyphus300021

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: sysyphus300021
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 10:14:30 am »
Well my vent will be just for okgamers if that is what we want. Nobody else is using it and the password will only be given out to okgamers. Is that what your wanting? If we need to get a few admins from the site for the vent server that is ok with me. We can use it for tournament or what ever is needed. Just let me know. It looks like there are two of us offering this so just tell us which server you want to use.

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: furyswrath
  • XBL ID: furyswrath
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 02:24:11 pm »
If this is done by OKgamers, I will be setting it up. As it will be the Only Officially sanctioned voice server for OKgamers.

There are many reasons for this. Most I don't wanna type out while using my phone. But main reason is accountability. And the other would be I've got a couple offers from mainstream companies I'm working on a deal with. OKgamers is a Non-Profit Organization and big businesses love that because things they give us are tax deductible for them.

Rules also have to be established as you know the site is an E for everyone site. As will the voice server for most channels. Notice I said most. I'm working on a disclaimer for the others.

We shall see though. I probably won't do anything else with this till I return from vacation so look for something to happens towards the end of June or 1st of July time frame .

This post was from my Android Phone using the TapaTalk App. Try it you'll like it.

Offline Sysyphus300021

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: sysyphus300021
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 10:45:22 am »
Ok well if we can't have a vent for realtime chat with other okgamers then can we find something else? I have had several people message me and say they would like to have a vent or something to talk with other okgamers. Does not have to be in a game specific room. Could we maybe try to get everyone to use xfire. That is free easy program that would allow us to talk in game. It just seems that people want something more then this forum to communicate. The non-profit should have no effect on if we have a vent or xfire for he members.

Offline D3AD

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 07:42:59 pm »
If this is done by OKgamers, I will be setting it up. As it will be the Only Officially sanctioned voice server for OKgamers.

There are many reasons for this. Most I don't wanna type out while using my phone. But main reason is accountability. And the other would be I've got a couple offers from mainstream companies I'm working on a deal with. OKgamers is a Non-Profit Organization and big businesses love that because things they give us are tax deductible for them.

Rules also have to be established as you know the site is an E for everyone site. As will the voice server for most channels. Notice I said most. I'm working on a disclaimer for the others.

We shall see though. I probably won't do anything else with this till I return from vacation so look for something to happens towards the end of June or 1st of July time frame .

This post was from my Android Phone using the TapaTalk App. Try it you'll like it.

I dont think we are looking for this to be done BY OKgamers.. Just the PC gamers.. and another thing there would b no way to keep it PG or E rating..  lol        MOST of are PC Gamers are older 17+ if im not mistaken.. young adults anyways..  the chat gets nasty some times.. stuff dont go your way.. and when u play competitive its even worst..       

If you were looking as to were "WE" wouldint have to pay for vent.. use that for something else (tourny prizes anything that we could use.. for LAN events).. as were we do have means of communication.. its just getting everyone there to use it is the prob..

And no offense but what your talking about rules ect..  i dont think to many OKgamers would join it.. u know? having someone sponsor it and then control something we already have other servers and/or other means of communication that they are free to do what they want.. i dont think it would b super great..  like i said.. if u got those kind of connections.. use it to get us some LANs going or to give bigger prizes for some tournys

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 10:24:48 pm »

I dont think we are looking for this to be done BY OKgamers.. Just the PC gamers.. and another thing there would b no way to keep it PG or E rating..  lol        MOST of are PC Gamers are older 17+ if im not mistaken.. young adults anyways..  the chat gets nasty some times.. stuff dont go your way.. and when u play competitive its even worst..       

If you were looking as to were "WE" wouldint have to pay for vent.. use that for something else (tourny prizes anything that we could use.. for LAN events).. as were we do have means of communication.. its just getting everyone there to use it is the prob..

And no offense but what your talking about rules ect..  i dont think to many OKgamers would join it.. u know? having someone sponsor it and then control something we already have other servers and/or other means of communication that they are free to do what they want.. i dont think it would b super great..  like i said.. if u got those kind of connections.. use it to get us some LANs going or to give bigger prizes for some tournys

What do you mean not looking for Not Done By OKgamers?  You Realize who I am Correct?  Just making sure..  Im not just some  Random Guy ya know..

Its gotta have rules established Hands down.  In order to have a Free Service Provided it has to have some sorta set bound rules.   

Offline I EAT LEGOS

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 01:50:35 am »
I think it's more like... what will the newly developed ventrilo server have over an already established one? Just in my point of view, but if you were start one up... I probably won't be in it at all unless it's for an event or something. It's tough to bring in people to get your money's worth for renting/buying a server.

Rules are a must, of course, but what more is there than "don't spam/troll"? That stuff is easy to tone down or get rid of. IDK! My 2ยข

Offline D3AD

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 05:44:38 pm »

What do you mean not looking for Not Done By OKgamers?  You Realize who I am Correct?  Just making sure..  Im not just some  Random Guy ya know..

Its gotta have rules established Hands down.  In order to have a Free Service Provided it has to have some sorta set bound rules.   

But thats the whole thing.. i know your not a Random guy.. But we dont need "free service" as in sponsored when we have more then enough options  then to be controlled.

And yes i know who you are lol..

and when i ment by OKgamers i mean more like i dont want it "controlled" besides what legos said the spaming..  theres not much u can do.. and the way your explaining it is gonna be like a daycare..  and thats something i myself dont want nor do i think anyone else.. 

There will b fowl words.. and from what your saying.. like if u mess up your out..  im just saying in general myself i wouldint even join that. why go throw all the upset and raging if i got thrown out.. when in all it could of been avoided...

i will say i do rage.. but when i rage. i just leave so u dont hear me xD lol u can ask the ppl i play with lol..

^^ and thats just going by what your saying or what i sounds like..

and honestly i think most of this "vent" would be filled with LoL players...      we have a community  over 50+ now..

now if the vent was of course for OKgamers.. but if we had the freedom without rules.. aside from spamming/trolling..  then yes..  not a bad idea.... BUT why and go and spend the money/sponsorship on something that we already have?

we have legos and Sysyphus300021 that have vents already

but i think we should go with Sysyphus300021 (srry legos) because if im not mistaken he "owns" his.. and it can be more for just okgamers..
that and u wont have to make a 1000000accounts just to add us into your vent legos

Offline Furyswrath

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 01:09:29 pm »
I understand people have their own. But we cannot rely on those to be there all the time. Someone has to be fully responsible and liable.

I'm a programmer by trade its what I do for a living. And I can Integrate Team speak into OKgamers.com easy so that people already members of the community can have a personal account.
Vent.. I'm still evaluating their API to see if that can be done. I don't see maintaining user accounts as a problem because they can be cross referenced to member profiles on the site. Spam problem fixed right there.

Rule wise.. only 2 rules the way I see it

1. Gotta be a member of OKGamers.com which what I said above will take care of that.

2. No profanity unless your in the channels designated for profanity. And you gotta be 18+ to be in those channels.

No daycare needed. News travels fast if people are breaking rules.

But this is probably gonna happen whether you all use it or not. There are tons of people asking for it that are site lurkers that refuse to post.

I just need to look into vent more to see what I can program up for site user Integration. Its easy on TS but I got a slight learning curve on vent.

Offline theimmortalmoo

• Familiar Face
    • View Profile
    • My clan
  • XBL ID: immortal moo
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 06:37:27 pm »
I am in favor a for an official OK gamers "voip"
As for conduct for it,  Raging shouldn't happen over the mic anyways, your an adult act like one scenario should be in effect, no one wants to play a game with someone yelling in the headset or playing music, that's what Xbox is for haha.

Offline k1DBLITZ

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
    • blog.k1DBLITZ.com
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 09:47:39 am »
Just wanted to point out there is another option.... that is FREE. - Dolby Axon. https://axon.dolby.com/

We use it in our group. While it may not have all the features of vent or TS it's simple, easy to use, and you can create persistent chat rooms.

One neat feature is that access to the chat room is controller by invitation, not password.
blog.k1DBLITZ.com
liquidpalooza.teamlqd.com

Offline SteveTheSupport

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 02:52:11 pm »
Prefer Skype. No lag issues EVER.

Offline theimmortalmoo

• Familiar Face
    • View Profile
    • My clan
  • XBL ID: immortal moo
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 11:20:36 pm »
Prefer Skype. No lag issues EVER.

Only "issue" with skype is it uses more resources than other communication software. (Praying for DX support in linux someday)
And all the voice software is better than that of the consoles

Offline Paradox

• Familiar Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 08:17:56 pm »
If you make it a only OKGamers voip your gonna find a lot of people constantly leaving it. I play with a few OKers but a lot of the time I am not and I am meeting a lot of people(who arent okgamers) for the first time in games and through talking with them we get on voip to continue playing. I would suggest you make a few channels "open" to guests and the majority "locked" which you have to be a OKGamer to get into. If guests aren't allowed period you are going to be shooting yourself in the foot.

Offline D3AD

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 09:27:33 pm »
If you make it a only OKGamers voip your gonna find a lot of people constantly leaving it. I play with a few OKers but a lot of the time I am not and I am meeting a lot of people(who arent okgamers) for the first time in games and through talking with them we get on voip to continue playing. I would suggest you make a few channels "open" to guests and the majority "locked" which you have to be a OKGamer to get into. If guests aren't allowed period you are going to be shooting yourself in the foot.

^^ agreed and like i said b4.. limiting peoples powers by having "rules" for ONLINE.. they will just go else where.. and honestly i think this idea should just be droped..  1 way or another we do communicate with people.. like for LoL we have the Chat room for OKgamers to join.. they dont have to stay..  we like it if everyone from LoL joined the chat room "ok"     but we talk there.. and once we get in groups.. we normally decide what we wanna use vent, skype, ts3, mumble or w/e i run them all..  so to me its not a huge deal.. but i just dont see this working..
and i dont play with OKgamers alll day everyday that i do play..  but i may play with 1 or 2 friends from OK.. and the other 2-3 players mayb from NY.. and so having them join the OKgamers vent would b a little silly.... or if they cant join bc its only OKgamers..

Now if u wanted to set a side a vent channel for Tourneys i think that would do ok.. password control every room.. have u a few mods in there during a tourney as "reffs" even at that.. its not like we run a tourney everyday..